LinuxSDoom question

Post by Stephen Wilhe » Mon, 27 Feb 1995 07:50:41

Hey everyone out there.  I run LinuxSDoom and it runs great!  The
problem is, I can only run it as root.  If I run it as anyone else, I
don't have either write or executable access to a few files.  The
error messages don't help much.  Does anyone know what files svgalib
uses that I may have to chmod to get it to work for anyone?
--
=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\=\

Stephen Wilhelm                                         Mississippi College
                Computer Science / Pre-Engineering Major

LinuxSDoom question

Post by Volker Do » Tue, 28 Feb 1995 02:57:24

Hi.

Quote:>Hey everyone out there.  I run LinuxSDoom and it runs great!  The
>problem is, I can only run it as root.  If I run it as anyone else, I
>don't have either write or executable access to a few files.  The
>error messages don't help much.  Does anyone know what files svgalib
>uses that I may have to chmod to get it to work for anyone?

A possiblity is to make your DOOM run as SUID and ! for security, to add
a special group 'svga-users'. chown the DOOM to that group and edit your
passwd-file, that only your account is member of this group (or with
other words, your account is in groups 'users' AND 'svga-users').
That worked fine at my Linux, I wanted to use Ghostscript on the device
'linux', after I did that changes, I can display ps-files as 'vpdose'.

Bye, Volker.
--

LinuxSDoom question

Post by Mark Harris » Wed, 01 Mar 1995 04:59:58

: Hey everyone out there.  I run LinuxSDoom and it runs great!  The
: problem is, I can only run it as root.  If I run it as anyone else, I
: don't have either write or executable access to a few files.  The
: error messages don't help much.  Does anyone know what files svgalib
: uses that I may have to chmod to get it to work for anyone?

Do a SUID on linuxsdoom (chmod +s linuxsdoom).  That worked for me.

Mark Harrison

LinuxSDoom question

Post by Ivan A. Beverid » Wed, 01 Mar 1995 06:12:42

: Hey everyone out there.  I run LinuxSDoom and it runs great!  The
: problem is, I can only run it as root.  If I run it as anyone else, I
: don't have either write or executable access to a few files.  The
: error messages don't help much.  Does anyone know what files svgalib
: uses that I may have to chmod to get it to work for anyone?

Well - this could be a security hole, but it seems the only way to do it.
You must set the "linuxsdoom" and "sndserver" as suid root:
chmod 04711 linuxsdoom          (-rws--x--x)
chmod 04711 sndserver           (-rws--x--x)

If you are worried about this (who isn't!), you can set up a group of
"trusted" people who you will allow to run linuxsdoom, and chgrp the above
executables (and set -rws--x--- for them aswell).

Hope that's what you want. I don't think the wad file needs to be suid (I
think doom picks this up (in suid root mode).

Ivan
--

LinuxSDoom question

Post by H. Peter Anv » Fri, 10 Mar 1995 11:41:48

In newsgroup: comp.os.linux.setup

> : Hey everyone out there.  I run LinuxSDoom and it runs great!  The
> : problem is, I can only run it as root.  If I run it as anyone else, I
> : don't have either write or executable access to a few files.  The
> : error messages don't help much.  Does anyone know what files svgalib
> : uses that I may have to chmod to get it to work for anyone?

> Well - this could be a security hole, but it seems the only way to do it.
> You must set the "linuxsdoom" and "sndserver" as suid root:
> chmod 04711 linuxsdoom             (-rws--x--x)
> chmod 04711 sndserver              (-rws--x--x)

> If you are worried about this (who isn't!), you can set up a group of
> "trusted" people who you will allow to run linuxsdoom, and chgrp the above
> executables (and set -rws--x--- for them aswell).

> Hope that's what you want. I don't think the wad file needs to be suid (I
> think doom picks this up (in suid root mode).

Only linuxsdoom needs to be root.  I use the following script to play
DOOM! in a multi-user setup.  Install it in /usr/games/bin as "doom",
with a symlink to "doom2" in case you have doom2.wad, and install all
the DOOM! files in /usr/games/lib/doom (with linuxsdoom being setuid
root).

