Subject: Multi OS System
Windows 95 + Windows NT + DOS 6.22 + Linux (Red Hat and Slackware)
I use a LILO bootloader that allows me to access Linux (I have two
versions installed), Windows 95 (OSR2), DOS (6.22) and Windows (3.11)
and NT 4.0.
There are no reasons why I did this or used these specific OSs. It
a good Sunday afternoon project.
I hope this is of some help to somebody somewhere, and if there is an
easier way (without buying System Commander), please let me know, as I
am a linux newbie.
The machine I used was a generic 166MMX, 64 MB RAM, and 4.1 GB, 3.5
4.1 GB Hard Disks and a 32X Teac CD.
1. Under DOS, and using rawrite, I made installation disks for both
versions of Linux that I wanted to install (Slackware 3.1 and Red Hat
2. I used Linux fdisk and created a /root (100MB) and /usr directory
each of the first two hard disks, and a common swap partition (128 MB)
first HDD. I left all other space unpartitioned.
3. I rebooted, disabled my primary master in cmos, and installed Dos
for Workgroups on HDB3. I then formatted partitions on HDB4, HDC1 and
HDC2 as FAT16.
I used FAT16 because all the OSs would be able to access them.
4. I then installed NT 4.0 over DOS on HDB3 choosing the "Leave
current file system
intact". This gives me the option of choosing NT or DOS when I boot
5. I rebooted, re-enabled my primary master, and disabled my primary
If you do not do this Win95 SR2 will mess with the MBR on the second
6. I then installed Windows 95 on HDA4. I had to use FAT32 because
of FDISK 4 partition
limit. If I used FAT16 I could not use all the remaining space on the
partition as DOS.
7. I then installed Slackware on HDB1.
8. I then installed Red Hat on HDA1.
9. I enabled LILO and customized my /etc/boot.msg and /etc/lilo.conf
(below are the examples)
It all works well, even though to get to DOS I really have count on
the NT Kernel.
Timeout Setting is 50 Sec
Default OS is Windows 95
For RedHat Linux type redhat
For Slackware Linux type slack
For Windows 95 type win95
For DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.1 dos
For Windows NT Workstation 4 nt
>I just recently purchased RH 5.0. Next week, I'm hopefully getting a
>new computer with WIn 95 on it. I wish to put Linux, Win95 and NT on
>either the same 6.3gig HD or 2 separte drives.
>Could someone please suggest the best order for installation and what
>order to set up the partitions.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks in advance
>P.S. Any replies via email must delete the 'REMOVE' section