1. No boot with serial port console and console terminal off
I suspect this is the way that things are supposed to be, but I figure
that I'll ask, anyway. Warning-- ramble ahead.
connection. Since I'm short of desk space, I compiled the kernel with
the COMCONSOLE option set, and set tty com0 in /etc/boot.conf. This
way, I can see what's happening on boot (when I need to), and yet don't
need to have an extra monitor and keyboard on my desk.
The power finally went the other day, and of course, the box that I use
for OpenBSD doesn't automatically turn on when the power is restored.
My wife called me at the office, and I had her toggle the power on the
firewall box. Unfortunately, it didn't boot, much to my wife's
When I got home, I turned on the machine that has the other end of the
console serial cable, fired up kermit, opened the com0, and low and
behold, the loader continued to boot the OpenBSD machine. It doesn't
boot unless the console is active, and setting the DTE (DCE?) line on
the serial port. I had never noticed this before, since the only time
I've rebooted the machine was after recompiling the kernel, and (of
course) I had the console terminal up at the time to make sure that the
boot messages actually went where I wanted them to.
I have a sinking feeling that it is supposed to be this way-- no
conaole, no boot. [I have visions in my head of line-printer terminals
logging all the console messages to hardcopy, with paper scrolling onto
the floor...] However, I'm hoping that one of you gurus can tell me
about some obscure option that I can set that will let the machine boot
with COMCONSOLE and the boot tty as com0 _without_ requiring the console
to actually be powered up.
Else, I'm going to have to short some wires on the serial cable when I
jumper the power switch to have the machine power up after a power
2. PPP: 'Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean' - what's it mean?
3. serial console - lilo serial= no serial port input
4. lpq Remote Printer
5. Solaris 8,9,10 serial consoles via serial port how to raise speed?
6. WTB: hds xterminal
7. How to specify serial port i/o and irq as akernel parameter for serial console?
8. ***** HELP: rsh : Permission denied.
9. serial port connection with tip to a console port
10. How do I get my serial port to talk to the console port on a router???
11. no serial port and no parrallel port how do i console to a router
12. serial port connection with tip to a console port
13. serial terminal as console?