Sound config: /dev/audio vs /dev/dsp

Post by Eric Sheppar » Thu, 09 May 1996 04:00:00

I need some help getting sound properly configured for Netscape.

I've moved beyond basic sound configuration, installing current
drivers and checking out their capabilities. Sun AU format files sound
awful when piped through the /dev/dsp device, but sound too low in
volume when piped through /dev/audio.  I've attempted to use numerous
sound players from the archives, but haven't yet found anything that
handles both AU and WAV formats successfully.  What are my options?

Linux 1.2.13, VoxWare 3.00 installed.  The sound card is a PAS16.

Pointers appreciated.
Eric

Post by Hannu Savolain » Sat, 11 May 1996 04:00:00

>I need some help getting sound properly configured for Netscape.
>I've moved beyond basic sound configuration, installing current
>drivers and checking out their capabilities. Sun AU format files sound
>awful when piped through the /dev/dsp device, but sound too low in
>volume when piped through /dev/audio.  I've attempted to use numerous
>sound players from the archives, but haven't yet found anything that
>handles both AU and WAV formats successfully.  What are my options?

You don't need any players when playing .au files. Just cat them to
/dev/audio. For almost any other audio format (.wav, .voc, etc.) a player
is required.

You just need to use a mixer program to increase volume of your card. There
are many mixers in sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/sound/mixers.

Best regards,

Hannu
--
-----------------------------

http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/voxware/hannu.html (my home page)
http://www.4Front-Tech.com/uss.html (UNIX Sound System (USS))

Post by Eric Sheppar » Sun, 12 May 1996 04:00:00

> You don't need any players when playing .au files. Just cat them to
> /dev/audio. For almost any other audio format (.wav, .voc, etc.) a player
> is required.

> You just need to use a mixer program to increase volume of your card. There
> are many mixers in sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/apps/sound/mixers.

Yes, Yes, I understand that, and I've been using xvmixer.  What I want
is a *one-stop* approach that Netscape can use. Five different players
(or none for .au files) is overkill for Netscape, and doesn't work
anyway.  Try to separate sound types in your .mailcap and .mime.types
files, and Netscape will merely download the files without processing.

Who has configured Netscape COMPLETELY to play all these sound types
*properly*?

Thanks for your reply.

Eric

Post by Brandon S. Darb » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

: Yes, Yes, I understand that, and I've been using xvmixer.  What I want
: is a *one-stop* approach that Netscape can use. Five different players
: (or none for .au files) is overkill for Netscape, and doesn't work
: anyway.  Try to separate sound types in your .mailcap and .mime.types
: files, and Netscape will merely download the files without processing.

: Who has configured Netscape COMPLETELY to play all these sound types
: *properly*?

Eric,  RedHat 3.03 comes with a wonderful mailcap and sound setup.  I just
point netscape to redhat's /etc/mailcap and BINGO!  WAV, AU and whatever
else (other than RealAudio of course) play beautifuly.

As for your not wishing to run a mixer, there is a mixer called 'cam' on
sunsite...  It's text based.  You can use it to set and save your
preferences... Then add it to your rc.local with the load option to load
your sound preferences at boot. :)

*Darb

*                           Brandon S. Darbro                  *

*                                                              *
*        In memorial of my loving wife Linda Lu Darbro         *

1. /dev/dsp, /dev/audio, /dev/midi., /dev/sndsta

After I compiled all the necessary components
for sound support for my sound card, I have happy
to say linux detects my sound card...but there is
one problem I am as of yet unable to use the card..
since the necessary devices in /dev were never made...

In newere kernel releases the file
/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/Readme.linux which contained a
script at the end of file which created the dev files
is no longer present.  Could someone tell me where this
file is now located?  Or where I can find a script to
create the dev files?

thanks.

2. SoundBlaster Vibra16X PNP

3. How to get clear sound from /dev/dsp(/dev/audio)

4. DNS not resolving all addresses

5. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio in OSS sound engine

6. IPChains, MASQ and FTP help

7. How to get clear sound from /dev/dsp(/dev/audio)

8. Multidrop Mail Software

9. 2.2.1 and /dev/dsp and /dev/audio

10. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio in kernel 2.2.6?

11. /dev/dsp and /dev/audio

12. problem linking support for /dev/audio and /dev/dsp

13. Using /dev/audio and /dev/dsp