ms_init: /dev/mouse: Device or resource busy

ms_init: /dev/mouse: Device or resource busy

Post by CsO » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

When I 'X' it fails 'cos of the mouse.
When I 'test-mouse' or 'test-mouse -t ps2 -m /dev/psaux' I get
'ms_init: /dev/psaux: Device or resource busy'.
I said 'y' to the 'make config' PS/2 mouse question.
I have a 'Microsoft Mouse Port Compatible Mouse 2.0A'.
I originally built for MS bus mouse support (it didn't work).
I then concluded I had a PS/2 mouse 'cos it plugs into a round
six pin socket next to the keyboard...
I believe the PS/2 mouse can only use IRQ12 & that no other
device I have uses it.
I run LDR April 96 Slackware 3.0 linuxelf-1.2.13.
I have an AST Premmia MX P/75 with 32Mb.
Will anyone help me out ?
Thankyou.

Post by Geoff Sho » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

: 'ms_init: /dev/psaux: Device or resource busy'.

Are you running gpm, to use the mouse in text consoles? It may be started
automatically in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  If so, kill it before you start
X - the two don't get on too well.  You may be able to run it as gpm -R
which allows you to run X, where X looks for the mouse in /dev/gpmdata
instead of /dev/psaux.

        Geoff

can't identify with that kind of work ethic.    http://www.york.ac.uk/~grs100

Post by CsO » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

>: 'ms_init: /dev/psaux: Device or resource busy'.

>Are you running gpm, to use the mouse in text consoles? It may be started
..
>    Geoff

..
I'm not - only really mentioned X 'cos that was how I spotted the problem.
In fact if I try gpm it reports the same message...
BTW - PS/2 AUX detected & driver loaded message does come up on boot.
Well, cheers tho - (anyone have) any other ideas ?

Post by Edward J. Newto » Tue, 28 May 1996 04:00:00

> When I 'X' it fails 'cos of the mouse.
> When I 'test-mouse' or 'test-mouse -t ps2 -m /dev/psaux' I get
> 'ms_init: /dev/psaux: Device or resource busy'.
> I said 'y' to the 'make config' PS/2 mouse question.
> I have a 'Microsoft Mouse Port Compatible Mouse 2.0A'.
> I originally built for MS bus mouse support (it didn't work).
> I then concluded I had a PS/2 mouse 'cos it plugs into a round
> six pin socket next to the keyboard...
> I believe the PS/2 mouse can only use IRQ12 & that no other
> device I have uses it.
> I run LDR April 96 Slackware 3.0 linuxelf-1.2.13.
> I have an AST Premmia MX P/75 with 32Mb.
> Will anyone help me out ?
> Thankyou.

Type 'gpm -k' before runnining X.

ms_init: /dev/mouse: Device or resource busy

Post by Stephen Coff » Wed, 29 May 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>> > When I 'X' it fails 'cos of the mouse.
>> > When I 'test-mouse' or 'test-mouse -t ps2 -m /dev/psaux' I get
>> > 'ms_init: /dev/psaux: Device or resource busy'.
>> > I said 'y' to the 'make config' PS/2 mouse question.
>> > I have a 'Microsoft Mouse Port Compatible Mouse 2.0A'.
>> > I originally built for MS bus mouse support (it didn't work).
>> > I then concluded I had a PS/2 mouse 'cos it plugs into a round
>> > six pin socket next to the keyboard...
>> > I believe the PS/2 mouse can only use IRQ12 & that no other
>> > device I have uses it.
>> > I run LDR April 96 Slackware 3.0 linuxelf-1.2.13.
>> > I have an AST Premmia MX P/75 with 32Mb.
>> > Will anyone help me out ?
>> > Thankyou.
>> Type 'gpm -k' before runnining X.

After a lot of pain and suffering with a ps/2 mouse on /dev/psaux,
I can verify that mouse contention with "gpm" is not the only
problem that may occur.  Actually, the version of the "test-mouse"
program that comes with Slackware 3.0 is broken, and does not
work correctly with PS/2 mouse.  In addition, the PS/2 mouse
driver in the 1.2.13 kernel is also broken, and does not work
correctly with systems that have PS/2 keyboard + PS/2 mouse.

