Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Post by evil_basta » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 20:31:32



I have been trying to get my Zaurus to connect Ethernet Over USB on my
linux box.  I am currently running Red Hat 7.3 Kernel 2.4.18-3 and
applied a kernel patch to load the usbnet.c driver.  When applying the
patch I got the following error messages.

HUNK Failed at 73 saved rejects to Makefile.rej contents of
Makefil.rej:
**************
*** 73,78 ****
  obj-$(CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI)   += hpusbscsi.o
  obj-$(CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH)   += bluetooth.o
  obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBNET)      += usbnet.o

  # Object files in subdirectories
  mod-subdirs   := serial
--- 73,79 ----
  obj-$(CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI)   += hpusbscsi.o
  obj-$(CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH)   += bluetooth.o
  obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBNET)      **************
*** 73,78 ****
  obj-$(CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI)   += hpusbscsi.o
  obj-$(CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH)   += bluetooth.o
  obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBNET)      += usbnet.o

  # Object files in subdirectories
  mod-subdirs   := serial
--- 73,79 ----
  obj-$(CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI)   += hpusbscsi.o
  obj-$(CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH)   += bluetooth.o
  obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBNET)      += usbnet.o
+ obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBDNET)     += usbdnet.o

  # Object files in subdirectories
  mod-subdirs   := serial
+= usbnet.o
+ obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBDNET)     += usbdnet.o

  # Object files in subdirectories
  mod-subdirs   := serial

and HUNK failes at 90 rejects saved to config.rej
**************
*** 90,95 ****
     dep_tristate '  USB CATC NetMate-based Ethernet device support
(EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_CATC $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
$CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
     dep_tristate '  USB Communication Class Ethernet device support
(EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
$CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
     dep_tristate '  USB-to-USB Networking cable device support
(EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_USBNET $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
$CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
  fi

  comment 'USB port drivers'
--- 90,103 ----
     dep_tristate '  USB CATC NetMate-based Ethernet device support
(EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_CATC $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
$CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
     dep_tristate '  USB Communication Class Ethernet device support
(EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
$CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
     dep_tristate '  USB-to-USB Networking cable device support
(EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_USBNET $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
$CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
+    dep_tristate '  USBD Network (Encapsulated) Host-to-Host Link
(EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_USBDNET $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
$CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
+
+     if [ ! "$CONFIG_USB_USBDNET" = "n" ]; then
+                  hex ' USBD Network idVendor'
CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_VENDOR "0000"
+                  hex ' USBD Network idProduct'
CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_PRODUCT "0000"
+                  hex ' USBD Network Class' CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_CLASS
"0000"
+                  hex ' USBD Network SubClass'
CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_SUBCLASS "0000"
+     fi
  fi

  comment 'USB port drivers'

I then tried a make menu config, but the option for Network USBD
(Encapsulated) was not there.

I have tried placing the unit in the cradle and pressed the synch
button.  The following is the result in my /var/log/messages file:

kernel: hub.c usb new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number
4.
Kernel: hub.c: usb device 4 (vend/prod 0x4dd/0x8004) is not claimed by
any active driver.
/etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup acm CDCEther for USB product 4dd/8004/0

ifconfig -a only lists lo and eth0 as available.  If anyone has any
suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Les

 
 
 

Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Post by Bill Michaelso » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 23:02:57


I don't have 7.3 (yet) - so I got the 2.4.18 kernel package and tried to
build it on RH 7.1 boxes.  The patch applied cleanly.  But the kernels I
generate are riddled with mysterious problems, and the USB support
doesn't even work as well as it did in 2.4.2 (usbview fails, for
example).  I also suspect a problem with compatibility with the earlier
modutils.  So I shelved it, figuring I would get 7.3 and start with
that.  Your patch report is not encouraging.

I was presented with an opportunity to enter the USB mfr/prod ID
somewhere in the config procedure, and I'm guessing your weren't - which
I suppose is related to the patch failure.

I am also guessing that you used kernel source from the Red Hat distro.
  If so, perhaps if you get a 2.4.18 from the net and worked with that,
you will have better luck.

