Iomega Jaz PCMCIA SCSI (Adaptec APA-1460) fails with Linux

Iomega Jaz PCMCIA SCSI (Adaptec APA-1460) fails with Linux

Post by Wm. Randolph U Frankl » Tue, 16 Sep 1997 04:00:00

SUMMARY:

I have a Thinkpad laptop with an Iomega Jaz drive with Iomega's
SCSI adapter.  The Jaz drive works under Windows 95, but is
useless, and dangerous, in Linux.  I'm not trying to boot from it,
but just to use the Jaz as a second disk.

SYSTEM DETAILS:

-   IBM Thinkpad 755CD
-   50/75 MHz Pentium
-   24 MB memory
-   Linux 2.0.30
-   pcmcia-cs-2.9.7
-   Iomega Jaz drive
-   Iomega Jaz pcmcia to fast scsi II adapter card

PROBLEM DETAILS:

- Everything works fine under Win95.

- On booting Linux, the pcmcia package recognizes the drive as an
  Adaptec APA-1460 slimSCSI and loads the aha152x driver.

- Initially, the drive appears to work.  I can mount a disk,
  format it, do 'ls', and copy small files.

- However, I/O-intensive operations will cause the following error
  to be repeated continuously:

        Aiee: scheduling in interrupt 00123d49

  Sometimes the address is different. The crash address is mostly
  in routine __wait_on_super.  mke2fs caused a crash apparently in
  get_request_wait.

- Operations that cause this include:

  - fsck -c.   (Fsck w/o the '-c', it works.)
  - du .   This lists some dirs and then crashes.
  - copying a large file.
  - halting the system.

  The first two of these are completely repeatable.  The machine
  crashes every time that I try them.  Sometimes, a partition on my
  internal drive, which is not even on the SCSI bus, gets damaged.
  One time, over 2000 inodes were trashed.  They were files that
  were not open, in directories that were not open.

- This is such a hard crash that I have to depower the laptop to
  reset it.  C-A-Del and the "on/off" switch are useless.

- Sometimes, altho I could copy a large (24MB) file to the drive
  w/o any error messages, trying to read the file would always cause
  an I/O error at the same place.

- Note that this is not the problem reported by some others of the
  drive not being recognized, perhaps because of a unit number
  problem.  My system recognizes the drive just fine.

STARTUP MESSAGES

Here are the relevant messages from /var/log/messages when I boot
the machine.

   kernel: Linux PCMCIA Card Services 2.9.7
   kernel: Intel PCIC probe:
   kernel:   Intel i82365sl B step at 0x3e0, 2 sockets
   kernel:     host opts: none
   kernel:     irq mask (default) = 0x0eb8, status change on irq 11
   cardmgr[129]: starting, version is 2.9.7
   cardmgr[129]: watching 2 sockets
   kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x03ff: excluding 0x100-0x107 0x200-0x207 0x3b8-0x3e7
   kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0a20-0x0a27: clean.
   kernel: cs: memory probe 0x0d0000-0x0dffff: clean.
   cardmgr[129]: initializing socket 0
   cardmgr[129]: socket 0: Adaptec APA-1460 SlimSCSI
   cardmgr[129]: executing: 'insmod /lib/modules/2.0.30/pcmcia/aha152x_cs.o'
   kernel: aha152x: processing commandline:
   kernel: aha152x: PCMCIA setup
   kernel: aha152x: invalid line (controller=1)
   kernel: ok
   kernel: aha152x: BIOS test: passed, detected 1 controller(s)
   kernel: aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340, IRQ=9, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100, extended translation=disabled
   kernel: aha152x: trying software interrupt, ok.
   kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.18 $
   kernel: scsi : 1 host.
   kernel:   Vendor: iomega    Model: jaz 1GB           Rev: H^72
   kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
   kernel: Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 4, lun 0
   kernel: SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 2091050 [1021 MB] [1.0 GB]
   kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
   kernel:  sda: sda1
   cardmgr[129]: executing: './scsi start sda'
   cardmgr[129]: initializing socket 1