Here is the solution that I came to:  Install a recent 1.3.x kernel
(I have 1.3.99), and configure the PS/2 mouse driver.  Then DO NOT
use "test-mouse".  Instead, just try to load XFree86 with your Pointer
section like this:

Section "Pointer"
        Device  "/dev/psaux"
        Protocol "PS/2"
EndSection

It worked for me, but your mileage may vary!

                                =S.Coffin

ps= one lesson here: take Linux documentation with a large grain of salt :-)

Post by CsO » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

: When I 'X' it fails 'cos of the mouse.
: When I 'test-mouse' or 'test-mouse -t ps2 -m /dev/psaux' I get
: 'ms_init: /dev/psaux: Device or resource busy'.
: I said 'y' to the 'make config' PS/2 mouse question.
: I have a 'Microsoft Mouse Port Compatible Mouse 2.0A'.
: I originally built for MS bus mouse support (it didn't work).
: I then concluded I had a PS/2 mouse 'cos it plugs into a round
: six pin socket next to the keyboard...
: On boot PS/2 mouse is detected & driver installed.
: My DOS mouse.ini 'reckons' I have a PS/2 mouse.
: I am not using 'gpm' (if I do it gives the same message...).
: I *believe* the PS/2 mouse can only use IRQ12 & that no other
: device I have uses it.
: I run LDR April 96 Slackware 3.0 linuxelf-1.2.13.
: I have an AST Premmia MX P/75 with 32Mb.
: Will anyone help me out (please) ?
: Thankyou.

>After a lot of pain and suffering with a ps/2 mouse on /dev/psaux,
>I can verify that mouse contention with "gpm" is not the only
>problem that may occur.  Actually, the version of the "test-mouse"
>program that comes with Slackware 3.0 is broken, and does not
>work correctly with PS/2 mouse.  In addition, the PS/2 mouse
>driver in the 1.2.13 kernel is also broken, and does not work
>correctly with systems that have PS/2 keyboard + PS/2 mouse.

>Here is the solution that I came to:  Install a recent 1.3.x kernel
>(I have 1.3.99), and configure the PS/2 mouse driver.  Then DO NOT
>use "test-mouse".  Instead, just try to load XFree86 with your Pointer
>section like this:

>Section "Pointer"
>    Device  "/dev/psaux"
>    Protocol "PS/2"
>EndSection

>It worked for me, but your mileage may vary!

>                            =S.Coffin

>ps= one lesson here: take Linux documentation with a large grain of salt :-)

Well, I'm still using 1.2.13 & test-mouse & X now work &:o)
My 'Device or resource busy' problem was solved (thankyou Celia)
by removing PCMCIA support. My machine has PCMCIA slots & I use
them under DOS Windows along with the PS/2 mouse with no problems
thus I assumed there would be no problem with Linux...
Most folk who kindly answered my plea pointed out that X / gpm
don't get along by default - true, but this was not the answer.
There is obviously some IRQ12 conflict involved - I hear there is
a patch which will allow me to use both but I haven't tried it.
I reckon my keyboard is PS/2 also (it has the wee 6 pin socket) &
works just fine.
CsO

Post by Stephen Coff » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

>> : When I 'X' it fails 'cos of the mouse.
>> : When I 'test-mouse' or 'test-mouse -t ps2 -m /dev/psaux' I get
>> : 'ms_init: /dev/psaux: Device or resource busy'.
>> : I said 'y' to the 'make config' PS/2 mouse question.
>> : I have a 'Microsoft Mouse Port Compatible Mouse 2.0A'.
>> : I originally built for MS bus mouse support (it didn't work).
>> : I then concluded I had a PS/2 mouse 'cos it plugs into a round
>> : six pin socket next to the keyboard...
>> : On boot PS/2 mouse is detected & driver installed.
>> : My DOS mouse.ini 'reckons' I have a PS/2 mouse.
>> : I am not using 'gpm' (if I do it gives the same message...).
>> : I *believe* the PS/2 mouse can only use IRQ12 & that no other
>> : device I have uses it.
>> : I run LDR April 96 Slackware 3.0 linuxelf-1.2.13.
>> : I have an AST Premmia MX P/75 with 32Mb.
>> : Will anyone help me out (please) ?
>> : Thankyou.

