>1 Gig Scsi drives with linux and adaptec cards

>1 Gig Scsi drives with linux and adaptec cards

Post by Nicholas Lambropoulo » Sun, 11 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi folks,
We have just purchased a 2 Gig Scsi drive for our linux box.  We
currently have 2 x 1 gig drive on adaptec aha-2940 scsi-cards running
1.2.13

The problem is that we have >1 Gig scsi support enabled on the adapter.
The new drive is detected fine on bootup.  I run fdisk /dev/sdc to
create the lunix partition ok.  When I begin to create the filesystem,
It just crashes and the next time I boot up I get a warning come up at
the scsi-bios giving me the following warning:

Warning!!

A drive larger than 1Gb has been detected with 64 head / 32 sector
partitioning.  ... blah blah

I read somewhere I need to disable the >1 Gig options in the bios for
linux on these type of adaptec cards - any advice ??

Thanks in Advance
Nick

1. Adaptec 7850, >2Gig boot disk, 9 Gig drive questions

I have a couple of machines with AIC-7580 SCSI controllers on the motherboard
that will boot from floppies using kernel 1.3.93 or higher.  I can't get
LILO to work on their 2 Gig boot drives even with the controller set to
translation mode.

One of the machines also has a 9 Gig drive.  If I run the controller in
translation mode, won't this be limited to 8 Gig?  Also, the Slackware
fdisk seems to only allow 2 Gigs per partition and is limited to 4 partitions.

Advice? Booting from a floppy is acceptable - in fact I kind of like it, but
is there a FAQ on setting up large drives?

Les Mikesell

2. rh 7.3 kernel source : rpm installed, but no source?

3. >137 Gig Hard drives / 2.4.18 and Maxtor 160 Gig HDD

4. Shared libraries

5. SCSI AHA-1742 and >Gig Drives

6. Upgrade 1.2.x / 2.0.29

7. linux on toshiba 415CS notebook/laptop with adaptec slim-scsi pcmcia card and jaz drive

8. Y2K on Solaris 2.5.1 w/ Y2K patch

9. adaptec 2940 UW + SCSI HD +linux 2.0.18 + ext SCSI ZIP drive ?

10. installing linux with adaptec & scsi cdrom drive & scsi cdr (matshita)

11. >>>SCSI cdrom & Zip drive slow <<<

12. aic7xxx -> Installing RedHat 7.1 with an Adaptec 2940 scsi card

13. FORSALE: Exabyte tape drive and Adaptec 1542 SCSI card