lpd won't work on my slackware 3.2

Post by John J. Westerkam » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

> I am having difficulties to have lpd work for me.  Apparently lpd just don't
> want to run on my mechine.  I couldn't find it by using ps -ax.  Then I
> decided to run it from my console.  But it didn't work either.  Finally I went
> to /usr/adm/syslog and found the error message there:

> "May 28 02:25:59 bizet kernel: lp: Driver configured but no interfaces found."

> I am sure that I have lp1 on my computer 'cause I got the message from dmesg:

> "lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)"

> Also I've customized my kernel to have the lpd in.   Where shall I go?  Any
> hint?  Thanks a lot!

Under 3.2, if you load everything, you get LPRng version of lpd. This is
difficult to configure (I know, I just got it working!!!). Your best
friend
is the command "checkpc" which checks all your /etc/printcap entries.
Run
that and look for errors. If errors are present, run "checkpc -f" which
automagically fixes the errors which are generally ownership and
permissions
on various spool directory files. I found that lpd refuses to run if
there are
errors, but when I fixed things using checkpc, it worked!

Also, if you are running apsfilter (automatically detects file type and
converts
for your printer), you have to add an entry

:direct_read:

to each apsfilter printer entry in your printcap.

Good luck!

John J. Westerkamp, Ph.D.                       Phone: (800) 828-6826
Research and Development Manager                Fax:   (630) 495-2427

1031 Revere Court, Lombard, IL 60148            http://www.cl.ais.net/pninc

lpd won't work on my slackware 3.2

Post by John J. Westerkam » Sat, 31 May 1997 04:00:00

> I am having difficulties to have lpd work for me.  Apparently lpd just don't
> want to run on my mechine.  I couldn't find it by using ps -ax.  Then I
> decided to run it from my console.  But it didn't work either.  Finally I went
> to /usr/adm/syslog and found the error message there:

> "May 28 02:25:59 bizet kernel: lp: Driver configured but no interfaces found."

> I am sure that I have lp1 on my computer 'cause I got the message from dmesg:

> "lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)"

> Also I've customized my kernel to have the lpd in.   Where shall I go?  Any
> hint?  Thanks a lot!

Under 3.2, if you load everything, you get LPRng version of lpd. This is
difficult to configure (I know, I just got it working!!!). Your best
friend
is the command "checkpc" which checks all your /etc/printcap entries.
Run
that and look for errors. If errors are present, run "checkpc -f" which
automagically fixes the errors which are generally ownership and
permissions
on various spool directory files. I found that lpd refuses to run if
there are
errors, but when I fixed things using checkpc, it worked!

Also, if you are running apsfilter (automatically detects file type and
converts
for your printer), you have to add an entry

:direct_read:

to each apsfilter printer entry in your printcap.

Good luck!

John J. Westerkamp, Ph.D.                       Phone: (800) 828-6826
Research and Development Manager                Fax:   (630) 495-2427

1031 Revere Court, Lombard, IL 60148            http://www.cl.ais.net/pninc

1. Slackware 3.2 won't accept telnet

We noticed the telnet with slackware 3.2 was goofed.  It would do what you
are describing with some hosts.  We went back to the telnet that came with
slackware 3.1 and our problems went away.  This is the client program I am
talking about.  Here is a link to the 3.1 telnet program:

        ftp://telsarpc.harmonic.com/pub/linux/net/telnet

Try it and let everyone know if it fixes your problem.

--

Harmonic System Incorporated, 701 Fourth Avenue South, Suite 320,
Minneapolis MN 55415

2. help - memory fault/ core dump

3. Probs with lpd on Slackware 3.2

4. Netscape/Mosaic

5. lpd deamon Slackware 3.2

6. Meaning of sys, admin, sysadmin in /etc/group

7. Won't work: XFree86 3.2 + Diamond Viper VLB + MAG MX-17F

8. setting up htaccess

9. LPRng/slackware 3.3, lpd won't start properly on bootup...

10. hosts.lpd netgroup entries won't work on 4.3.2.0

11. Does anyone know what's in the upcoming Slackware 3.2?

12. Can't install Slackware 3.2

13. Can't log on to Slackware 3.2