login problem

Post by Robert Dudle » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have upgraded my linux system (slackware) on an AST P70 Laptop by a
complete reinstallation of slackware 7 (Kernel 2.2.13). All is workin
except login: 50% of the time I cannot login (as root nor as user),
because bad password. If  I restart the machine, it works eventually
after a fwe trials. I have noticed that if it does not work, I get a
login prompt that is preceded by "(none)" instead of the machine name.
If it presents itself with the machine name, I can login. Does anybody
know how to fix this??

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Robert Dudler
Institute of Plant Biology
University of Zurich
Zollikerstrasse 107
CH-8008 Zurich
Switzerland

Tel +41 1 634 82 52
Fax +41 1 634 82 04

1. Login problem with root, but can successfully login with other user to access CDE

I create a new user and later on when I login with root, when I typed
username: root, and password... and got the error message"Unable to
access home directory. Click OK to start a Failsafe session, or Cancel
to restart login."
So I must use Failsafe interface to do anything
related with root.
But I can login with other user to access to CDE.
How to solve that problem?
Thanks!

2. Xsession screen capture help needed

3. Login problem with root, but can login with other user.

4. Q: writing a double density diskette with Sol2.4 ?

5. FTP login problem - real users cannot login

6. HELP! New to UNIX and FreeBSD

7. HELP: New login problem (not /etc/login, SysVinit or priviledges)

8. Weitek P9100 and X, help appreciated!

9. SOLVED: FTP login problem - real users cannot login

10. Update to LOGIN problem... was: Most Bizzare problem I have ever encountered

11. Q : Digital Unix 4.0 login problem : 'No directory!' & 'No shell!'

12. serial port/login problems under 2.6