Intel Express 3d graphics card help and NT bootloader

Intel Express 3d graphics card help and NT bootloader

Post by Edward F. VanderBush II » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I just installed Redhat 5.2, How do I configure X to work with my INtel
Express #D AGP graphics card with 8 megs of RAM?  I have a CTX VL710
17" monitor...

Also how do I set up NT boot loader to load Linux off a second
harddrive... Thanks

Intel Express 3d graphics card help and NT bootloader

Post by Aart Scheeper » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

As far as I know there is no answer for the Intel Express 3d card. (yet)

I am facing the same problem. What's you card bios version ?

Aart Scheepers

ps. If you find out how, please let me know.

Edward F. VanderBush III heeft geschreven in bericht

>I just installed Redhat 5.2, How do I configure X to work with my INtel
>Express #D AGP graphics card with 8 megs of RAM?  I have a CTX VL710
>17" monitor...

>Also how do I set up NT boot loader to load Linux off a second
>harddrive... Thanks

Intel Express 3d graphics card help and NT bootloader

Post by Arnold Cazemi » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Aart Scheepers in comp.os.linux.setup:

Quote:>As far as I know there is no answer for the Intel Express 3d card. (yet)

>I am facing the same problem. What's you card bios version ?

>Aart Scheepers

>ps. If you find out how, please let me know.

There actually is a driver for the i740 chipset. BIOS version 3.30 is not
supported. The following message helped me very much installing it:

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Need Help installing XBM for i740
Date: 17 Nov 1998 09:30:21 GMT

Quote:>I am new to the Linux world.  I am actually installing Linux for the
>first time.  I have a Pentium II 333 with a Diamond Stealth II AGP card
>with an i740 Clockset.  I found the XBM server for the i740 at RedHat's
>FTP site.  I have followed the directions to install it.  Everything
>seemed to go well.  And then the directions said that you had to edit
>XF86Config by hand.

(Which directions tell that??)

Others helped me - and I managed to install the same card on the same
processor. I assume that you have the RedHat distribution 5.x. (If not,
tell
me!)

IF
you have done everything as it is descibed in the installation
instructions (I had "XBF_i740, Version 0.9.10, 10 October 1998"), i.e.

a) installed the driver (from
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/XBF/XBF-i740-glibc-0.9.10-1.i386.rpm)

b) made a soft link to the driver by ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XBF_i740
/etc/X11/X

c) run "xf86config" as root (giving correct answers, of course - and if
you
do not find your card, just pretend to use the SVGA-driver! If you want
use
all the possibilities of your monitor, choose the frequency range by
yourself according to your monitor manual and don't deselect any
resolution.
If you don't have xf86config, then install it [with tar xvzf] from
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/XBF/xf86config-glibc-0.9.10.i386.tgz),

THEN X-Windows should start by "startx" in the 8 bit color mode, and by
"startx -- -bpp 32" (attention on dashes and spaces!) in the 24 bit color
mode. In X-Windows you then can change resolution by pressing Alt-Ctrl-+
(on
num key block), if you haven't limited the resolutions before.

If that's o.k., then you _may_ do some additional manual work in
/etc/X11/XF86Config:

Look for the "Screen section" (at the end of the file). You will find in
one
'Section "Screen" ' the driver you have chosen in xf86config (e.g. "svga",
and there must be a 'Subsection "Display" ' with depth 32).
(_Not_ in the last section with the accelerated servers - these don't
apply
here.)

If you insert before the first 'Subsection "Display" ' a line
"DefaultColorDepth 32" then you don't need "-- -bpp 32" any more (to use
the
24 bit color mode).

And if you replace the line
        Modes       "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"
by
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
then you don't need Alt-Ctrl-+ to arrive at the best resolution your
monitor
can display with your card in the true color mode. (The driver at the
beginning always takes the first resolution available for the actual color
depth and possible according to the given frequencies.)

If you want to have a "1280x1024" resolution you must use the 16 bit color
mode because 1280x1024 pixels don't fit in the 8 MB memory of your card at
32 bit.

Don't use the 24 bit option! It is not supported by your card. In fact the
32 bit mentioned are 24 bit + 8 bits waste. To be save you may cancel the
display subsection with depth 24.

If you have problems, just answer.

Hatto

--

Intel Express 3d graphics card help and NT bootloader

Post by Edward F. VanderBush II » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Take a look at http://members.tripod.com/russmann   I used that server and
am up and running. I still have problems but am getting there... This is the
first major step.

ED

> As far as I know there is no answer for the Intel Express 3d card. (yet)

> I am facing the same problem. What's you card bios version ?

> Aart Scheepers

> ps. If you find out how, please let me know.

> Edward F. VanderBush III heeft geschreven in bericht

> >I just installed Redhat 5.2, How do I configure X to work with my INtel
> >Express #D AGP graphics card with 8 megs of RAM?  I have a CTX VL710
> >17" monitor...

> >Also how do I set up NT boot loader to load Linux off a second
> >harddrive... Thanks

Intel Express 3d graphics card help and NT bootloader

Post by Carl Russman » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> Don't use the 24 bit option! It is not supported by your card. In fact the
> 32 bit mentioned are 24 bit + 8 bits waste. To be save you may cancel the
> display subsection with depth 24.

Huh?  The XBF-i740 X server runs accelerated at 8, 15, 16 and 24 bpp.  32 bpp
is *not* accelerated, but it works also.  The only problem with 24bpp is the
way X and Motif interact; you end up with b/w button bars on Netscape and
other apps.  This problem is not limited to the XBF server, but to all
XFree86 X servers that haven't been patched somehow.

On a related note, it *is* possible to run X with an i740 card with bios
greater than v220.  See my webpage at http://members.tripod.com/russmann for
more info.

--Carl

1. Intel Express 3D Graphics Card - AGP driver's for Linux

Hi Folks,
    I am trying to install a Intel Express 3D Graphics card (using AGP port)
on my Linux System (RedHat 5.1). I want to run some X-aplications and I
looking for a Xserver for this card. Could somebody give me some directions?

Thanks in advance

Pascoal Roberto Peduto

2. No sysconfig after new install!!??

3. Intel Express 3D Graphics Card

4. Telnet

5. config. Intel Express 3D Graphics Card

6. HELP: Known problems with SCO TCP stack

7. Intel Express 3D video card with AGP

8. ddefs definition for the ST4085p Hard Disk

9. Intel Express 3D video card

10. Intel express 3D video card

11. Intel Express 3D video card

12. Intel 3D Express AGP Card

13. Help on Intel Express 3D and Samsung 7e