strange cdrom problem...Any Ideas?

Post by John Ouellett » Sat, 20 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I am running slackware Linux w/kernel 1.2.x on a Pentium/133 and have
tried to mount my 8X-mitsumi (FX800) cd-rom drive.

However, when I try this I get an error message stating this file format
is unsupported, and to consult /proc/filesystems.

I looked in /proc/filesystems and, yes, iso9660 is listed as well as
ext2, etc.

Any Ideas?

FAYI (For all your information)
I am new to Linux but am very well aquainted with how does DOS works

P.S I have been lead to believe the driver mcdx as well as idecd will
work for this drive... Is this true?
I plan on upgrading the kernel to 2.0.x just as soon as I learn how...
=)

ALL information appreciated.

-john

strange cdrom problem...Any Ideas?

Post by Gail C. Barha » Sat, 20 Sep 1997 04:00:00

John,
        I had problems with a 4x Mitsumi ATAPI drive until I put it on the primary
secondary IDE (ie /dev/hdc). I still use kernal 1.2.8. Hope this helps.
Richard

strange cdrom problem...Any Ideas?

Post by Maksim No » Sat, 20 Sep 1997 04:00:00

Have you tryed mounting the drive using:
mount /dev/hdb /cdrom -t iso9660
You may have to specify the type of the file system and/or specify that the
device is read only on the command line.
    Good luck,
        Maksim Noy.

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Sat, 20 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I am running slackware Linux w/kernel 1.2.x on a Pentium/133 and have
> tried to mount my 8X-mitsumi (FX800) cd-rom drive.
> P.S I have been lead to believe the driver mcdx as well as idecd will
> work for this drive... Is this true?

No, only idecd will work as the mcdx is only for older Mitsumi CD-rom
drives which had their own interfaces. Your FX800 is most likely an
ATAPI-CD-rom.

Quote:> I plan on upgrading the kernel to 2.0.x just as soon as I learn how...

The easiest way to do this is to make a backup of all important files
like your home-directory, /etc and any files which you have downloaded
after installing slackware. Then buy a new distribution and wipe out the
old one to re-install from scratch.

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:

Post by russel » Mon, 22 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I am running slackware Linux w/kernel 1.2.x on a Pentium/133 and have
> tried to mount my 8X-mitsumi (FX800) cd-rom drive.

> However, when I try this I get an error message stating this file format
> is unsupported, and to consult /proc/filesystems.

> I looked in /proc/filesystems and, yes, iso9660 is listed as well as
> ext2, etc.

> Any Ideas?

> FAYI (For all your information)
> I am new to Linux but am very well aquainted with how does DOS works

> P.S I have been lead to believe the driver mcdx as well as idecd will
> work for this drive... Is this true?
> I plan on upgrading the kernel to 2.0.x just as soon as I learn how...
> =)

> ALL information appreciated.

> -john

john,
i have the identical cdrom and it worked perfectly with slackware 96 and
redhat4.1 in two different machines. here's what you need to do:
first-if the cdrom is on the first ide cable with your hard drive it
should be /dev/hdb. if it is on the second ide slot by itself and
strapped as a master it will be /dev/hdc. placing it on the second ide
is a good idea as it will allow you to put a second hard drive in
without a lot of reconfiguring.
second-once you have figured out what it is called-try $dmesg | more
to see go to the file /etc/fstab.
there should be a line there for it that looks like this if it's on the
second ide:
/dev/hdc       /mnt/cdrom           iso9660 noauto 0 0

if it isn't in there put it in there and make sure you create a folder
/mnt/cdrom so you have a mount point. to get XPlayCD to work you have to
link /dev/hdc to /dev/cdrom by $ln /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom so the machine
knows that they are one and the same because some programs call them
whatever they like-just like the modem link.
third-to look in the contents of a CD you have to input:
$mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
then you can see what's in there by $cd /mnt/cdrom and  $ls -la | more
and all you have to do then is navigate the file structure of the
disc and you're set. remember, the generic kernel supports the iso9660
file system but you can*up and forget to add support for it if
you reconfigure your kernel so be careful.
as an aside-the proper boot disc for ide/atapi cdroms is bare.i in
slackware.
goodluck
russell

1. Strange boot problem with linux... Any ideas?

Hi, my friends linux machine just gave up on us! He's using lilo to boot
the kernel, and it get's to VFS mounting root (ext2 filesystem)
and stops... nothing else at all! We tried using boot disks to boot
it, and then the linux setup disks and re install lilo, and then
reinstall a new kernel image - nothing!

I booted a linux system off my Zip drive on his machine, and mounted his
linux partition - checked it, nothing wrong.... We could not solve the
problem, and ended up backing up his HDD and reinstalling - not the
best solution, but it worked.

I seem to recall having a similar problem when I moved my linux
system onto another partition of the HDD, but somehow I managed to
get it working again.

Jon had not done anything with the partitions of the HDD's before this
problem occurred.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has suffered from this problem,
and if they have a solution to it (just in case it happens again).

Cheers,

Mark.

2. Teacher needs help

3. Strange Modem/Minicom Problem - Any Ideas!!

4. Problems Configureing X on a thinkpadd 755cx.

5. Strange Problem..Anyone got any ideas what is happenig ?

6. Fedora Core 4 Networking: Ping DNS problem

7. Strange sound problem...any ideas?

8. rc.local for nfsd in Solaris 2.3

9. Strange modem problem (not the usual) : ANY ideas welcome

10. Strange FTP problem reported by Mac user. Ideas?

11. strange but promising cdrom problem

12. Strange CDROM mounting problem

13. strange SCSI CDROM problem