error: "cannot execute binary file"

Post by Robert K » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to install DNEWS news server on a PPC6100, MkLinux for Power
Macintosh, Developer Release 2.1 (Linux 2.0.28-osfmach3 on a ppc)

Being new to Unix administration and the OS, in general...

- why can't I execute the binary file
- what must be done to run "dnews_setup"? (or, what did I do wrong on the
setup?)

error:

sh: ./dnews_setup: cannot execute binary file

TIA,
Robert

Post by J.H.M. Dass » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>sh: ./dnews_setup: cannot execute binary file

Typically this is caused by
- An unsupported binary format (e.g. trying to run an "a.out" format binary
  under a kernel that's compiled for ELF binaries only).
- A binary that's linked against libraries that aren't available.
  Running "ldd" on the binary will probably tell you what libraries are
  missing.

HTH,
Ray
--
Tevens ben ik van mening dat Nederland overdekt dient te worden.

1. "cannot execute binary file" error?

Help! My knowledge of NT is pretty good, however I'm having some
problems now that I'm using a FreeBSD 3.1 system. Specifically, I'm
getting an error I can't seem to figure out, though I've looked it up
(in vain) in the many books I have sitting here.

I try to run an executable file in  /usr/bin/  but I get a "cannot
execute binary file" error. The file is marked as an executable when I
run ls, and I have executable permissions set for all users.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

TJ

    Only $8.95 A Month, - The Worlds Uncensored News Source

2. Y2K problem in (sccs) admin under SCO 5.0.5 (?)

3. Comm: Alpha/x86/Sparc Linux/NT systems in the UK

4. Help! "cannot execute binary file" URGENT

5. Tricky C compiling problem

6. Problem "cannot execute binary file"

7. paths when using xdm

8. "Cannot execute a binary file"

9. BASH - "cannot execute binary file"... xfree86

10. Strange "cannot execute binary file" with cron

11. d2utxt "cannot execute binary file"

12. is there definition of "binary file" or "text file"