Green signal (DPMS) problem

Post by Andrei Demekho » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

According to FAQ, DPMS support is included in kernel, so one should just
use "setterm" command with appropriate flag to enable switching a
"green" monitor off. I have put "setterm -powersave on" in my rc.M
script, and enabled power management mode in BIOS, but my monitor is not
switched off after any period of inactivity!

Please help me, thank you very much.

E-mail CC: would be appreciated

Andrei
--
Andrei Demekhov

Green signal (DPMS) problem

Post by Nicolas Saye » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> According to FAQ, DPMS support is included in kernel, so one should just
> use "setterm" command with appropriate flag to enable switching a
> "green" monitor off. I have put "setterm -powersave on" in my rc.M
> script, and enabled power management mode in BIOS, but my monitor is not
> switched off after any period of inactivity!

I took a little time to solve this problem, but it is solvable:
Take a look at the file /usr/src/linux/drivers/char/vesa_blank.c
You can tell the kernel what kind of signal to send to your video to
shut the monitor down. IT WORKS FINE ON MY BOX!
--

 -=- Nicolas Sayer -=-    _   _            - Computer Scientist -

Cell: 33 06.60.42.42.45____=.=__ \___http://www.imaginet.fr/~sayer
                          m " m _/
  Linux / TeX / C++ / HTML / TCP/IP / NeXt / Roger Waters / Queen
         K.Kieslowski / B&O / Guiness... & NOTHING else!

Green signal (DPMS) problem

Post by Bernhard Sadlows » Sun, 17 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>According to FAQ, DPMS support is included in kernel, so one should just
>use "setterm" command with appropriate flag to enable switching a
>"green" monitor off. I have put "setterm -powersave on" in my rc.M
>script, and enabled power management mode in BIOS, but my monitor is not
>switched off after any period of inactivity!

What FAQ are you talking about ? I've searched the /usr/src/linux source tree
but couldn't find any references to "dpms".

Bernhard
--
Bernhard Sadlowski

Green signal (DPMS) problem

Post by Shaw Carruthe » Sun, 17 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>According to FAQ, DPMS support is included in kernel, so one should just
>use "setterm" command with appropriate flag to enable switching a
>"green" monitor off. I have put "setterm -powersave on" in my rc.M
>script, and enabled power management mode in BIOS, but my monitor is not
>switched off after any period of inactivity!

Under X there is a separate power_save option documented under
XF86Config.
--

London SW14 7JW UK
This is not a sig( with homage to Magritte).

1. Enabling Screen "Green" Features (VESA DPMS)

I would like to enable "green" power saving features for my monitors
under ODT5 (and ODT3) - Is this currently supported?

If so, how do you enable this for activation for the text and graphics
consoles (ie. replacement screen savers which can trigger the power down
modes instead of simply blanking the screen).

I am using VESA DPMS compliant video cards and monitors.
(eg. Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM card).

Thanks,
-Rob

--
Robert Weiner / Programming Plus        Hardware & Software Consulting

2. Reading Core Files, forking, and changing root

3. Vesa DPMS - pwer saving green monitor patch

4. iptables + vnc + multiple machines

5. Sync + Green => Sync on green

6. Thinking of trying FreeBSD

7. green and very green ---how to set up sendmail in Solaris 8( intel)

8. Novell on Sun OS 4.1?

9. DPMS Problem

10. Help to save the planet (DPMS problems).

11. PROBLEM: Green screen in XFree86 3.1

12. green newbie dial-up and modem problems

13. 4.4 ports install problem (green question?)