Installing Linux/Win 95/Win NT

Post by Nick.. » Wed, 11 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I just recently purchased RH 5.0. Next week, I'm hopefully getting a
new computer with WIn 95 on it. I wish to put Linux, Win95 and NT on
either the same 6.3gig HD or 2 separte drives.

Could someone please suggest the best order for installation and what
order to set up the partitions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Nick

P.S. Any replies via email must delete the 'REMOVE' section

Post by Hugh B. Mayna » Thu, 12 Feb 1998 04:00:00

: Hi

: I just recently purchased RH 5.0. Next week, I'm hopefully getting a
: new computer with WIn 95 on it. I wish to put Linux, Win95 and NT on
: either the same 6.3gig HD or 2 separte drives.

: Could someone please suggest the best order for installation and what
: order to set up the partitions.

I set it up in the following order:  Win95, Linux, NT

In this order Lilo boots either to dos or linux (which is all that
I really use) and if dos is chosen the NT boot then allows a choice
of either Win95 or NT.

--
                                       *   Hugh B. Maynard

Installing Linux/Win 95/Win NT

Post by C. Perki » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Subject: Multi OS System

Windows 95 + Windows NT + DOS 6.22 + Linux (Red Hat and Slackware)

I use a LILO bootloader that allows me to access Linux (I have two
versions installed), Windows 95 (OSR2), DOS (6.22) and Windows (3.11)
and NT 4.0.

There are no reasons why I did this or used these specific OSs.  It
just made
a good Sunday afternoon project.

I hope this is of some help to somebody somewhere, and if there is an
easier way (without buying System Commander), please let me know, as I
am a linux newbie.

Specs:
The machine I used was a generic 166MMX, 64 MB RAM, and 4.1 GB, 3.5
GB,
4.1 GB Hard Disks and a 32X Teac CD.

1.  Under DOS, and using rawrite, I made installation disks for both
versions of Linux that I wanted to install (Slackware 3.1 and Red Hat
4.2)

2.  I used Linux fdisk and created a /root (100MB) and /usr directory
on
each of the first two hard disks, and a common swap partition (128 MB)
on the
first HDD.  I left all other space unpartitioned.

3.  I rebooted, disabled my primary master in cmos, and installed Dos
and Windows
for Workgroups on HDB3.  I then formatted partitions on HDB4, HDC1 and
HDC2 as FAT16.
I used FAT16 because all the OSs would be able to access them.

4.  I then installed NT 4.0 over DOS on HDB3 choosing the "Leave
current file system
intact".  This gives me the option of choosing NT or DOS when I boot
to this
partition.

5.  I rebooted, re-enabled my primary master, and disabled my primary
slave.
If you do not do this Win95 SR2 will mess with the MBR on the second
hard disk.

6.  I then installed Windows 95 on HDA4.  I had to use FAT32 because
of FDISK 4 partition
limit.  If I used FAT16 I could not use all the remaining space on the
partition as DOS.

7.  I then installed Slackware on HDB1.

8.  I then installed Red Hat on HDA1.

9.  I enabled LILO and customized my /etc/boot.msg and /etc/lilo.conf
(below are the examples)

It all works well, even though to get to DOS I really have count on
the NT Kernel.

Chad Perkins

#/etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/etc/boot.msg
prompt
timeout=50
other=/dev/hda4
        label=win95
        table=/dev/hda
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=redhat
        root=/dev/hda1
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=slack
        root=/dev/hdb2
        read-only
other=/dev/hdb3
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hdb
        loader=/boot/any_d.b
other=/dev/hdb3
        label=nt
        table=/dev/hdb
        loader=/boot/any_d.b

#/etc/boot.msg
Timeout Setting is 50 Sec
Default OS is Windows 95
For RedHat Linux type         redhat
For Slackware Linux type      slack
For Windows 95 type           win95
For DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.1    dos
For Windows NT Workstation 4  nt

>Hi

>I just recently purchased RH 5.0. Next week, I'm hopefully getting a
>new computer with WIn 95 on it. I wish to put Linux, Win95 and NT on
>either the same 6.3gig HD or 2 separte drives.

>Could someone please suggest the best order for installation and what
>order to set up the partitions.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks in advance
>Nick

>P.S. Any replies via email must delete the 'REMOVE' section

Installing Linux/Win 95/Win NT

Post by Sean Aker » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I've got a similar setup. W95 and NT 4 on a 6.4G master drive and Redhat 4.1
on a 2Gb slave drive.

The main thing to do is to install W95 first. W95 always thinks it's going
to be the only OS on the system and overwrites the MBR. By the way. make
sure your C: drive is FAT16 as NT will not install if C: is FAT32. I have a
500M FAT16 partition as C:. Windows 95 is installed on its own 2GB FAT32
Logical drive in an extended partition of the master drive. i.e. I boot from
C: (FAT16) and installed Windows 95 on D: (FAT32).

Install Linux next either on your second drive (which I find great as when
I'm using Linux, the W95/NT drive spins down and when I'm in W95/NT the
Linux drive spins down, plus I just don't like the idea of having a proper
OS on the same drive as noddy and not quite so noddy OSes.). and use LILO as
your boot manager to boot between Windows 95 and Linux.

Finally install NT. This doesn't overwrite the MBR and so doesn't*up
LILO. When you boot up, you can select Linux or Windows. Selecting Linux
will boot Linux and selecting Windows will bring up the NT bootloader to
allow you to choose between W95 and NT.

>Hi

>I just recently purchased RH 5.0. Next week, I'm hopefully getting a
>new computer with WIn 95 on it. I wish to put Linux, Win95 and NT on
>either the same 6.3gig HD or 2 separte drives.

>Could someone please suggest the best order for installation and what
>order to set up the partitions.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks in advance
>Nick

>P.S. Any replies via email must delete the 'REMOVE' section

1. Installing Linux+Win 95+Win NT

Please can someone help this newbie linux user:

I've ordered a new computer and I have brought RH 5.0. I wish to
install linux and Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 on the same 4.3 gig
HD.

First, is it possible. If not, would I need a second HD.

A quick run through via email please would be great (please remove
<deleteme> from the reply address :)

For example, What order do I install the OS's and which Boot loader do
I use; LILO or NT Loader.

Any help will be great
Thanks
Nick

2. XF86 and mouse - Can't see

3. Linux, Win 95, and Win NT Modem

4. pthread_cancel (linuxthreads) fails

5. Win 95, Linux and Win NT 4.0 boot

6. Free PP's?

7. Win NT, Win 95, Linux & Samba questions

8. ping a list of computers

9. Win 95+Win NT+Linux???

10. WIN NT; WIN 95; LINUX

11. Win NT with Linux and Win 95

12. SCO OSE 5, WIN 95, WIN NT and FTP Lockup Solved

13. Slackware, Win 95, Win NT