Help Lilo -flop

Post by H.Duyvesti » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I use lilo and booting from the hd works fine but i would feel more
comfortable when  i have it on a floppy also. I did this wirh
slackware but now i use redhat and i don't know what to do.
I tried this     dd if=boot/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0    red in a book
but i don.t know what it means, (i'am learning a lot from reading
this newsgroup. When i booted with it i got a kernel panic.
Who can help please.     Helmy Jung

Help Lilo -flop

Post by Neil Ricke » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I use lilo and booting from the hd works fine but i would feel more
>comfortable when  i have it on a floppy also. I did this wirh
>slackware but now i use redhat and i don't know what to do.
>I tried this     dd if=boot/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0    red in a book
>but i don.t know what it means, (i'am learning a lot from reading
>this newsgroup.

The linux kernel contains a small boot header, so that if it is
written to a floppy, the floppy is bootable and loads the kernel
automatically.

Quote:>                When i booted with it i got a kernel panic.

You also have to use the 'rdev' command.  The kernel needs to know
where the root partition is.  When booting from 'lilo', this is
specified by 'lilo.conf'.  When directly booting the kernel, that
source of information is not available.  There is an options section
in the kernel image.  'rdev' can put the root device there.  The man
pages on 'rdev' should tell you how to do this.

1. help! arpwatch flip flop

i'm trying to set up a linux box on a primarily winnt network.
everything was running fine but then i suddenly lost my network
connectivity. i could ping every machine on our internal network except
for our internet gateway (which happens to be running rh-6.0) and,
obviously, any machine on the other side of the gateway.

so i turned on arpwatch on my machine and observed the following
curious spew (let me prefix the spew - the gateway has exactly two 3Com
cards in it - I don't know the details because I don't have access):

Subject: flip flop

            hostname: <unknown>
          ip address: 10.0.0.1
    ethernet address: 0:60:8c:c9:c:73
     ethernet vendor: 3Com (1990 onwards)
old ethernet address: 0:40:c7:29:ee:d2
 old ethernet vendor: Danpex Corporation
               delta: 52 seconds

            hostname: <unknown>
          ip address: 10.0.0.1
    ethernet address: 0:40:c7:29:ee:d2
     ethernet vendor: Danpex Corporation
old ethernet address: 0:60:8c:c9:c:73
 old ethernet vendor: 3Com (1990 onwards)
               delta: 0 seconds

this flip flop has filled my mbox with 100's of messages just like the
above (the only thing that changes is the delta which seems to be
fairly random). the most curious bit about the above messages is that
there is no Danpex Corporation nic card in the box, afaik.

someone please help. thanks in advance.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. kleen install failed

3. sawfish dead but gnome keeps flopping around - need help!

4. Advocacy without basic knowledge is sabotage.

5. please help - lost LILO, LILO lost

6. NFS perf/timeout to SunOS via CSLIP

7. LILO: lilo hangs after LI... Please help!

8. How do I setup up email via UUCP?

9. Lilo Help: How do I default Lilo to Dos Partition?

10. LILO--LILO--LILO

11. LILO, LILO, LILO

12. WINDOWS 95 A FLOP! GET HAMILTON 95!!!

13. help help help sbpcd and lilo