print two a4-pages on one A4-sheet automatically

print two a4-pages on one A4-sheet automatically

Post by Ingo Hamman » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I am trying to set up a (virtual - if this is the correct word)
printer that gets Postscript-files as input an reformats them
so that there are two pages on one A4-sheet.

I'm using SuSE Linux 6.3 and a Hewlett Packard Laserjet 4 Postscript
Printer that has its own network interface.

I wanted to use pstops for the reformatting-job (the pagespec I

manpage]). pstops can read from stdin and writes the output to
stdout so that it should work fine as a printfilter. When I try

it works as it should.

I added an entry in the /etc/printcap :

hp1_2p|remote printer on hp1:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp1_2p:\
        :rm=hp1:\
        :rp=lp:\

        :lf=/tmp/lperr:\
        :bk:sh:mx#0:

but nothing happens (no output to /tmp/lperr either). So I tried to
use a very simple Perl-script as the inputfilter instead:

#!/usr/bin/perl
open(OUTFILE, ">/tmp/lprout");
while(<STDIN>) {
    print OUTFILE $_;
    print $_;

Quote:}

close(OUTFILE);

with    ...
        :if=/usr/bin/echops:\
in the printcap.

This works just fine (and it also only reads from stdin and puts
stuff out on stdout, I added the OUTFILE-output for control-purposes
only). I cannot figure out why things don't go well when I use pstops.

Any ideas ? Thanks in advance !

Ingo

Post by Ingo Hamman » Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:55:53

[...]

1. How to sqeeze two PostScript pages on one A4?

Hi,

I want two pages on one A4 paper.

I have the large document in postscript as well as PDF format.

The original format (PS as well as PDF) will do one page per A4.
I would like to squeeze two pages on one A4, to reduce the
number of paper output:

   50 percent reduction,
   landscape,
   two pages next to each other

Is there a (free) tool that can do that for me?

Whatever I do with ghostview or acroread, it keeps printing
one page on an A4.

PLEASE HELP!

Rob.

-------------

Software/hardware configuration:

ghostview: 3.5.8
acroread: 4.0
Linux RedHat 6.0 kernel 2.5.5-15
Pentium II PC - 350 MHz - 64 Mb Ram

2. DE205 10base2/thinwire port under Netbsd/i386 1.4.1??

3. I would like to print A4-copies, but I only manage to print A3.

4. Win98 / Linux not happy together

5. 2391 page set up for A4

6. ls source for solaris

7. A4 Tech PS/2 Mouse (optical one wheel) Under Redhat 7.3

8. XF4 keyboard problems, including endless spacebar autorepeat

9. star office prints A4 only ?????????

10. Kdvi always prints A4

11. Help with Printing to A4 printers

12. Help needed : Setup printer for A4 and A3 printing under Solaris 2.5.1

13. Printing on A4 in KDE