KDE & mount cdrom

Post by Robert Primicia » Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:15:52

Just installed Linux Mandrake 6.5 yesterday as a server.

How do I find out the mount point of the CD rom or even the floppy
disk?  When I do a "df", I don't see anything?

Also, the gui starts up fine (X windows I guess) but I was hoping
to see KDE starting also.  Can anybody tell me how to start KDE or
how to find out if it's installed.

Thanks in Advance.

Totally lost.

KDE & mount cdrom

Post by l.. » Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:30:32

> Just installed Linux Mandrake 6.5 yesterday as a server.

> How do I find out the mount point of the CD rom or even the floppy
> disk?  When I do a "df", I don't see anything?

Try 'mount' and see if it's listed there. If's it not mounted, you'll
need to look in /etc/fstab for the mount point and mount it manually.
KDE by default should automount a CD when inserted. If not, try this in
a terminal window after inserting the CD (do this as root):

# mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom

Your device (/dev/scd1) and mount point may be different - Look in
/etc/fstab to make sure. That's how it works on my RH7 system. Once
mounted, I see this:

[root] / # mount
/dev/hda2 on / type ext2 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hda1 on /win98 type vfat (rw)
/dev/hda7 on /ddrive type vfat (rw)
/dev/scd1 on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro)
[root] / #

Before you remove the CD, be sure to unmount it first:

# umount /mnt/cdrom

or whatever your CDROM mount point is. You can confirm it's unmounted
once again with 'mount'. It shouldn't be listed anymore.

Quote:> Also, the gui starts up fine (X windows I guess) but I was hoping
> to see KDE starting also.  Can anybody tell me how to start KDE or
> how to find out if it's installed.

If a GUI is starting up, maybe it *is* KDE. Or is it just a login screen
and you can't get any further?

Once you login, is there a taskbar along the bottom of the screen? If
so, is there a button at the left end? If so (again), it's maybe one of
three environments running: KDE (the icon will be a "K" and a
gearwheel), gnome (the icon will be a "footprint" G) or FVWM95 (the
button will read "Linux").

If you don't see anything on screen at all, just a graphical background
with an "X" cursor, try clicking the right (secondary) mouse button and
see if a menu appears. You might be running twm or some other old window
manager (horrors :).

You can use 'switchdesk' to change this. Read the man page:

$ man switchdesk

--

 ------ ><> -----> http://philpot.org/      (web) <--

1. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom

"That should do it.  I hope this was not to long an explaination, but
"I want you to have a fell for what you are doing before doing it.

"Now as to why...
"Most multitasking multiuser Operation system do not let users
"access the mount command.  Linux makes it possible for users
"to use the command, but doesn't give the privilage to automatically.
"Root has to set the priv on a per device basis.

   ... oh wow.  that was great.  thanks ...

"it's not what you see ,
 but in stead notice."

http://www.aniota.com/~twhite

2. Samba, HELP!!!!!

3. Solaris

4. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

5. DTMF authentication for ISDN router

6. how to mount SCSI cdrom, SCSI Zip and floppy under kde ?

7. Server Side Includes

8. cdrom mount problems with KDE 1.1.2

9. mounting scsi cdrom in kde

10. Mounting floopy and cdrom as a normal user under KDE and RedHat 5.2

11. chroot && mount -o bind && security

12. cdrom & kde