Stupid or not so stupid questions

Post by Jon Mitche » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>1) I can't seem to find where the PATH is set at start up.  Since I
>can't find .bashrc anywhere (it's not in the home dir...and I've
>looked everywhere else)

You don't have to have rc files for your shell, those are for adding to
or overriding the system defaults which are set in /etc/profile

Quote:>2) Doom halts after saying it can't find something in /dev/dsp.  I
>assume it's looking for a definition of the monitor?

That's an audio device, you need to recompile your kernel and support
sound, and go for the /dev/dsp and /dev/audio support after configuring
when configuring your sound card.

Hope this helps,

Jon Mitchell

Stupid or not so stupid questions

Post by Stephen Morr » Tue, 23 Jan 1996 04:00:00

I have these three questions (I have looked throught the HOW-TO
somewhat):

I'm running 1.3.18 from Slackware 3.0 using dos compatibility thing.

1) I can't seem to find where the PATH is set at start up.  Since I
can't find .bashrc anywhere (it's not in the home dir...and I've
looked everywhere else)

2) Doom halts after saying it can't find something in /dev/dsp.  I
assume it's looking for a definition of the monitor?

3) XWindows starts fine usually, but when I select something from the
the menu, the disk spins and then no program is loaded on screen.
Most frustrating...

Thanks in advance for newbie help,

Stephen Morris

1. One stupid question and one not so stupid

Hi FreeBSD gurus,

could someone explain what is *right* release of FreeBSD?

Surfing around website I learned that basically there are two branches:
"current" and "stable".
But looking at FTP for download I see "release-2.1.7" and "release 2.2.1",
as well as "FreeBSD-stable" and "FreeBSD-current". For my impression
"FreeBSD-whatever" dirs contain something different from "release xxx"
dirs.

So, my stupid question is what is correlation between "release" numbers and
"branches"? Which release belongs to which branch? What is *last* "stable"
release?

What exactly (please, URL) I should download to install it from DOS hard
disk? I'm intended to do it in *this* way, so please do not suggest me FTP
installation.

And BTW, can someone say is there any serious advantage in *BSD over last
versions of Linux kernel (2.0.x)? I'm not a dumb DOS guy, so feel free to
dig into details :-) I also heard some splatter that Linux is not so stable
as FreeBSD, is it true? To be specific, I'm going to use one of them for
WEB server.

One advantage of Linux I found: it is MUCH easier to understand what is
appropriate distribution, looking at their websites ... :-)

Thanks
--

2. Arp problem

3. REALLY STUPID QUESTIONS (not so stupid)

4. HELP! PPP servermode

5. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

6. Booting problem!

7. Stupid, stupid, stupid! FAT access rights...

8. Slackware Linux and PowerPC

9. stupid stupid stupid

10. --stupid question but then there are no stupid questions--

11. stupid stupid. THANKS Sun-not.

12. pkgmk: stupid stupid. THANKS Sun-not.

13. Stupid, stupid question