help with ifconfig, or module params at boot

help with ifconfig, or module params at boot

Post by mnip » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a single Linksys LNE2000 ISA combo NIC. NE2000 compatible. The eth0
interface is failing on startup, presumably because the kernel isn't getting
the io and irq parameters at boot time. The interface worked fine for an ftp
install across my LAN...

running ifconfig, I just see the lo (loopback) adapter running. I'm trying
to use ifconfig to start the interface, but the darn command scrolls off the
screen before telling me what I'm doing wrong, '| more' or not...

Anyhow, I need to issue the simplest possible ifconfig command to put the
nic on the LAN at 192.168.0.33 , netmask 255.255.255.0, irq 9 io 0x320. Can
anyone quote me the exact sequence or suggest another place the problem
might be?

As far as fixing this problem at boot time, my conf.modules seems to be OK,
though, which is puzzling:
options ne io=0x320 irq=9
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias eth0 ne.o
options ne.o io=0x320 irq=9

help with ifconfig, or module params at boot

Post by Andrew Higg » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

>I have a single Linksys LNE2000 ISA combo NIC. NE2000 compatible. The eth0
>interface is failing on startup, presumably because the kernel isn't
getting
>the io and irq parameters at boot time. The interface worked fine for an
ftp
>install across my LAN...

Good, so it does work....

Quote:>running ifconfig, I just see the lo (loopback) adapter running. I'm trying
>to use ifconfig to start the interface, but the darn command scrolls off
the
>screen before telling me what I'm doing wrong, '| more' or not...

Try "dmesg | less". This should allow up and down arrows.

Quote:>As far as fixing this problem at boot time, my conf.modules seems to be OK,
>though, which is puzzling:
>options ne io=0x320 irq=9

You could probably safely loose this line (above)

Quote:>alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
>alias eth0 ne.o
>options ne.o io=0x320 irq=9

Are you sure that the io and irq are correct? Is the irq not perhaps
conflicting with a pci screen card (automatically asigned by bios)?
Try "modprobe ne io=0x320 irq=9" and see if there are errors. If there are
try "cat /proc/ioports" to see if something is using 320 and "cat
/proc/interrupts" to see if 9 is being used. If now errors occur then
"ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.33 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"
and then "route add net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0".

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Andrew Higgs

Post by alins.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have a single Linksys LNE2000 ISA combo NIC. NE2000 compatible. The

eth0 interface is failing on startup, presumably because the kernel
isn't getting the io and irq parameters at boot time. The interface
worked fine for an ftp install across my LAN...running ifconfig, I just
see the lo (loopback) adapter running. I'm trying to use ifconfig to
start the interface, but the darn command scrolls off the
Quote:> screen before telling me what I'm doing wrong, '| more' or not...

<snip>
Make sure you shut off the Plug & Pray option on the card.  Boot up with
a <gasp> DOS disk, run their setup program and shut the PNP off.  I did
that with my machine and lisa then fixed everything else up for me
through network setup.  When I rebooted, it seemed to work fine!

Good luck,
Aaron
San Diego, CA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/