Program slows startup of Linux

Post by Evan Panagiotopoulo » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

During the installation I selected by mistake an program to begin at
startup. How do I tell Linux which programs to start when it boots?

Thanks,

  evanp.vcf
< 1K Download

Program slows startup of Linux

Post by David Kirkpatric » Mon, 01 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Evan,
   FOR RH 5.2 - you did not mention what you installed. ??
   Not quite sure what you mean.  During install you select
packages.  There is a subsection of choices for window managers.
If you selected all 4 window managers then Fvwm95 will be the
default at startup.  RH has setup Fvwm95 to start into init 3
where you come up at
the prompt.  From there if you start X to init 5 it where it
executes scripts in /etc/X11/AnotherLevel.  There in I think init
it starts by default an Xterm window and the Control Pannel - you
can exit this file and put in what you want.
   If you mean you selected certian daemons during the install
and want to modify what daemons are started when you boot you can
edit whats started in the control pannel.  I think its the first
option on the control pannel - in the run-level editor window.
It controls and modifiys what started per run level - see the
rc.d directory.

--

Program slows startup of Linux

Post by Eric Sandee » Tue, 02 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Look in /etc/rc.d/rc.X where X is your runlevel - probably 2, 3, or 5
(assuming that we're talking Red Hat here)

The scripts in there start and stop various services when you enter or
leave that runlevel.  (Actually, the files are just symlinks to the
/etc/rc.d/init.d directory)  Ones starting with "S" start, and ones
starting with "K" stop the service (I think I have this straight...)

Tools like linuxconf or Red Hat's control-panel provide GUI interfaces
to change these.

> During the installation I selected by mistake an program to begin at
> startup. How do I tell Linux which programs to start when it boots?

> Thanks,

1. PROBLEM: super-slow startup of some programs

Howdy,

I've been using Linux for years, but never ran into this
problem until now, never heard of anything like it: some
programs take forever to start (forever =
minutes) while other programs start instantaneously!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my Linux system is
unusable right now or at least extremely painful to use.

The programs/scripts that started slowly are:

1. startx (first few steps are quick, but the window manager takes
   forever to load)
2. emacs / emacs -nw
3. gcc
4. netscape

The programs that started normally (instantaneously): xterm,

What I've done so far to the system is not much:
- installed RedHat 5.2 (used the "everything" option)
- rebuilt the kernel (2.0.36)
- changed some basic things like /etc/hosts,
- set up dhcpcd to pick up an IP# from our server

HERE ARE SOME ATTEMPTS TO FIGURE OUT WHAT'S HAPPENING:

- booted in single-user mode -- this made the problem disappear,
but only in single-user mode
- rebuilt kernel to have no experimental stuff, and be leanest
possible -- the problem didn't disappear
- did a 'ldconfig', thinking the slowness may be due to the
dynamic linker, but of course this didn't help

I would greatly appreciate any pointers on this problem,
-Doron

--
Doron Tal, Ph.D.                           Web: http://www.bway.net/~tal
Research Scientist            Tel: 201-332-9213 x220;  Fax: 201-332-9313

2. routing table problems

3. gconfd slow (gnome2 apps slow startup) solved!!

4. Parallel cdrom support??

5. Slow Network Linux->Win98=Slow Win98->Linux=Fast

6. Hardware question...

7. Raw socket transfer, fixing slow TX rate (C program, linux)

8. Stop Usenet Censorship and Totalitarianism 5476623431

9. client ftp program slow to connect to linux wu_ftp

10. wu-ftpd start-up is very SLOW

11. Newbie Q: Slow connection startup

12. Tin newsreader, slow slow slow

13. LILO problem - slow startup