redhat linux6.0:configuring x-windows

Post by nitim » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

i am using REDHAT LINUX6.0 and it's working fine except X-WINDOWS.
during boot X-WINDOWS fail to initialze and when i type startx at the
command prompt
and press enter i get the following error message-
*************************error message starts**************************
execuve failed for /etc/X11/X (error 2)
X11 TransSocket UNIX Connect : cann't connect ; errno=111
giving up
xinit : connection refused(errno 111):
xinit : no such process (errno 3):server error
**************************error message ends******************************
i am using GRAPHICS BLASTER RIVATNT2 as my display card which has 32MB
video ram and it's an AGP card from CREATIVE LABS (model CT6930).
i don't know why it's giving such error and neither i am able to
understand what this error want's me to do.i think probably this error
could be due to the some wrong configuration which i must have done
during configuring the X-WINDOWS as i didn't understand some questions
and options provided with them.i had chosen SVGA server option during
x-windows configuration.
so please let me know if anyone understands this error and has solutionfor
it.
can it be a driver problem ?? if yes how i can resolve it??i have been to
creative's site and driverzone.com too but ddn't find any driver for
this card for LINUX.although this display card is working fine in windows98.
and if it's not a driver problem but just due to wrong configuration than
please
give me details for configuring it properly .please help ???

redhat linux6.0:configuring x-windows

Post by Lior Lange » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Try this:
run XF86Setup from the console (if it is not installed, install it from the
CD by the command rpm -ivh XF... & xfree86 16 colors).
when running the program will ask if this is a reconfiguration, answer n.
The program will try to load the setup in Xwindows 16 colors, if it
succeeds, then you should choose lower resolution & colors & try to run X.
If it does not, then try www.xfree86.org to see the name of a compatible X
server, if available.

--
with regards

Lior Langer

Quote:> i am using REDHAT LINUX6.0 and it's working fine except X-WINDOWS.

Post by Eric Gillesp » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

::i am using REDHAT LINUX6.0 and it's working fine except X-WINDOWS.
::during boot X-WINDOWS fail to initialze and when i type startx at the
::command prompt
::and press enter i get the following error message-
::*************************error message starts**************************
::execuve failed for /etc/X11/X (error 2)
::X11 TransSocket UNIX Connect : cann't connect ; errno=111
::giving up
::xinit : connection refused(errno 111):
::xinit : no such process (errno 3):server error
::**************************error message ends******************************

I've found that X checks for a link from /etc/X11/X to /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_
(some X server)
Check if this link is there - if it isn't, then
ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA /etc/X11/X
(or whatever your server name IS instead of XF86_SVGA)

===============
Reliability 0.5
===============
--

 /|   _,.:*^*:.,   |\  Cheers from the Viking family, including Marmalade

|    flying-brick    | $FunnyMail  Bilbo   : Now far ahead the Road has gone,
 \_.caverock.net.nz_/     5.39    in LOTR  : Let others follow it who can!

redhat linux6.0:configuring x-windows

Post by Christian Capit » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Since the SVGA server should work on all cards, it's not the server that's
crashed...

Are you using the computer in a network? If so, try disabling the network
connections and see if it works afterwards.