Problem with Large IDE

Post by D. Wa » Fri, 05 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I/m trying to install Slakware 3.0 onto a Quantum IDE with
2484 cylinders, 16 heads, and 16 sectors/track.  I use the
1.2.13 idecd image to move the files to HD, and the floppy
zdisk boots-up 1.2.13 great.

But I'm trying to compile the 1.3.20 source files and boot
also from the floppy [not even attacking the 1024 LILO problem
yet].  After the "starting daemons ... nfsd" ......
I get forever "double lock on device queue" on the screen.
(I have another computer (scsi) which used the same cdrom!)

        o Does the 1024 cylinder boot limit apply to floppy zdisks
          like the LILO problem?
        o Does the IDE root partition need to be 'enabled"?
        o If fdisk says" x cylinders, y heads, and z sectors, is
          this the same information Linux boots with? (i.e., does
          this come from the cmos memory, or from the HD)?

Thanks,
Donovan

1. LILO problem with large IDE disk

I have a dual boot Linux/NT system; so far, it worked with no problem. I
had two IDE disks and one SCSI disk. The latter contains the Linux root
file system (including /boot) and Kernel. I booted from the IDE MBR. NT
is on /dev/hda1.

I now added a large (40 GB) IDE disk. LILO now stops at "LI". If I
disable the hard disk in the BIOS, it works again.

I changed the setup so the system boots from the SCSI disk. This works,
although I cannot boot the NT partition anymore; LILO does not find the
NT boot loader. I had to specify "disk=/dev/sca\nbios=0x80" to make it
work.
LILO prints no warnings, though, when I re-install it on the MBR with
the third HD enabled, and still cannot boot.

It is documented as a "known bug" that LILO can get confused with large
IDE harddisks. I tried "linear" and "lba32" (with the new LILO), to no
avail. Does anybody know how I can make the boot loader work?
--
Regards,
Cyrille Artho - http://artho.com/ - Tel. +41 - [0]1 - 313 08 92

2. HELP: gdbm fatal: malloc error.

3. Problem with large IDE disk on Solaris 7

4. Procmail/Fetchmail/Qmail

5. Problem with large IDE-drive

6. IPC: POSIX signals limited to 32 under Linux?

7. Lilo - problem with large IDE disk

8. Networking question.

9. ** (no) problem with large IDE ?? **

10. Boot problem on Plato with large IDE/small IDE/CD-ROM

11. Large IDE hard drive & "Big IDEs" HOWTO

12. Linux and large IDE drives on a standard ide system

13. problems large IDE RAID?