what boot image do i use for a atapi TEAC 58e cdrom?

Post by Stefan G. Farnel » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>what boot image do i use for a atapi TEAC 58e?

>do i also have to rawwrite with an image to use my ide controller?  if so,
>which ones?  i'm trying to figure out what files i need to make the root and
>boot disks as my slackware cd is arriving in a few days.

>next is an unrelated linux question.. just in case someone can help me with
>this too.

>--

>i am using win95.  i wish to install linux with the remaining diskspace on my
>1.2 gig drive (about 400 megs).  do i need partition magic?  i dont think so
>right -- since i only have 1 partition and nothing needs to be resized.  i
>hope i can get linux on my hd with lilo (i'm pretty clueless about this.. i've
>read the SLACK-INSTALL HOWTO, and the LDP on installing)  i just hope i can do
>it successfully.  many things i've read makes reference to editing files.
>what text editor comes with linux and what commands are there.

>please reply *email*

>thank you very much for *any* help on anything.  efnet #linux is a mess to get
>help.  many questions unanswered.. many people working on alot more
>complicated problems.

>thank you!!

The only proper way is for linux to be installed on it's own partition.
There is a way to install it onto a dos formatted disk, using a utility
called UMSDOS, but I'm sure there is a disadvantage, but I can't
remember what.

You've no problem with an ATAPI CD-ROM. This is an IDE drive, and thats
all you need to install. Your CD will work just fine. Use bare.i for
bootdisk, and color.gz for rootdisk and away you go.

Have fun!
Bye
Stefan

anti-spam x x

--
Stefan G. Farnell

Post by Root of all Evi » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

: what boot image do i use for a atapi TEAC 58e?

: do i also have to rawwrite with an image to use my ide controller?  if so,
: which ones?  i'm trying to figure out what files i need to make the root and
: boot disks as my slackware cd is arriving in a few days.

: next is an unrelated linux question.. just in case someone can help me with
: this too.

: --

: i am using win95.  i wish to install linux with the remaining diskspace on my
: 1.2 gig drive (about 400 megs).  do i need partition magic?  i dont think so
: right -- since i only have 1 partition and nothing needs to be resized.  i
: hope i can get linux on my hd with lilo (i'm pretty clueless about this.. i've
: read the SLACK-INSTALL HOWTO, and the LDP on installing)  i just hope i can do
: it successfully.  many things i've read makes reference to editing files.
: what text editor comes with linux and what commands are there.

: please reply *email*

: thank you very much for *any* help on anything.  efnet #linux is a mess to get
: help.  many questions unanswered.. many people working on alot more
: complicated problems.

: thank you!!

--

The best advice i can give you is not to use LILO it is safer and easier
to use loadlin it makes upgrading kernels a snap too.

 __ \                                   _ | _|
 |   |  _` | __ `__ \   _` |  _` |  _ \   | | __ \   __|
 |   | (   | |   |   | (   | (   |  __/   | | |   | (
____/ \__,_|_|  _|  _|\__,_|\__, |\___|   | |_|  _|\___|_)
                            |___/       __|__|

1. Problems on ATI Mach 64 & TEAC 6x CDROM(ATAPI) using FreeBSD960501-SNAP

Hello all FreeBSD Users,

I am using ATI Mach 64 and TEAC 6x CDROM(ATAPI) in my Pentium machine,
I have experienced the strange screen at bootup process and not
recognizable CDROM problems.  If you also have encountered such
problems, I advise you please try the new FreeBSD kernel
FreeBSD960501-SNAP.  All problems solved and machine works fine.

Thanks for all FreeBSD developers!

Best regards,
Geoffrey Ng

2. help with env variable please!

3. Teac CD-58E

4. Linux on a Samsung VM8100 Notebook...help!!

5. Teac 55a atapi CDROM

6. WordPerfect & Linux 1.2.13

7. TEAC ATAPI-IDE CDROM (2X) on IBM 755CD...

8. Compaq Array Support

9. Need sbpcd.h & sbpcd.c setup for TEAC CD-55A using TEAC interface card!

10. Help with TEAC Compiled TEAC Quad Speed Kernal using SB16

11. ATAPI-CDROM on soundcard fails, works in DOS

12. writing boot image to boot OS using lilo

13. Installing CDROM using ATAPI BTLD