Basic New Idiot Help please...

Post by Gregory M. Slike » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 11:56:45

Hello All,

I'm happy, just finished installing the mandrake 7.2 copy of Linux and all
appears to have worked.  I now have some basic questions to get me past
having to work logged in as root.  Just so you know who you're dealing with,
I have about a days worth of Unix training from 5 years ago that was never
once put to use, no Linux experience at all, I'm a developer, Java,
database, some C & C++, all in the Windoze world.  The install is on a PII -
300MHz, 128Mb RAM, ZIP drive - internal, LinkSys NIC, using KDE unless
someone tells me otherwise.

On to the questions...

1) The hostname for my machine, what should it look like?  I just used what
I had when it was an NT box, "MYTOY" for example.  This appears to be giving
Linux a little, minor headache on starting.

2) As root I can play all day with the CDROM and ZIP drive but logged in
using the account I created during the install tells me I don't have
permission.  I tried following the examples on chmod in the reference manual
but I received a message saying the mount was busy.  Well excuse me
Mister...  So how do I go about giving users permission to work with the ZIP
drive and CDROM?

3) It appears I have an IRQ conflict between the NIC and the video card,
both trying to use IRQ9.  What utility to I use to change the IRQ in the
NIC?  In HardDrake all I could find was a configuration tool that did not
allow me the chance to make changes?

4) Last and most important to me is how do I set the CLASSPATH environment
variable so that when I try to run a Java program I don't get the class not
found java/lang/object error message?  I have tried looking for .profile and
so far no luck.

Thanks to one and all for any assistance and taking the time to read this
post.  If there is a FAQ out there for newbies like me I would also really
appreciate it if someone could point me to it so I can keep the postings to
the major stuff.

Greg Sliker

Basic New Idiot Help please...

Post by Linux Use » Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:13:57

Hello,

>On to the questions...

I don't use mandrake,  but the hopefully helpful anwsers...

Quote:

> 1) The hostname for my machine, what should it look like?  I just used
> what
> I had when it was an NT box, "MYTOY" for example.  This appears to be
> giving Linux a little, minor headache on starting.

What problem do you think this is causing? The default if you don't change
it when installing (at least on a redhat box) is localhost.localdomain. I
never tried using a single name don't know if this would cause a problem or
not. The machine I'm using now is:

$hostname
garfield.linux.lan

Quote:

> 2) As root I can play all day with the CDROM and ZIP drive but logged in
> using the account I created during the install tells me I don't have
> permission.  I tried following the examples on chmod in the reference
> manual
> but I received a message saying the mount was busy.  Well excuse me
> Mister...  So how do I go about giving users permission to work with the
> ZIP drive and CDROM?

Look in file /etc/fstab to set the mount options. Type 'man mount' in a
console, without the quotes, for what options are available. The options
you are going to look at are 'owner' and 'user'. Example cdrom entry in
/etc/fstab:

/dev/cdrom     /mnt/cdrom     iso9660     noauto,user,ro     0 0

The 'user' here will allow any user to mount the cdrom. 'noauto' means 'not
mounted at boot'. 'ro' means 'read only'. Redhat by default uses 'owner'.
Too use 'owner' the user must also be the owner of the dev, in this case it
would be /dev/cdrom. Redhat makes the logged in user the owner when they
log in. 'owner' is just more secure. The same options apply for your zip
drive.

Quote:

> 3) It appears I have an IRQ conflict between the NIC and the video card,
> both trying to use IRQ9.  What utility to I use to change the IRQ in the
> NIC?  In HardDrake all I could find was a configuration tool that did not
> allow me the chance to make changes?

You might try setting PNP O/S installed to "NO" in the system bios or
rearrange where your cards are installed. Probably the easiest way to fix
this.

Quote:

> 4) Last and most important to me is how do I set the CLASSPATH environment
> variable so that when I try to run a Java program I don't get the class
> not
> found java/lang/object error message?  I have tried looking for .profile
> and so far no luck.

Best place to set it is in /etc/profile, this will make it system wide.
example:

CLASSPATH="directory were you want it pointed"
export CLASSPATH

logout and log back in for the changes to take effect.

Hope these answers help.

Cheers,
        Jim H

$uptime
1:04am up 82 days, 1:45, 2 users, load average: 1.04, 1.09, 1.05

Quote: