MS-DOS Kermit/DOS-Emu

Post by dalla.. » Tue, 09 Sep 1997 04:00:00

[I'm cross-posting this to several forums where I think it will be
appropriate for discussion.
I apologize to anyone who finds it inappropriate.]

Question:

1) MS-DOS Kermit requires direct access to COM ports.

2) LINUX DOS-Emu does not allow direct access to PC COM ports.

3) Therefore, MS-DOS Kermit cannot funtion in the LINUX DOS-Emu
   environment?

Is there any disagreement with this conclusion?
I've tried several variations of device file settings for DOS-Emu that
look like they might have anything to do with the COM port in question,
and always MS-DOS Kermit 3.14 locks up, apparently never getting
into running the initialization command files.
(This is with S.u.S.E. distribution, 2.0.28 Kernel as I recall,
16550A UARTs, MS-DOS Kermit running OK under OS/2 WARP DOS emulation,
VDMs, DR DOS 5.0, MS-DOS 5.0, Caldera Open DOS 7.01, anything else anyone
needs to know?)

It's probably best to send a duplicate of any responding post to
me email.

Regards,
Dallas E. Legan II
(562) 862 - 4854 ext. '*'

"But I found that the rulers were ordinary men, too, and frequently
as bewildered as I was."

                from "Solution Unsatisfactory"
                   by Robert A. Heinlein

I speak only for myself, and assume full responsibility for my statements.