LPRng and netatalk - how?

Post by David Matho » Sun, 13 Oct 2002 01:09:50

Can somebody please share with me a printcap entry that lets
LPRng print _correctly_ over netatalk (through pap) to a postscript
printer?  Failing that, I'll be happy with a recipe for CUPS that does
the same thing.

The suggested method:

     atalk:
       :lp=| -$ /usr/local/atalk/bin/pap -e -p "npbname"
       :sd=/var/spool/lpd/atalk

       :filter=/usr/local/libexec/filters/ifhp

didn't work.  Nothing came out.  After replacing the lp
line with a script I found out it was because an extraneous
%! line was coming before the postscript.  So I put a script
in there to eat the first line and then pass the rest to pap
and go out with exit 0.

That prints.

Unfortunately it leaves ifhp2MCyeA,ifhp2tgaMa,ifhpcDZCDU,etc.
ad nauseum in the spool directory for the printer.  These strings
are not passed to the lp: program, so it cannot remove the file
when it completes.
LPRng isn't doing it either.  These
are the postscript files which are sent into the program
on the :lp line.

Interestingly, the ifhp files don't have the leading
%!, so LPRng itself must be creating those.

Maybe this is an ifhp.conf or lpd.conf problem? I left those
unmodified.

Versions:

LPRng-3.8.15-1
ifhp-3.5.10-1
netatalk-1.5.5
RH 7.3

David Mathog

LPRng and netatalk - how?

Post by David Matho » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 04:27:49

> Can somebody please share with me a printcap entry that lets
> LPRng print _correctly_ over netatalk (through pap) to a postscript
> printer?  Failing that, I'll be happy with a recipe for CUPS that does
> the same thing.

I finally gave up on LPRng.  Here's how to do CUPS:

ftp://saf.bio.caltech.edu/pub/software/linux_or_unix_tools/pap_backen...

--
David Mathog

1. netatalk and lprng - does they work together?

hi there,

currently using stable version of debian and have installed the stable packages of netatalk and lprng - but they don't want to work together.  i've read about conflicts because lprng does things slightly differently from lpd.

has this conflict been fixed - and has anyone had success with getting these packages to wrok together?

BTW - i've tried piping the print job to lpr but the mac still comes back with an (unspecified) postscript error.

TIA

kev bailey

2. libc on bootdisk

3. HPDJ500C/LPRng/ifhp/apsfilter-LPRng

4. Tru64 informational page

5. Matrox Mystique ands X.

6. Help w/ AHA274x problem

7. NetATalk: how to get NetATalk to work with a NIS server

8. NAT perils

9. netatalk-1.2 -> netatalk-1.2.1

10. LPRng-3.7.4 and Mandrake-8.0??

11. duplex printing with LPRng/IFHP over Samba

12. LPRng + OS/2

13. Help: PLP/LPRNG "refused insecure request"