Shared memory parameters in Linux Kernel

Shared memory parameters in Linux Kernel

Post by Olivier Fourda » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

How can we change the shared memory parameters in Linux Kernel ?

Both Oracle 8 and PostgreSQL require these settings to be modified, but I can't
find how (without recompiling the Kernel).

Example : (taken from Oracle8 documentation)
LINUX Kernel Parameters

SHMMAX 4294967295

SHMMIN 1
SHMMNI 100
SHMSEG 10
SEMMNS 200
SEMMNI 70
SEMMSL Equal to or greater than the value of the PROCESSES initialization
parameter.

On most modern Unices, these parameters can be set without recompiling the
Kernel.
Is that possible with Linux, and if so, how ?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
--

Looking for a different desktop ? Visit now http://www.xfce.org !

1. Kernel parameters - maxusers, shared memory, semaphores

Hello there,

I would like to know where can I set up parameters like maxusers (it
usually affects the size of the system tables), max number of processes
per user, max number of semaphores and shared memory, etc. I couldn't
find anything in the RedHat documentation. Same thing about
kernel_parameter.txt under Documentation.

I have very little experience with Linux, but long experience with other
Unix flavours.

Any help will be greately appriciated,

Lili

2. What's next for Linux?

3. Shared Memory Kernel Configurable Parameters on AIX

4. 1023 cylinder limit on Suse -why? Lilo certainly doesn't care.

5. Tuning Semaphores and Shared Memory parameters in Slackware Linux 2.0.35

6. how to access 2 domain names with 1 ip in Apache?

7. How to get HP-UX10.01 kernel parameter and RedHat Linux6.2 kernel parameter ?

8. 3c905B-TX, detection problem:

9. Device Driver that will allow access to Kernel memory from shared memory?

10. Help: Change shared Memory and Semaphonre parameters

11. setting shared memory parameters

12. Help with shared memory parameters: SHMSEG settings

13. Solaris 10: Increasing the process data space; shared memory segments & intimate shared memory problems