>> >After a lot of pain and suffering with a ps/2 mouse on /dev/psaux,
>> >I can verify that mouse contention with "gpm" is not the only
>> >problem that may occur.  Actually, the version of the "test-mouse"
>> >program that comes with Slackware 3.0 is broken, and does not
>> >work correctly with PS/2 mouse.  In addition, the PS/2 mouse
>> >driver in the 1.2.13 kernel is also broken, and does not work
>> >correctly with systems that have PS/2 keyboard + PS/2 mouse.

>> >Here is the solution that I came to:  Install a recent 1.3.x kernel
>> >(I have 1.3.99), and configure the PS/2 mouse driver.  Then DO NOT
>> >use "test-mouse".  Instead, just try to load XFree86 with your Pointer
>> >section like this:

>> >Section "Pointer"
>> >   Device  "/dev/psaux"
>> >   Protocol "PS/2"
>> >EndSection

>> >It worked for me, but your mileage may vary!

>> >                           =S.Coffin

>> >ps= one lesson here: take Linux documentation with a large grain of salt :-)

>> Well, I'm still using 1.2.13 & test-mouse & X now work &:o)
>> My 'Device or resource busy' problem was solved (thankyou Celia)
>> by removing PCMCIA support. My machine has PCMCIA slots & I use
>> them under DOS Windows along with the PS/2 mouse with no problems
>> thus I assumed there would be no problem with Linux...
>> Most folk who kindly answered my plea pointed out that X / gpm
>> don't get along by default - true, but this was not the answer.
>> There is obviously some IRQ12 conflict involved - I hear there is
>> a patch which will allow me to use both but I haven't tried it.
>> I reckon my keyboard is PS/2 also (it has the wee 6 pin socket) &
>> works just fine.
>> CsO

Hmmm... there are definitely some mysteries here.  Here is some more
detail on my problems:
        1)  When I did "cat </dev/psaux" with the 1/2/13 kernel,
        I definitely would see characters  coming in.  But when I
        killed the "cat", the keyboard would lock up, requiring a reboot.
        The keyboard would also hang with "test-mouse" after the
        "ms_init: device busy" message.  This is why I said "kernel
        1.2.13 is broken".  I did not have PCMCIA configured.
        This problem disappeared when I went to kernel 1.3.99.

        2)  I looked into the source code for "test-mouse" and
        found that the PS/2 section looks for some kind of
        "mouse header packet" before each 3-byte message.
        But my "PS/2" mouse did not send this packet.  I just
        commented out the test for the packet header, and my mouse
        started working with test-mouse.  So this is why I said
        "test-mouse is broken".  In any case, it seems XFree86
        works, and does not require these bogus "header packets" :-)

                                =S.Coffin

1. mouse -> /dev/mouse "device or resource busy"

        When you installed the newer Linux version you probably said yes
to the option which allows cutting and pasting with the mouse in virtual consoles.
The result of this is that the mouse gets assigned to the process running this
feature and ties up the mouse.  Look in your /etc/rc.d/rc.local file for a line
that look something like : 'selection -t ps2 &'
        Comment out this line and reboot your Linux system. That's all folks...

                                        --- Gregory Gauthier

2. Which subnotebook for Linux?

3. /dev/mouse: Device or resource busy ... help!

4. SHELL or HELL???

5. /dev/mouse: Device or resource busy

6. changing to 8bit color on redhat

7. /dev/ttyS2 (/dev/cua2) reports "device or resource busy" on kernel 2.1.95

8. Need info on Uniforum and Usenix

9. /dev/md0: Device or resource busy

10. Floppy: /dev/fd0: Device or resource busy

11. Sblaster Pro /dev/audio Resource or Device Busy?

12. /dev/modem: Device or resource busy

13. /dev/cua0: Device or Resource busy