Slirp: Dial with minicom to shell then telnet to other shell to use slirp?

Slirp: Dial with minicom to shell then telnet to other shell to use slirp?

Post by Tony Gonzale » Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I have a shell account which does not allow slirp so I have to telnet
to another shell account which allows it in order to be able to use
slirp.

All the instructions for slirp assume you dial directly to the shell
account which you'll use slirp in so I'm a bit at a loss as to how to
get this to work.

I don't know if this is the way to do it but I use Minicom to dial up
to my regular shell account, then once there I telnet to my other
shell account which is telnet only (no dialup) and I start slirp
from there, but it doesn't seem to be working....is there something
different I've go to do to make this work?

The only thing I'm doing different is I'm not using dip (the dialer).

Thanks

-Tony

Post by Kevin C. Weissm » Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: I don't know if this is the way to do it but I use Minicom to dial up
: to my regular shell account, then once there I telnet to my other
: shell account which is telnet only (no dialup) and I start slirp
: from there, but it doesn't seem to be working....is there something
: different I've go to do to make this work?

I assume you will be attempting PPP with Slirp. You must escape a whole
bunch of characters on your side, and on your shell account with the
.slirprc. As to which characters I don't know, but I remember there was a
program for windows with what test the conditions and report all the
characters that need to be escaped. I don't know what it was called and I
don't know if they made a UNIX version. Oh well, agood luck.
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Kevin C. Weissman (KW)         |ACORN "techie" and proud UNIX advocate.

Post by cdauga.. » Tue, 19 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>I assume you will be attempting PPP with Slirp. You must escape a whole
>bunch of characters on your side, and on your shell account with the
>.slirprc. As to which characters I don't know, but I remember there was a
>program for windows with what test the conditions and report all the
>characters that need to be escaped. I don't know what it was called and I

I've lost track of the originator of this thread, but if he or she
emails me, I will send the "linetest" program that diagnoses which
characters to escape.

--
C.L. Daugaard

Slirp: Dial with minicom to shell then telnet to other shell to use slirp?

Post by Tony Gonzale » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: >
: >I assume you will be attempting PPP with Slirp.

I think I remember reading somewhere that CSLIP would do just as well
and is much easier to set up?  All I want to do is run Netscape via
the shell account I telnet into.

Someone thought all I might need is a modified DIP - one that telnets
to the shell account with slirp instead of dials in directly.

: > You must escape a whole
: >bunch of characters on your side, and on your shell account with the
: >.slirprc. As to which characters I don't know, but I remember there was a
: >program for windows with what test the conditions and report all the
: >characters that need to be escaped. I don't know what it was called and I

: I've lost track of the originator of this thread, but if he or she
: emails me, I will send the "linetest" program that diagnoses which
: characters to escape.

Thanks!

-Tony

: --
: C.L. Daugaard

: ______________________________________________

1. SliRp/Minicom: Starting Slirp through minicom?

Anyone know if slirp can be started by dialing in through minicom, starting
slirp on the remote end, then getting out of minicom if need be?

I can dial in to my shell account with minicom and start slirp
manually, but what do I do once I do that?  I can escape minicom without
resetting the modem, but how do I start CSLIP?

While I'm on the subject of slirp, what's the best way to close the
connection.  I've been doing "dip -kill" but I don't think that's the right
way to do it.

Thanks

2. Is my motherboard defective?

3. PPP+SLiRP OK but CSLIP+SLiRP has display problem

4. PCMCIA cards using same interrupts

5. Slirp Slirp

6. Tripwire with relative paths

7. Mullticast : Dense Mode

8. How to use Slirp with linux for unix shell account users?

9. PPP/Slirp in shell account?

10. Is SLiRP the best way to connect to netcom's shell ?

11. PPP connecting to shell account /w SLiRP?

12. HEELPPP!! Dip+Slirp cant open shell