HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

Post by Gar » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

Can anyone help.  I've tried installing Red Hat with no sucess.  Here
are the problems:

1) During installation CD-ROM can't be found for Red Hat source.  The
CD-ROM is an early NEC 3x SCSI.  I've tried copying CD-ROM to a hard
drive.

2) My SCSI drives are not recognized by Red Hat.  When I told Red Hat
that the source is on /dev/sdb or /dev/sdb1 and msdos type, it said
/dev/sdb was not a block device.  When I tried to do a Linux fdisk on
/dev/sdb or /dev/sdb1 I got an error message that said "unable to open
device".   I even tried fdisk on a hard drive that had no DOS
partitions - same result.

Installations attempted:
        -1 floppy and CD-ROM
        -3 floppies and hard drive

My MB is a P90 OPTI/AMI-ISA/VLB/PCI using a NCR53c810 PCI SCSI
controller.  I read a FAQ somewhere that said this MB had problems
running Linux, but didn't give any details.  I guess that explains it.
However, has anyone got this type of MB to run Linux?

thanks,
-gary

Post by Joe Smulowi » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

|Hello,

|Can anyone help.  I've tried installing Red Hat with no sucess.  Here
|are the problems:
|1) During installation CD-ROM can't be found for Red Hat source.  The
|CD-ROM is an early NEC 3x SCSI.
|2) My SCSI drives are not recognized by Red Hat.  When I told Red Hat

Did you pick a boot image that supports these devices?

 Joe Smulowicz               Hewlett-Packard                Tel: 508-659-3760

                       Andover, Massachusetts  01810
      PGP fingerprint: 50 EA 8B 22 A0 59 60 D5  DD 4B 04 04 12 26 2E 16

HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

Post by Gar » Sat, 05 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>|Hello,

>|Can anyone help.  I've tried installing Red Hat with no sucess.  Here
>|are the problems:
>|1) During installation CD-ROM can't be found for Red Hat source.  The
>|CD-ROM is an early NEC 3x SCSI.
>|2) My SCSI drives are not recognized by Red Hat.  When I told Red Hat

>Did you pick a boot image that supports these devices?

Yes, I picked a boot image that is suppose to support these devices.
Since I have a NCR53c810 SCSI controller, no ethernet, and a SCSI
CD-ROM, I picked boot0036.img.  This image was the best fit.

-gary

Post by Chad Jos » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:1996 11:51:46 GMT writes:

:>:>My MB is a P90 OPTI/AMI-ISA/VLB/PCI using a NCR53c810 PCI SCSI
:>controller.  I read a FAQ somewhere that said this MB had problems
:>running Linux, but didn't give any details.  I guess that explains it.
:>However, has anyone got this type of MB to run Linux?
:>
:>thanks,
:>-gary

I believe I have the4 same motherboard you have.  I have had Linux installed
on my system a couple times before, but with EIDE HDD.  It runs fine on this
motherboard, I haven't had any problems with it.  Until now I'm having
problems doing a NFS install for RedHat 4.0.   Anyway, hope this helps...
later

        Chad

HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

Post by Gar » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I was finally able to install and run Red Hat 3.0.3 Linux on my
system, including X.  However, I had to replace my old
OPTI/AMI-ISA/VLB/PCI and NCR53c810 PCI SCSI controller with a Tyan
Titan III and Symbios NCR53c815 controller.  CD-ROM is now recognized
at boot-up/SCSI scan.

What someone like to have my old MB and SCSI controller?:-)

-gary

>1996 11:51:46 GMT writes:
>:>:>My MB is a P90 OPTI/AMI-ISA/VLB/PCI using a NCR53c810 PCI SCSI
>:>controller.  I read a FAQ somewhere that said this MB had problems
>:>running Linux, but didn't give any details.  I guess that explains it.
>:>However, has anyone got this type of MB to run Linux?
>:>
>:>thanks,
>:>-gary

>I believe I have the4 same motherboard you have.  I have had Linux installed
>on my system a couple times before, but with EIDE HDD.  It runs fine on this
>motherboard, I haven't had any problems with it.  Until now I'm having
>problems doing a NFS install for RedHat 4.0.   Anyway, hope this helps...
>later

>    Chad

1. Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive during installation

Symptom: Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive during
installation.

Information: I have an early NEC 3x SCSI CD-ROM drive.  In normal DOS
booting, even my NCR53c810 SCSI controller doesn't recognize the
CD-ROM during SCSI BIOS polling.  Only after I run the DOS driver,
MSCDEX.EXE, does the CD-ROM get recognized.

Install Scenario: Single floppy and CD-ROM installation.  As per the
readme file on CD-ROM, I didn't use the three floppy installation.  My
boot image was boot0036.img, SCSI NCR53x810, No ethernet, CD-ROM SCSI.

Problem: When I boot from floppy, hit enter once at the boot: prompt
to initialize hardware, I get prompted to insert the ramdisk1.img and
ramdisk2.img floppies.  So I tried the three floppy install and got
to the partitioning section, neither fdisk or cfdisk found any drives.
When I did a media search, the RedHat CD-ROM could not be found.

Questions:
1) Is there a work-around to get RedHat installed from the CD-ROM?

2) Or do I have to copy the entire CD-ROM(s) to a harddrive?

3) It is not very clear in the install manual how to partition Linux.
Currently, I have 2 harddrives, one 540meg for DOS/Windows which is C:
drive; and one 2.1gig with a 2.1gig physical DOS partition but with a
1gig D: drive logical partition reserved for Linux and a 1gig E: drive
logical partition for DOS.  My question is; will Linux do it's own
partitioning of logical drive D: partition?  In other words, are Linux
partitions built on top of existing DOS partitions?  Or will Linux
destroy the other logical drive partition for DOS (drive E:) as well?

4) I have a OPTI-ISA/VLB/PCI MB with a NCR53c810 PCI SCSI controller.
I read a FAQ that said this MB was nothing but trouble.  Has anyone
got Linux installed on this MB successfully yet?

-gary

2. Parallel Zip/Printer Config in 5.2 -- Sherlock's Solution

3. Procmail & Popclient

4. Installing Red Hat, can't find CD-ROM drive

5. xlogin locks up w/ new X11v6.4

6. Hard Drive thrashing on Red Hat 7.1 with SCSI CD-ROMs

7. New or Revised TAs on websco, 960405

8. Red Hat 4.1 won't recognize my CD-ROM

9. Newbie Can't get Linux installation program (red hat) to recognise my CD-ROM

10. Installing linux using SCSI CD-ROM on PCMCIA card, onto SCSI hard drive

11. CD-ROM not Recognized During Install (Red Hat 6.2)

12. Linux 1.2.8 doesn't recognise Pioneer ATAPI CD-ROM drive