kernel build

Post by Jim Kip » Tue, 21 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am sort of new to Linux

Can someone outline the steps to rebuild the Kernel and explain what
rebuilding the kernel means.

I have Slackware 3.4 , Do I have to download a new kernel ( if so , how
do I do that)
?  or can I just rebuild the kernel that I have ( i think it is 2.0.1 or

something)

Please help
Thanks

kernel build

Post by Jon Gunnar R » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>I am sort of new to Linux

>Can someone outline the steps to rebuild the Kernel and explain what
>rebuilding the kernel means.

>I have Slackware 3.4 , Do I have to download a new kernel ( if so , how
>do I do that)
>?  or can I just rebuild the kernel that I have ( i think it is 2.0.1 or

In the Linux world you have a lot of wondeful documentation, usually called
README, Howto and FAQ. For the kernel you will find a document called the
Linux Kernel HOWTO written by Brian Ward. I should not be any problems
finding this document on most sites that carry Linux programs etc..

It will most likely answer you're questions better than any reply given here.

--

Jon Gunnar Rue
Running RedHat Linux

kernel build

Post by Rodney Loise » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> >I am sort of new to Linux

> >Can someone outline the steps to rebuild the Kernel and explain what
> >rebuilding the kernel means.

> >I have Slackware 3.4 , Do I have to download a new kernel ( if so , how
> >do I do that)
> >?  or can I just rebuild the kernel that I have ( i think it is 2.0.1 or

> In the Linux world you have a lot of wondeful documentation, usually called
> README, Howto and FAQ. For the kernel you will find a document called the
> Linux Kernel HOWTO written by Brian Ward. I should not be any problems
> finding this document on most sites that carry Linux programs etc..

I took this advice when it was suggested after I asked the same question. Spent a
few hoursgoing over the how-to and came away without a clue. As they say "When you
know how it's
easy..."

1. Kernel build freeze RH 4.1, kernel 2.0.27, AMD k5100

I have a brand new system with 16M of ram, a partitioned 1.6G drive, and an
AMD processor.  Motherbaord is an Intel VS with an award BIOS specifically
listed as supporting the K5100.  When I build a new kernel with the default
setup as delivered from RedHat, everything works.  This build takes about ten
minutes.

When I boot with the new kernel, things seem fine as well.

If, after booting with the new kernel, I attempt to compile a kernel a second
time, the build goes through the make dep and make clean fine, but on the very
first file of the make zImage, it freezes in cc1.

This seems independent of the options for the kernel build.

I have heard from a few others with similar configurations who have this
problem.

I have tried including java, elf, and a.out binaries in various combinations,
to no avail.  I am also considering doing a binary search, but since I must
build the kernel with the new options, and then boot with the new one and
attempt a build to see if it worked, it si a bit difficult to test them all.

Suggestions as to what might cause a freeze in cc would be handy.  I have
tried swapping RAM and fiddling with BIOS options, and they do not have an
effect.  Further, it seems to not matter what else is going on, so I suspect
it is not hardware.  I am open to debate, of course.

Scott

"When a great many people are unable to find work, unemployment
results" - Calvin Coolidge, (Stanley Walker, City Editor, p. 131 (1934))
"The barbarian is thwarted at the moat." - Scott Adams

2. How to set IPC parameters?

3. HELP: kernel building / modular kernels

4. Hor. & Ver. TTL pos./neg.

5. massive kernel errors during kernel build

6. /etc/lilo/config (was: Re: Booting from HD on a "pure" Linux machine)

7. Announce: Kernel Build for 2.5, Release 1.12 is available

8. Stripped Surplus HP9000's -- can anyone help get NetBSD up?

9. Detailed questions regarding kernel building - PLEASE Help

10. Red Hat 5.0 on Cyrix CPU - kernel build signal 11

11. Kernel build dies in ksysm.o

12. System.map after kernel build

13. Kernel build with 1.3.48 error