Help needed mounting Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

Post by Fred S. Scho » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

After much trial and error, I have finally been able to succesfully
configure the installation of Redhat 4.2 by CD-ROM.  My CD is a Sony
CDU33a.

However, I am not able to mount the CD-ROM drive now that the
installation is complete.

The command:

#mount /mnt/cdrom

gives the following response:

mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
(maybe 'insmod driver'?)

The command

#mount /dev/cdrom

gives the following response:

mount: can't find /dev/cdu31a in etc/mtab or etc/fstab

The cdu31a driver appears to be present in the /dev directory, and
/dev/cdrom appears to be a symbolic link to /dev/cdu31a.

I have appended my lilo.conf to include the following:

append="cdu31a_port=0x340, cdu31a_irq=0"

Is there a simple change to my etc/fstab file which will correct this,
or do I need to re-install or recompile the kernel.

TIA

Fred Scholl

Help needed mounting Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

Post by Kevin D Quee » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Adding this to your fstab may help, and I recall using a more complete
mount command (see man mount).  Now I just use the RedHat FIleConfig to
mount and unmount.  GUIs make me dumb and lazy  :-)

Help needed mounting Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

Post by ptull » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

try this:

1. mkdir /cdrom (or whatever U want just make a directory somewhere)
2. mount -t iso9660  /dev/cdrom  /cdrom

that will mount your cdrom to the directory /cdrom also try changing the
/dev/cdrom to its REAL device, and then try to mount again.
ls -l /dev/cdrom

if U can't mount it this way, don't even bother modifing your fstab file.
good luC.

>After much trial and error, I have finally been able to succesfully
>configure the installation of Redhat 4.2 by CD-ROM.  My CD is a Sony
>CDU33a.

>However, I am not able to mount the CD-ROM drive now that the
>installation is complete.

>The command:

>#mount /mnt/cdrom

>gives the following response:

>mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
>(maybe 'insmod driver'?)

>The command

>#mount /dev/cdrom

>gives the following response:

>mount: can't find /dev/cdu31a in etc/mtab or etc/fstab

>The cdu31a driver appears to be present in the /dev directory, and
>/dev/cdrom appears to be a symbolic link to /dev/cdu31a.

>I have appended my lilo.conf to include the following:

>append="cdu31a_port=0x340, cdu31a_irq=0"

>Is there a simple change to my etc/fstab file which will correct this,
>or do I need to re-install or recompile the kernel.

>TIA

>Fred Scholl

Help needed mounting Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

Post by Ricardo Salced » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Fred,

try going into your rc.modules file (it should be at
/etc/rc.d/rc.modules).  There should be some lines like:
/sbin/modprobe <this>
/sbin/modprobe <that>
See if you can find one that mentions your drive (cdu31a).  If so,
change it to your specific address and IRQ (0x340,0).

I have a Misumi drive and I had to add a line like this:
/sbin/modprobe mcdx mcdx=0x340,10
because my drive is at hex 340 and IRQ 10

Then I made the file /etc/rc.d/rc.cdrom executable with chmod.  Now when
I boot up, the drive is found, and if there's a CD in it, the CD is
mounted.

If I want to change CDs then I have to
        umount /cdrom
replace the CD and then
        mount /dev/mcdx0 /cdrom

Of course you could place a line in your fstab taht defines /cdrom, but
I've noticed that at boot time it tries to mount the drive with the hard
coded (incorrect) address first.  It doesn't hurt anything, but it makes
booting that much slower.  I think this will be resolved if I change the
values in my cdrom's header files and recompile the kernel, but one
thing at a time.

Hope this helps,
Ricardo

>After much trial and error, I have finally been able to succesfully
>configure the installation of Redhat 4.2 by CD-ROM.  My CD is a Sony
>CDU33a.

>However, I am not able to mount the CD-ROM drive now that the
>installation is complete.

>The command:

>#mount /mnt/cdrom

>gives the following response:

>mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
>(maybe 'insmod driver'?)

>The command

>#mount /dev/cdrom

>gives the following response:

>mount: can't find /dev/cdu31a in etc/mtab or etc/fstab

>The cdu31a driver appears to be present in the /dev directory, and
>/dev/cdrom appears to be a symbolic link to /dev/cdu31a.

>I have appended my lilo.conf to include the following:

>append="cdu31a_port=0x340, cdu31a_irq=0"

>Is there a simple change to my etc/fstab file which will correct this,
>or do I need to re-install or recompile the kernel.

>TIA

>Fred Scholl

---
Don't worry.                    {~~~~~}
 Relax,                         |~T~T~|=|7
  Have a HomeBrew.              | | | | ||

                                (_\_/_)

Help needed mounting Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

Post by Huiqun Zho » Tue, 28 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

This means, I think, your current kernel does not include the
driver for the CD-ROM. You should re-config (make menuconfig
etc.) and re-compile (make dep; make clean; make) the kernel in
the directory where the source code for it installs, usually it's
under /usr/src.

Huiqun Zhou

>After much trial and error, I have finally been able to succesfully
>configure the installation of Redhat 4.2 by CD-ROM.  My CD is a Sony
>CDU33a.

>However, I am not able to mount the CD-ROM drive now that the
>installation is complete.

>The command:

>#mount /mnt/cdrom

>gives the following response:

>mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
>(maybe 'insmod driver'?)

>The command

>#mount /dev/cdrom

>gives the following response:

>mount: can't find /dev/cdu31a in etc/mtab or etc/fstab

>The cdu31a driver appears to be present in the /dev directory, and
>/dev/cdrom appears to be a symbolic link to /dev/cdu31a.

>I have appended my lilo.conf to include the following:

>append="cdu31a_port=0x340, cdu31a_irq=0"

>Is there a simple change to my etc/fstab file which will correct this,
>or do I need to re-install or recompile the kernel.

>TIA

>Fred Scholl

I've just ploughed through the entirety of misc,hardware and setup, to no
avail;  I installed Linux from the sbpcd boot disk (as I have a Panasonic
CD-ROM drive hanging off a SoundBlaster-compat. card), and the CD-ROM drive
chugged away happily to give me the OS.  However, my concerns about the size of
everything I was prompted to install made me decide NOT to install the linux
source.

Now, when I boot up the CD drive cannot be mounted because of 'wrong fs, blah
blah, or other error'.  I interrogated sbpcd.h (I *did* install the includes)
and the setup was incorrect.  Because I can't mount the CD drive I can't get
the source off the CD - re-booting off the boot disk (sbpcd) and trying a
reinstall  from the CD using setup gives a warning that the CD drive can't be
mounted.

Should I delete the linux partition and start from scratch again?  I do really
need to access the CD drive, and I realise now that it is kind of useful to
have the OS source.

Apart from that, it's great having a proper OS on my PC at last!

John

2. How to bring up file manager in GNOME?

3. HELP! Sony CDU33a CD-ROM

4. Newbie: Forwarding Inward Packets.

5. Help with PAS 16 and Sony CD-ROM CDU33A

6. Basic mmap() block i/o questions

7. Linux still can't detec Sony cdu33a CD-Rom driver

8. How to tune Linux for heavy nfs use?

9. Opti929s sound card & Sony CDU33A Cd-Rom

10. Sony CDU33A CD-ROM install problem

11. WTB: Linux Cd-rom for my Sony CDU33a

12. recognizing the Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive...

13. Problems detecting Sony CDU33A CD-ROM drive