Cant login as non-root user

Post by Treehaw » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Im a linux newbie who just installed RH5.0. I then tried:

adduser -p herman  joe

This seems to create the /etc/passwd OK,  however, should the password
be in plain text?  after I did this, I could not logon to the system
with the new account, "Login incorrect" (root works).  I even tried to
create a user with the X and RH control panel's user dialog to the same
end.  Could this be something to do with "shadow"?  Where can I get info
on shadowing? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Dan Falk

Cant login as non-root user

Post by Robert L. McCormic » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Im a linux newbie who just installed RH5.0. I then tried:

> adduser -p herman  joe

> This seems to create the /etc/passwd OK,  however, should the password
> be in plain text?  after I did this, I could not logon to the system
> with the new account, "Login incorrect" (root works).  I even tried to
> create a user with the X and RH control panel's user dialog to the same
> end.  Could this be something to do with "shadow"?  Where can I get info
> on shadowing? Any ideas?

> Thanks in advance,

> Dan Falk

  If it's just a password problem, while in root:

   su username

That'll get you inro the user's acount without requiring you to know the
password.  Then just do a

passwd

And you can change your new users passwrod.  Then try logging in!

Cant login as non-root user

Post by Mighty Mi » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > Im a linux newbie who just installed RH5.0. I then tried:

> > adduser -p herman  joe

I did something similar...i even went into the control panel in XWindows...and
after several attempts i still can't log in as a user. RH5.1

Quote:>   If it's just a password problem, while in root:

>    su username

> That'll get you inro the user's acount without requiring you to know the
> password.  Then just do a

> passwd

> And you can change your new users passwrod.  Then try logging in!

  I'll try this...but in case it doesn't work...what next?

Cant login as non-root user

Post by Smegg » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I don't have a -p flag on my system.  You may want to try this.

Example

adduser RAM-PIG

passwd RAM-PIG

To learn more about the adduser command, type man adduser.

Gonzo

>> > Im a linux newbie who just installed RH5.0. I then tried:

>> > adduser -p herman  joe

>I did something similar...i even went into the control panel in XWindows...and
>after several attempts i still can't log in as a user. RH5.1

>>   If it's just a password problem, while in root:

>>    su username

>> That'll get you inro the user's acount without requiring you to know the
>> password.  Then just do a

>> passwd

>> And you can change your new users passwrod.  Then try logging in!

>  I'll try this...but in case it doesn't work...what next?

Cant login as non-root user

Post by Seth Rams » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

propounded:

|Im a linux newbie who just installed RH5.0. I then tried:
|
|adduser -p herman  joe
|
|This seems to create the /etc/passwd OK,  however, should the password
|be in plain text?  after I did this, I could not logon to the system
|with the new account, "Login incorrect" (root works).  I even tried to
|create a user with the X and RH control panel's user dialog to the same
|end.  Could this be something to do with "shadow"?  Where can I get
info
|on shadowing? Any ideas?
|
|Thanks in advance,
|
|Dan Falk

Have you visited the errata pages on Red Hat's site?  I know in RH5.1
there is a problem with non-root users being able to log in after the
shutdown -r command has been used.  It may affect RH5.0 as well.  The
problem is with sysVinit, I think.
"What's so unappealing about | Translate the reply-to
 hearing your elderly father      | to reply to me.
 talk about sex? I had sex!"     | Spammers die.
-Abraham 'Grandpa' Simpson- |

Cant login as non-root user

Post by Tom Breto » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Im a linux newbie who just installed RH5.0. I then tried:

> adduser -p herman  joe

> This seems to create the /etc/passwd OK,  however, should the password
> be in plain text?  after I did this, I could not logon to the system
> with the new account, "Login incorrect" (root works).

How did you logout?  Was it with something like "shutdown -r
<number>"?  And is there a message like "System going down in <some
minutes>" when you try to log in?

If so, there's a "feature" that prevents anyone but root from logging
in until a file called /etc/nologin is removed.  Yeah, I know, it's a
PITA but for multi-user systems it makes sense.

--
Tom Breton

Cant login as non-root user

Post by Jules Graybil » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>>after I did this, I could not logon to the system
>> with the new account, "Login incorrect" (root works).  I even tried to
>> create a user with the X and RH control panel's user dialog to the same
>> end.

Using the RH control panel is different than you might expect at first. You
can't just add the password to the space there. Instead, click on the "drop
menu" and choose "Change password". In the little box that pops up, type the
password, hit return, type it again to verify and hit return again. Now you
can close that window and you see the ENCRYPTED password in the user info
space.

Hope this helps.
JCG

Cant login as non-root user

Post by James Mos » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I think that you will find the passwd command will let you have that pasword
but then the kernel parser will complain due to the lack of security ie too
short and based on dictionary word. You won't see these errors though.  Try
using a more secure password in the command.

