Red Hat 7.0 on Old K6-200 machine

Post by Bob Lightfoo » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:37:05

    Sorry if this is overly simple, but I've programmed computers for 28+
years, started with Tandy PCs and worked a little with Unix years ago.  Most
of my experience has been in windows.  Linux so far has been a nightmare but
so were CPM and Dos 1 when I first used them.  Am keeping an open mind so
far.

    I am trying to convert an IBM Aptiva E24 which was running Windows 98
just fine to a linux platform.  I tried Turbo Linux but didn't feel its
installer was very friendly and couldn't find a how to or help on
commissioning my 3Com 3c515 ethernet card to get the box to talk to my home
intranet.  Switched to Red Hat 7.0 {recommended by their 800 number as the
best version for my hardware}.  Did a custom Install {workstation, nfs
server, utilities, sql server, kernel, development, others} and selected
graphical login to KDE as default.  Also found a posting about using pnpdump
and isapnp to get the unit going. The post didn't help.

Here's where I am at :
    Booted machine and logged in as root {dangerous I know}.
    Deleted files /etc/isapnp.conf and /etc/modules.conf
    Rebooted the machine
    Used a Dos Boot Disk and Queried the 3C515 to learn. Address = 0x0340 ;
DMA Channel 3 ; IRQ 11
    Rebooted to Linux
    Logged in as root
    Opened Xterm
    note: i am using isapnptools 1.22
    ran command pnpdump > /etc/isapnp.conf
    open /etc/isapnp.conf with text editor and delete card1 {LT Winmodem}
and Card2 {Crystal Sound Card} entries
    open /etc/isapnp.conf with text editor and modify card 3 {3c515} to
match dos queries.
    Logout and reboot to linux
    ran command /sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf and get error
    get an error from line 57 - IO check while device activated
    remove the check option from line 57
    ran command /sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf and received and OK message
    Reboot to linux and get message delaying eth0.

I need a play by play on how to bring up the ethernet card.  I'll be gald to
send sample files and answer questions as I can.

Sincerely,
Bob Lightfoot

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:54:25

>     I am trying to convert an IBM Aptiva E24 which was running Windows 98

What's that? the words mean nothing to me. Sounds like something old
like a 486dx66? 16MB ram? Forget.

Please post hardware details.

Quote:> just fine to a linux platform.  I tried Turbo Linux but didn't feel its
> installer was very friendly and couldn't find a how to or help on

Nobody needs a "friendly" installer. It's not something you need help
with. Just blatt the files to disk and then configure whatever needs
it..

Quote:> commissioning my 3Com 3c515 ethernet card to get the box to talk to my home

You can't. That's an ancient isa card that has never worked right, as
far as I recall. Invest $10 is something that works.

Quote:> Here's where I am at :
>     Booted machine and logged in as root {dangerous I know}.
>     Deleted files /etc/isapnp.conf and /etc/modules.conf
>     Rebooted the machine
>     Used a Dos Boot Disk and Queried the 3C515 to learn. Address = 0x0340 ;

Well, don't. This is silly. Stop it an once. Sure you want turn off pnp
on the card and set it to something constant, but forget it! It's a
duff card. Nobody ever really wrote a good driver for those things.
There wasn't any point. And isa busses don't take to configuring very
well in any case. Forget it.

Quote:> I need a play by play on how to bring up the ethernet card.  I'll be gald to

a) go to store
b) buy a card - if you insist on it being isa, get a 3c509.
c) take it home
d) plug it in
e) load driver for it.

Quote:> send sample files and answer questions as I can.

Peter

Red Hat 7.0 on Old K6-200 machine

Post by Bob Lightfoo » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 00:21:54

Thanks for the swift response Peter:
I was afraid that the answer would be something like that.
To answer the questions you raised.  The Aptiva E24 is an IBM K6-200
processor with MMX.  Red Hat recognizes it as an i586 processor.  The
factory unit came with 24 meg which I have upgraded to 48.  You can find the
full tech specs at
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=psg1JWOE-3M9L7F.  I've also
added a Quantum Bigfoot 8.1Gb primary hard drive and moved the stock 2.1GB
to secondary ide position.  The 3C515 is a salvage card out of a throw away
gateway 486 machine I was given some time ago.  My goal is to set this box
up as file storage space on my intranet and add larger hard drives to it at
some point.  From what I read Linux sounded like a better choice for a
server OS than XP.

If you have the time I have a couple of more questions.
Am I correct to assume that the lucent K56 Flex modem will not work with
Linux?
Can you recommend a $10 card or two for use?

Sincerely,
Bob Lightfoot

Post by Mykroft Holmes I » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 02:41:20

> Thanks for the swift response Peter:
> I was afraid that the answer would be something like that.
> To answer the questions you raised.  The Aptiva E24 is an IBM K6-200
> processor with MMX.  Red Hat recognizes it as an i586 processor.  The
> factory unit came with 24 meg which I have upgraded to 48.  You can find the
> full tech specs at
> http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=psg1JWOE-3M9L7F.  I've also
> added a Quantum Bigfoot 8.1Gb primary hard drive and moved the stock 2.1GB
> to secondary ide position.  The 3C515 is a salvage card out of a throw away
> gateway 486 machine I was given some time ago.  My goal is to set this box
> up as file storage space on my intranet and add larger hard drives to it at
> some point.  From what I read Linux sounded like a better choice for a
> server OS than XP.

