RedHat 5.2 on Thinkpad 560 - floppy problem

RedHat 5.2 on Thinkpad 560 - floppy problem

Post by Clinton Pope » Sun, 27 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

        I have installed 5.2 on two desktop machines without a problem, but
I've run into a glitch installing it on a Thinkpad 560.  The installer loads
fine, but when trying to load the supplemental floppy (I don't have a cdrom
for the machine, so an NFS install via my PCMCIA ethernet card
is my only install option) the installer dies in the following way:

mounting fd0 on /tmp/image as type ext2
creating directory /tmp/imag rc = 0
calling mount(/tmp/fd0, /tmp/image, ext2, -1058209791,(nil))
removing device f ile /tmp/fd0
copying 1440 blocks from fd0 to ram2
error reading from device: no such file or directory
mounting ram2 on /tmp/image as type ext2
calling mount(/tmp/ram2, /tmp/image, ...
removing device file /tmp/ram2
cpio expansion failed on file (null),error 3

The floppy looks ok; I can read it on my desktop box, and the directory
structure of the cpio looks ok.  The floppy is an external, and I've heard
that there are wierd problems with thinkpad floppy drives.  I tried
passing floppy=thinkpad to the install kernel via 'linux floppy=thinkpad' but
it gave me a warning while booting that it didn't recognize my heplful hint :\

If anyone can offer assistance on this, I'd be very grateful.

                                Thanks,
                                -Clint

1. ThinkPad 560 and Redhat 5.2

Hi!

    I tried to install Redhat 5.2 in my old thinpad 560( P133, 40 Mb
Ram, 2.1GB HD, TFT 12.1). But the problem is it didn't recognize my
PCMCIA CD-ROM.  So, any suggestion how to install ?

--
Gen-Nan Chen
Computer Vision/Computational Neuroscience Lab.

2. rpm file problems

3. Thinkpad 560 suspend/hibernate requires floppy

4. Proxy server on Alpha?

5. RH 5.1 Thinkpad 560 - install floppy fails

6. nedit: unresponsive windows

7. Problem with IBM Thinkpad 560 and Raven PCMCIA CD-ROM

8. LPD and HP JetDirect EX Plus3 External Print Server

9. APM problems with RH6.0 Linux on Thinkpad 560

10. thinkpad 560 - problem with SCSI PCMCIA

11. Weird ThinkPad 560 screen scrolling problem

12. IBM ThinkPad 560 problem with startx

13. Problems w/FreeBSD on Thinkpad 560