Linux can't find the modem

Post by Pinwu X » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Subject: Linux can't find the modem
>Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:37:36 GMT
>Hi there,

>I just installed linx redhat 6.0 on my pentium PC. Everything looks good
>except the modem conection. when I setup my ppp connection, when I click
>"connect", nothing happened, couldn't even heard the clicking of modem.
>The modem works fine in Win95 environment. The modem was installed on
>COM3. There was no requirement for modem driver when I installed linux.
>What is linux doesn't have the driver for a specific modem? anyone has
>experience on this? How to configure my modem on Linux?

I don't use RH myself, but have you taken a look at the
/dev/modem? Since you are using COM3, it should be a symlink
to /dev/ttyS2 or you can create it as
   cd /dev
   ln -sf /dev/ttyS2 /dev/modem

and see if this works.

1. Can't find modem, can dial in but get disconnected, due to no modem found.,

Hi,
I just got Yellow Dog Linux 2.1.  I have an iMac DVSE and I used
Debian and SuSE and they found the modem as /dev/ttyS0 but in yellow
dog, I tried a symbolic link: ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem and no
avail.

I would like to get the modem working, because then I would be
satisfied with Linxu on the Mac.  I tried Debian, SuSE, LinuxPPC and
YDL and and this rascal is the puppy of choice?

"A YDL ANSWER." because I get 500 emails a day from lists.

Anyway.  If someone can help.  I can try this nify bash script my
friend made that enables my webcam.  ;-)

l8r,
Patrick

2. Problem with Sony CDU76S-81 and audio CDs

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. Problem with RedHat 7.2 and KDE

5. This sums up Microsoft

6. 'Find' 'Updatedb' or find database replacement for Solaris 2.X?

7. Secure httpd Server for Ultrix

8. Help!!! Linux can't find Modem.

9. Open linux can't find my modem?

10. linux can't find pcmcia modem ??

11. Linux can't find my modem. Eeek!

12. Linux can't find USR PCI hardware modem