#!/bin/bash
#
# This script makes DOOMWADDIR work as advertised, and also implements
# an environment variable DOOMSAVEDIR, where your DOOM! saved games appear.
#
# Symbolic links saves the day...
#
# This version also supports sndcvt for sound on 8-bit sound cards
# and PC speakers (using pcsndrv driver).
#
# Finally, if the DOOMLIBDIR contains a file "system.doomrc" and the
# user does not have a .doomrc file, it is copied to the user's home
# directory, since the defaults have been known to lock up the console
# on some systems.
#

# Last modified: 1995-02-27
#

# Where DOOM lives.
DOOMLIBDIR=/usr/games/lib/doom

# Hostname
HOSTNAME=`/bin/hostname`

allow_null_glob_expansion=Yes

DOOMSAVES="doomsav0.dsg doomsav1.dsg doomsav2.dsg \
doomsav3.dsg doomsav4.dsg doomsav5.dsg"

OLDDIR=`/bin/pwd`

mkdir /tmp/doom.$$
cd /tmp/doom.$$

if [ "$DOOMSAVEDIR" = "" ]; then
  DOOMSAVEDIR="$OLDDIR"
fi

for dsg in $DOOMSAVES; do
  ln -s $DOOMSAVEDIR/$dsg .
done

ln -s $DOOMLIBDIR/*.wad .
rm -f ./doom.wad ./doom2.wad
if [ -r $DOOMLIBDIR/`basename $0`.wad ]; then
  ln -s $DOOMLIBDIR/`basename $0`.wad .
fi

if [ "$DOOMWADDIR" = "" ]; then
  DOOMWADDIR="$OLDDIR"
fi

ln -sf $DOOMWADDIR/*.wad . 2>/dev/null

if [ ! -f $HOME/.doomrc -a -r $DOOMLIBDIR/system.doomrc ]; then
  cp $DOOMLIBDIR/system.doomrc $HOME/.doomrc
fi

if [ -r /etc/sound ]; then
  SOUND=`grep -v '^#' /etc/sound`
elif [ -r $DOOMLIBDIR/sound.$HOSTNAME ]; then
  SOUND=`grep -v '^#' $DOOMLIBDIR/sound.$HOSTNAME`
elif [ -r $DOOMLIBDIR/sound ]; then
  SOUND=`grep -v '^#' $DOOMLIBDIR/sound`
else
  SOUND=none
fi

case $SOUND in
  stereo16)
        ln -s $DOOMLIBDIR/sndserver ./sndserver
        ;;
  stereo8)
        mkfifo /tmp/dsp
        $DOOMLIBDIR/sndcvt -s -P > ./sndcvt.pid &
        ln -s $DOOMLIBDIR/sndserver.8bit ./sndserver
        ;;
  mono8)
        mkfifo /tmp/dsp
        $DOOMLIBDIR/sndcvt -m -P > ./sndcvt.pid &
        ln -s $DOOMLIBDIR/sndserver.8bit ./sndserver
        ;;
  pcspeaker)
        mkfifo /tmp/dsp
        $DOOMLIBDIR/sndcvt -p -P > ./sndcvt.pid &
        ln -s $DOOMLIBDIR/sndserver.8bit ./sndserver
        ;;
  none)
        # Don't do anything!
        ;;
  *)
        echo "$DOOMLIBDIR/sound: Unknown sound type \"$SOUND\""
        ;;
esac

if [ "$DISPLAY" != "" ]; then

else

fi

cd /tmp
rm -rf doom.$$ dsp

1. Linuxsdoom & Aliens-TC

Anybody get Linuxsdoom 1.9 and Ultimate Doom doom.wad to work with the
aliens-tc patch?  It's not working for me, the dehacked patch gets a few
errors and when I play there are no monsters (although there are some
monster sounds in spots where montsters would be activated.)  The demo
works, with monsters, although the monster sounds are the old Doom ones.

The patch fails on text strings where the target is different length
than the source. If someone could give me a clue or a working, patched
linuxsdoom, I'd appreciate it.

Using registered Linux SVGA Doom v1.9.
        Line 924: Unmatchable text string.
Line 933: Unmatchable text string.
Line 939: Unmatchable text string.
Line 1040: Unmatchable text string.
Line 1052: Unmatchable text string.
Line 1055: Unmatchable text string.
Line 1061: Unmatchable text string.
Line 1073: Unmatchable text string.
Line 1076: Unmatchable text string.
Line 1088: Unmatchable text string.
Patch file read, one or more errors detected.

--

"Unix?  What's that?  Is that like Linux?"

2. Opti931 sound card in Kernel 2.2

3. linuxsdoom released (& new linuxxdoom)

4. Which PCMCIA-NIC is supported in RH6.0?

5. registered doom wad with linuxsdoom

6. IPFW Dynamic rule explanation needed

7. Its your own risk to run linuxsdoom

8. Problem compiling kernel under SMP