Use 'fdisk /mbr' under NT 3.51 to remove lilo & linux?

Use 'fdisk /mbr' under NT 3.51 to remove lilo & linux?

Post by b.. » Thu, 30 May 1996 04:00:00

Hello:

        I need to remove lilo, and several linux partitions from my
system. I have a dos/win/winNT3.51 (i.e. FAT) partition and three linux
partitions following. I also have lilo which enables me to boot either
linux or dos/win/winNT. Can I use fdisk under NT to remove lilo & linux
without disturbing the dual boot setup which NT created - if so, I would
like to know the steps. Or, do I need to use fdisk under dos or linux
first? Also wondering if I can make the last three (now linux) partitions
into one for the use of NT as an NTFS partition ?  I used FIPS to
resize the primary partition to enable me to create the partitions for
linux in the first place. Any specifics/help much appreciated.

Brett

Use 'fdisk /mbr' under NT 3.51 to remove lilo & linux?

Post by Tom McGly » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

Read lilo(8) and see the -u option.

--
The preceding is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of my
employer.

Post by John Mil » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

>Hello:
>    I need to remove lilo, and several linux partitions from my
>system. I have a dos/win/winNT3.51 (i.e. FAT) partition and three linux
>partitions following. I also have lilo which enables me to boot either
>linux or dos/win/winNT. Can I use fdisk under NT to remove lilo & linux
>without disturbing the dual boot setup which NT created - if so, I would
>like to know the steps. Or, do I need to use fdisk under dos or linux
>first? Also wondering if I can make the last three (now linux) partitions
>into one for the use of NT as an NTFS partition ?  I used FIPS to
>resize the primary partition to enable me to create the partitions for
>linux in the first place. Any specifics/help much appreciated.
>Brett

You should be able to get the master boot record replaced by using the
emergency repair disks that you made during installation of NT...

You can then use disk administrator under NT (to reassign your
partitions)... note you MUST install SP3 (or later) otherwise NT can
damage your partition table....

Again, why remove linux??

Post by Peter Ming Ch » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: You should be able to get the master boot record replaced by using the
: emergency repair disks that you made during installation of NT...

You can't, emergency repair disk is not bootable.

Peter

Use 'fdisk /mbr' under NT 3.51 to remove lilo & linux?

Post by Frederick Pa » Sun, 09 Jun 1996 04:00:00

wrote on: 05.06.96 at 17:53
about   : "Re: Use 'fdisk /mbr' under NT 3.51 to remove lilo & linux?"
in area : /comp/os/ms-windows/nt/setup/hardware

Quote:> : You should be able to get the master boot record replaced by using the
> : emergency repair disks that you made during installation of NT...

> You can't, emergency repair disk is not bootable.

Yep, repair disk is not bootable, but you can always use your 3 boot
floppies for NT or (better) run WINNT /B or WINNT32 /B, during install,
you will be asked, if you wanted to repair ... *then* the emergency disk
comes in handy!

Regards  Frederick

Too much money? Get married!
## CrossPoint v3.11 R ##

Post by Sang K. Ch » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> : You should be able to get the master boot record replaced by using the
> : emergency repair disks that you made during installation of NT...

> You can't, emergency repair disk is not bootable.

True, but it's a moot point.
You can't use the repair disk without the Setup disks anyways.

(But the fastest way to replace the MBR is to use the FDISK... ;-)

-- Sang.

*                http://sangria.inlink.com/index.html  *