>Im a linux newbie who just installed RH5.0. I then tried:

>adduser -p herman  joe

>This seems to create the /etc/passwd OK,  however, should the password
>be in plain text?  after I did this, I could not logon to the system
>with the new account, "Login incorrect" (root works).  I even tried to
>create a user with the X and RH control panel's user dialog to the same
>end.  Could this be something to do with "shadow"?  Where can I get info
>on shadowing? Any ideas?

>Thanks in advance,

>Dan Falk

Cant login as non-root user

Post by Gepett » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> Im a linux newbie who just installed RH5.0. I then tried:

> adduser -p herman  joe

> This seems to create the /etc/passwd OK,  however, should the password
> be in plain text?  after I did this, I could not logon to the system
> with the new account, "Login incorrect" (root works).  I even tried to
> create a user with the X and RH control panel's user dialog to the same
> end.  Could this be something to do with "shadow"?  Where can I get info
> on shadowing? Any ideas?

> Thanks in advance,

> Dan Falk

i used "usercfg" ...which is the same thing as what's found in the
control-panel in RH5.
when prompted for passwaord...choose "change password"....type in the
password once...hit return...
type it again to verifty...hit return...select "done"...there ya go.

Cant login as non-root user

Post by Rikki Retar » Fri, 09 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I had the same problem but fixed it when i created a new user with the
snazzie xwindows adduser and created the new user with everything
except a password I then logedout <logout> of root and in as the new
user then I gave the passwd comand and gave it my password I dont know
why all the trouble but it worked.

>Im a linux newbie who just installed RH5.0. I then tried:

>adduser -p herman  joe

>This seems to create the /etc/passwd OK,  however, should the password
>be in plain text?  after I did this, I could not logon to the system
>with the new account, "Login incorrect" (root works).  I even tried to
>create a user with the X and RH control panel's user dialog to the same
>end.  Could this be something to do with "shadow"?  Where can I get info
>on shadowing? Any ideas?

>Thanks in advance,

>Dan Falk

Cant login as non-root user

Post by Piez » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>>>after I did this, I could not logon to the system
>>> with the new account, "Login incorrect" (root works).  I even tried to
>>> create a user with the X and RH control panel's user dialog to the same
>>> end.

>Using the RH control panel is different than you might expect at first. You
>can't just add the password to the space there. Instead, click on the "drop
>menu" and choose "Change password". In the little box that pops up, type
the
>password, hit return, type it again to verify and hit return again. Now you
>can close that window and you see the ENCRYPTED password in the user info
>space.

>Hope this helps.
>JCG

>Oh gee, I hate to burst your bubble, but that doesn't work either. I've

reformatted and reinstalled
(for reasons tied into Ms space not Linux) and each time I have a fresh
install I reboot adduser psswd and all worked fine till shutdown and trying
to alt - f2 and using the new user name. It seems that either we are to
severe of newbies or Redhat has something to look into

Piezo

Cant login as non-root user

Post by Michael Lee Yoh » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>> Im a linux newbie who just installed RH5.0. I then tried:
>> with the new account, "Login incorrect" (root works).  I even tried to
>> create a user with the X and RH control panel's user dialog to the same
>> end.  Could this be something to do with "shadow"?  Where can I get info
>> on shadowing? Any ideas?

Adding a user under Redhat 5.x is an easy process.  If you don't mind the
non-one-fell swoop approach, try this:

1)  adduser <login name>        This adds the user's initial "credentials"
(their passwd entry).
2)  passwd <login name>        This sets their password.
3)  chfn <login name>              This adds their specific user information
(name, etc.)

 * Michael Lee Yohe                                   Office:      TH N318 *
 * UAH ASPIRE System Administrator                    Office: 256-890-6904 *
 * UAH CS Assistant Administrator                       Home: 256-828-2667 *

1. run a non-root user's program from a non-root user

Hi Folks,

Here is the problem.

I have user A and user B (non-root users)

I need for user A to initiate a job as user B. How can this be done?

As you know, I can do this as root. I can start a process from root as
another user in the system (cron jobs come to my mind!) Is there a way
to do this for non-root users? I believe I need to be able to do
something like  as user A
"su - B" without being prompted for password.

Appreciate suggestions in advance.

Pasha

BTW: I am using AIX 4.3.10

2. Getting DAT drive to work...

3. 'failed running login shell' no non-root user login possible

4. confusion about LILO on multiboot system

5. unable to login as non-root user.

6. MultiTech Modem and R5

7. Login problems for first non-root user

8. Linux Threading FAQ Homepage

9. Unable to Login as a Non-Root users when..

10. Non-root users can't login

11. RH8 - Problem w/non-root users starting root programs

12. Granting root access to defined non-root users...

13. Root priviledges for non-root users