CHANGES TRIED:

None of the following experiments helped:

- Setting the Jaz drive definitely to terminate the SCSI chain,
  rather than leaving it on auto.
- Changing the IRQ from 5 to 9.
- Removing the Ethernet card.
- Recompiling the kernel as a 386 instead of 586.
- Editing aha152x.h to lower the max queue from 7 to 3.
- Upgrading pcmcia-cs from 2.9.6 to 2.9.7.
- Making 256MB partitions instead of one 1GB partition.
- Using 2.0.29 instead of 2.0.30.

I now trying to upgrade to Linux 2.1.51, altho nothing in its
documentation appears relevant to this bug.

SEARCHES DONE:

I've spent more than a fulltime week: asking local people, doing
web searches, reading docs, and posting questions.

All I've learned is the Adaptec doesn't release enough info to
make writing drivers easy.  Nevertheless, the list of supported
Linux HW still lists Adaptec.

POSSIBLE CAUSE:

It seems that Linux might be trying to swap out the driver while
it is waiting on an interrupt.  This may be because the card is
too fast for the system, so that messages are lost when I/O
activity is hi.

HELP?

HELP anyone?  This is starting to make me prefer Win95 to Linux.
Unix is nice; I first used it in the 1970s, and have done serious
Unix system administration since 1985, but this situation is
totally impossible.  I have other work to do.

I would be willing to detune the driver by 50% if that made it
work.  In fact, I've looked at various drivers' code, some of
which do this, but don't see how for this driver.

This card appears to work for some people.  What's different?

I've posted an earlier version of this problem before, but here
are more details.

Thanks.

--- Wm. Randolph U Franklin, WRFUSE at MAB.ECSE.RPI.DELETETHIS.EDU

Iomega Jaz PCMCIA SCSI (Adaptec APA-1460) fails with Linux

Post by David Hin » Fri, 19 Sep 1997 04:00:00

: SYSTEM DETAILS:

: -   IBM Thinkpad 755CD

Make sure you exclude the interrupts used by the CD as well as the
Mwave chip in your /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file.  You could still have
an interrupt conflict.

:    kernel: Intel PCIC probe:
:    kernel:   Intel i82365sl B step at 0x3e0, 2 sockets
:    kernel:     host opts: none

It's possible that the problem could have to do with a compatibility
problem with your controller.  I don't think you actually have an
Intel controller: it is probably an IBM clone chip.  I don't have
specs on these chips and they might not be 100% compatible.

: - Removing the Ethernet card.

I'll assume that, since you don't say otherwise, you've got a PCMCIA
ethernet card, and it works fine?  That rules out a lot of possible
problems.

Another thing to try:

- edit your config.opts so that aha152x_cs loads with "reconnect=0".

-- Dave Hinds

1. Adaptec APA-1460 PCMCIA Card

I'm using a Toshiba Tecra 720CDT laptop.  Windows 95 is installed on the
built-in hard drive.  I have an Adaptec APA-1460 SCSI card inserted into a
PCMCIA slot with an Iomega JAZ drive attached.  This configuration works
fine with Win95.  I want to install Linux Slackware 96 onto the JAZ drive.
I have made the boot and root diskettes, but the system is not detecting
the Adaptec card.  I have looked through the PCMCIA HOWTO information, but
I can't seem to find any information to help me in this situation since
Linux is not yet installed and therefore I cannot compile a new kernel.

Thanks for any help.

--John

2. Virtual Server limit?

3. zgv, svgalib in RH 9.x

4. APA-1460 PCMCIA SCSI support?

5. A Special Offer!

6. Adaptec APA-1460 and Linux

7. Security problem with .shosts?

8. Intsalling linux with Adaptec APA-1460

9. Adaptec APA-1460 under OS5?

10. Problems With Zip Card(Adaptec APA-1460 PC Card)

11. Adaptec APA-1460

12. Adaptec 1460-B Slimline Scsi PCMCIA