cannot mount cdrom: kernel doesn't recognize /dev/cdrom block device

cannot mount cdrom: kernel doesn't recognize /dev/cdrom block device

Post by Victor Cosb » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

i'm having trouble mounting my cdrom under linux. it used to work after
i installed, but since then i might have disconnected and reconnected
the cdrom and scsi host adapter. does this mean i need to recompile the
kernel?

more details:

redhat 5.0.

i type:
mount /mnt/cdrom
i get:
the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device (maybe
'insmod driver')

i type:
insmod -v cdrom
i get:
/lib/modules/2.0.32/cdrom/cdrom.o: a module named cdrom already exists

/var/log/messages says:
modprobe: can't locate module block-major-11

/etc/fstab says:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom    iso9660     noauto,ro    0 0

and /dev/cdrom is linked to --> scd0

i've tried:
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdx /mnt/cdrom
mount /dev/hdx /mnt/cdrom

nada.

any more ideas? i've checked all the faq's i can find, but nothing seems
to cover this.

thanks in advance,
victor

cannot mount cdrom: kernel doesn't recognize /dev/cdrom block device

Post by Tom Hanlon, Lawy » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>and /dev/cdrom is linked to --> scd0

>i've tried:
>mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdx /mnt/cdrom
>mount /dev/hdx /mnt/cdrom

>nada.

>any more ideas? i've checked all the faq's i can find, but nothing seems
>to cover this.

>thanks in advance,
>victor

Not sure but make sure the link is correct. Is it possible after
playing with the scsi that the actual device is now named something
else like scd1? If so your link is not correct. Just a thought.

cannot mount cdrom: kernel doesn't recognize /dev/cdrom block device

Post by John Kenyo » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I had exactly the same problem with my IDE cdrom drive - It is not
firmly mounted in the computer case and the connector fell off the
back - booted the machine and the kernel didn't see the CDROM device.

I see that you are using SCSI. If I remember correctly in /proc
there is a (pseudo) directory or file called scsi which should list
all SCSI devices - is the CDROM listed.

Hope this helps

/john

<Snip>
> the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device (maybe
> 'insmod driver')
<Snip>

Post by Simon Chi » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

 > and /dev/cdrom is linked to --> scd0

 > i've tried: mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdx /mnt/cdrom
 >             mount /dev/hdx /mnt/cdrom

/dev/cdrom is linked to a scsi CD device, but in the above examples
you're trying to mount an IDE device. Which is your CD, scsi or ide?

--
Simon Child

cannot mount cdrom: kernel doesn't recognize /dev/cdrom block device

Post by Joe Wickremasing » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Regarding your 'unmountable' cdrom:

If you normally would mount by using something like:

mount  -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc

try this: when typing 'linux' at the lilo prompt, instead type

linux hdc=cdrom

replacing hdc with whatever is appropriate. If this works you can edit
lilo.conf to contain the line

append="hdc=cdrom" in the appropriate section just after the location
of the image file.

This is how you can use a cdrom that is jumpered as a master on the
secondary ide channel rather than the slave of the primary.

Hope this help.

Joseph Wickremasinghe

:
: If you normally would mount by using something like:
:
: mount  -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/hdc
:
:
: try this: when typing 'linux' at the lilo prompt, instead type
:
: linux hdc=cdrom
:
: replacing hdc with whatever is appropriate. If this works you can edit
: lilo.conf to contain the line
:
: append="hdc=cdrom" in the appropriate section just after the location
: of the image file.
:
: This is how you can use a cdrom that is jumpered as a master on the
: secondary ide channel rather than the slave of the primary.

Wow, there is an answer even before I asked a question. This is exactly my
setup and I've always had the problem mentioned above. I'll try this
solution when I get home tonight.

Thanks very much!

Dan.

1. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

Hello,

I'm in trouble again.   My cdrom on RH6.0 used to mount using command-line
or linuxconf.

Now suddenly its stopped working -   when I try to mount using  "mount
/mnt/cdrom"  I
get rebuffed with :

   #mount  /mnt/cdrom
     mount:  the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
                    (maybe 'insmod driver'? )

# insmod iso9660
    insmod:  iso9660: no module by that name found.

Linuxconf tells me its mounted successfully but obviously is failing in the
background.

It is unfortunate for me that Linux is giving me these problems as I am only
a beginner
really.   sigh!

thanks for expert advice...
noel

2. UMSDOS Read-Only file system???

3. mount /mnt/cdrom ==> the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device

4. Job Leads For Technical Professionals

5. cdrom mount error: kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device?

6. Minimal print server

7. Kernal doesn't /dev/cdrom...block device?

8. buffer cache and sync() Q

9. mount error: mount only root can mount /dev/cdrom on cdrom

10. the kernel does not recognize /dev/fd0 as a block device (maybe 'insmod driver'?)