> If you have the time I have a couple of more questions.
> Am I correct to assume that the lucent K56 Flex modem will not work with
> Linux?
> Can you recommend a $10 card or two for use?

> Sincerely,
> Bob Lightfoot

Few things,

First, get at least Redhat 7.1, preferably 7.3. Redhat 7.0 is quite broken
and will cause you no end of troubles. As to a new NIC, I'm fond of the
Belkin one, avoid the DLink or Linksys as you can't trust them to be what
they say they are, both manufacturers have a bad habit of changing the NIC
and leaving the part nember the same. Barring that, and Rtl8139 or
MNX5038B based card will work fine.

As to your modem, it may well be supported, check www.linmodems.org for
details on supported winmodems.

Adam

Red Hat 7.0 on Old K6-200 machine

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:51:16

Quote:>     Sorry if this is overly simple, but I've programmed computers for 28+
> years, started with Tandy PCs and worked a little with Unix years ago.
Most
> of my experience has been in windows.  Linux so far has been a nightmare
but
> so were CPM and Dos 1 when I first used them.  Am keeping an open mind so
> far.

>     I am trying to convert an IBM Aptiva E24 which was running Windows 98
> just fine to a linux platform.  I tried Turbo Linux but didn't feel its
> installer was very friendly and couldn't find a how to or help on
> commissioning my 3Com 3c515 ethernet card to get the box to talk to my
home
> intranet.  Switched to Red Hat 7.0 {recommended by their 800 number as the
> best version for my hardware}.  Did a custom Install {workstation, nfs
> server, utilities, sql server, kernel, development, others} and selected
> graphical login to KDE as default.  Also found a posting about using
pnpdump
> and isapnp to get the unit going. The post didn't help.

* 7.0 with the largest IDE cable you can find. IBM is, frankly,
incompetent at the subleties of actually running Linux, including both
laptops and server grade data centers. 7.0 had huge compiler issues, the
X-windows is pathetically out of date (which means trouble for laptop video
chipsets), and needed to be slapped around with a rugby player's old
nappies.

Proceed *directly* to 7.3, and start from there. And if you have the ticket
number from your call, call again when finished and explain exactly where
they can put that bad advice.

Red Hat 7.0 on Old K6-200 machine

Post by Allen Kistle » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:11:32

[snip]

Quote:>>    I am trying to convert an IBM Aptiva E24 which was running Windows 98
>>just fine to a linux platform....

>>....  Switched to Red Hat 7.0 {recommended by their 800 number as the
>>best version for my hardware}....

[snip]

Quote:> Proceed *directly* to 7.3, and start from there. And if you have the ticket
> number from your call, call again when finished and explain exactly where
> they can put that bad advice.

Ditto what he said.  I've got (*gasp*) one machine that's an 83MHz
Pentium upgrade (from a 486) with 32MB that runs RH 7.3 just fine.  Your
200MHz/48MB machine should be quite workable (if you can stand waiting
about a little bit between clicking on the Mozilla icon and getting a
window).

Post by Peter T. Breue » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 21:25:29

> I was afraid that the answer would be something like that.
> To answer the questions you raised.  The Aptiva E24 is an IBM K6-200
> processor with MMX.  Red Hat recognizes it as an i586 processor.  The

OK. But it may be wrong. Or right. Use i386 rpm's if in doubt.

Quote:> factory unit came with 24 meg which I have upgraded to 48.  You can find the

That's too little for a "normal" RH nowadays, but of course you can put
yur own stuff on that any way you like.

Quote:> http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=psg1JWOE-3M9L7F.  I've also
> added a Quantum Bigfoot 8.1Gb primary hard drive and moved the stock 2.1GB

I'd really like to know what busese and bus slots you have.

Quote:> to secondary ide position.  The 3C515 is a salvage card out of a throw away
> gateway 486 machine I was given some time ago.  My goal is to set this box

Well, if you have pci, pick up a $10 rtl8139 card. Otherwise, go with
the 3c509. Turn off pnp on the card, etc. etc.

Quote:> Am I correct to assume that the lucent K56 Flex modem will not work with
> Linux?

Dunno! Sounds like an internal. If so, if it's isa, it's probably a
real modem. If it's a winmodem (not a modem) you need to find out, at
www.linmodems.org.

Quote:> Can you recommend a $10 card or two for use?

Depends on the bus available.

Peter

Red Hat 7.0 on Old K6-200 machine

Post by Bob Lightfoo » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 01:09:38

Thanks to everyone who responded.  I swapped a friend who is a Gates
Disciple my ISA Card for his Kingston PCI 10mb unit.  On reboot RH 7.0
configured it and I'm letting RH Update Agent propose my next step right
now.  My Plan is RH7.3 and go from there.  Thanks again all.  With the right
hardware this was light years easier than XP's install.

Bob Lightfoot