Fat32 Bootdisk Freezes. ("fat32.i" & "fat32.s")

Fat32 Bootdisk Freezes. ("fat32.i" & "fat32.s")

Post by Smo » Wed, 15 Oct 1997 04:00:00

I want to stop using Windows 95 and start using Linux (Slackware 3.3)
but I have a bit of a problem.

When I boot from a "fat32.s" (scsi) or "fat32.i" (ide) bootdisk the
system just freezes on the line that it would normally say "Starting
Windows 95" or "Starting MS-DOS". With the scsi disk (fat32.s) it says
"LIL--" then freezes. But the "bare.i" disk loads fine, but as this is
a Fat32 drive that disk isn't o.k.

I plan on using "umsdos" to install Linux as I can't re-partition the
6 Gb hard drive without software such as Partition Magic (which I dont
have).

The computer is running Win95b (OSR2) with a 6 Gb Hard Drive (FAT32)

If this has been asked before I am sorry but I have searched the Web,
The newsgroups and the HOWTO's but I just can't find an answer.

Thanks alot.

Fat32 Bootdisk Freezes. ("fat32.i" & "fat32.s")

Post by Hugh McCur » Thu, 16 Oct 1997 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I want to stop using Windows 95 and start using Linux (Slackware 3.3)
> but I have a bit of a problem.

> When I boot from a "fat32.s" (scsi) or "fat32.i" (ide) bootdisk the
> system just freezes on the line that it would normally say "Starting
> Windows 95" or "Starting MS-DOS". With the scsi disk (fat32.s) it says
> "LIL--" then freezes. But the "bare.i" disk loads fine, but as this is
> a Fat32 drive that disk isn't o.k.

> I plan on using "umsdos" to install Linux as I can't re-partition the
> 6 Gb hard drive without software such as Partition Magic (which I dont
> have).

> The computer is running Win95b (OSR2) with a 6 Gb Hard Drive (FAT32)

> If this has been asked before I am sorry but I have searched the Web,
> The newsgroups and the HOWTO's but I just can't find an answer.

I investigated the UMSDOS load of Slackware 3.3 for educational purposes
many weeks ago.  I found, that I was unable to install to a 32 bit FAT.
I don't remember exactly where I got stuck (but I think I got farther than
you did).  I did post exactly where I got stuck to the c.o.l.setup (or misc)
group at the time.  If you have access to archives, you could search for
my name.  Anyway, I'll recount what I can remember.

The only way I could get setup UMSDOS on a 32 bit FAT was convoluted.
You would need help from someone with a 16bit FAT.

What I did was load a basic system (just the A disks) to a 16bit FAT drive.
Then use PKZIP (or similar program) to zip it onto floppies.  Then unzip it
to the drive with the 32 bit FAT.  Then run SETUP to load the rest of the
modules.

--
Hugh McCurdy

1. "fat32.i" Bootdisk Freezes. Help!!!

I want to stop using Windows 95 and start using Linux (Slackware 3.3)
but I have a bit of a problem.

When I boot from a "fat32.s" (scsi) or "fat32.i" (ide) bootdisk the
system just freezes on the line that it would normally say "Starting
Windows 95" or "Starting MS-DOS". With the scsi disk (fat32.s) it says
"LIL--" then freezes. But the "bare.i" disk loads fine, but as this is
a Fat32 drive that disk isn't o.k.

I plan on using "umsdos" to install Linux as I can't re-partition the
6 Gb hard drive without software such as Partition Magic (which I dont
have).

The computer is running Win95b (OSR2) with a 6 Gb Hard Drive (FAT32)

If this has been asked before I am sorry but I have searched the Web,
The newsgroups and the HOWTO's but I just can't find an answer.

Thanks alot.

2. 3c509 problems

3. fat32 patch, cd with vfat & fat32

4. mod_rewrite question

5. Diff between "S" & "s" in "ls -l" output?

6. route command exit status

7. linux fdisk hidden fat32 (1b) --> fat32 (0b) = dos fdisk fat16 ???

8. best laptop for SCO UNIX?

9. FAT32 and Linux 2.0.35: mounting the FAT32 partition

10. Accesing Fat32 partion on "extended partition"

11. 7.2 booting gives "warning: fat32 support is ALPHA" ??

12. "find" does not work with FAT32 partitions?

13. FAT32 Support Patch "How too" Help