Meanwhile, I am trying to establish PPP vi the RS232 port instead, also
without success.  Please keep me informed, especially if you succeed.
We are on the same page.

Bill


> I have been trying to get my Zaurus to connect Ethernet Over USB on my
> linux box.  I am currently running Red Hat 7.3 Kernel 2.4.18-3 and
> applied a kernel patch to load the usbnet.c driver.  When applying the
> patch I got the following error messages.

> HUNK Failed at 73 saved rejects to Makefile.rej contents of
> Makefil.rej:
> **************
> *** 73,78 ****
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI)      += hpusbscsi.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH)      += bluetooth.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBNET) += usbnet.o

>   # Object files in subdirectories
>   mod-subdirs      := serial
> --- 73,79 ----
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI)      += hpusbscsi.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH)      += bluetooth.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBNET) **************
> *** 73,78 ****
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI)      += hpusbscsi.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH)      += bluetooth.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBNET) += usbnet.o

>   # Object files in subdirectories
>   mod-subdirs      := serial
> --- 73,79 ----
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI)      += hpusbscsi.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH)      += bluetooth.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBNET) += usbnet.o
> + obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBDNET)        += usbdnet.o

>   # Object files in subdirectories
>   mod-subdirs      := serial
> += usbnet.o
> + obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBDNET)        += usbdnet.o

>   # Object files in subdirectories
>   mod-subdirs      := serial

> and HUNK failes at 90 rejects saved to config.rej
> **************
> *** 90,95 ****
>      dep_tristate '  USB CATC NetMate-based Ethernet device support
> (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_CATC $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
> $CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
>      dep_tristate '  USB Communication Class Ethernet device support
> (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
> $CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
>      dep_tristate '  USB-to-USB Networking cable device support
> (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_USBNET $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
> $CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
>   fi

>   comment 'USB port drivers'
> --- 90,103 ----
>      dep_tristate '  USB CATC NetMate-based Ethernet device support
> (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_CATC $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
> $CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
>      dep_tristate '  USB Communication Class Ethernet device support
> (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
> $CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
>      dep_tristate '  USB-to-USB Networking cable device support
> (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_USBNET $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
> $CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
> +    dep_tristate '  USBD Network (Encapsulated) Host-to-Host Link
> (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_USBDNET $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
> $CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
> +
> +     if [ ! "$CONFIG_USB_USBDNET" = "n" ]; then
> +                  hex ' USBD Network idVendor'
> CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_VENDOR "0000"
> +                  hex ' USBD Network idProduct'
> CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_PRODUCT "0000"
> +                  hex ' USBD Network Class' CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_CLASS
> "0000"
> +                  hex ' USBD Network SubClass'
> CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_SUBCLASS "0000"
> +     fi
>   fi

>   comment 'USB port drivers'

> I then tried a make menu config, but the option for Network USBD
> (Encapsulated) was not there.

> I have tried placing the unit in the cradle and pressed the synch
> button.  The following is the result in my /var/log/messages file:

> kernel: hub.c usb new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number
> 4.
> Kernel: hub.c: usb device 4 (vend/prod 0x4dd/0x8004) is not claimed by
> any active driver.
> /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup acm CDCEther for USB product 4dd/8004/0

> ifconfig -a only lists lo and eth0 as available.  If anyone has any
> suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

> Les


 
 
 

Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Post by Eggert Ehmk » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 23:06:56



Quote:>I have been trying to get my Zaurus to connect Ethernet Over USB on my
>linux box.  I am currently running Red Hat 7.3 Kernel 2.4.18-3 and
>applied a kernel patch to load the usbnet.c driver.  When applying the
>patch I got the following error messages.

....

Did you read this howto:

http://www.ruault.com/Zaurus/ppp-usb-howto.html

It helps. However I think it's a pain to setup the Zaurus usb connection
with Linux. I must admit that sometimes I boot to Windows to do this ...
however, as soon as the connection runs, the QTopia Desktop application
works fine for synchronization.

--
Eggert Ehmke

 
 
 

Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Post by soliscree » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 05:19:41


I sync my Z with a Mandrake 8.2 (freely downloadable) and, following the
Mandrake 8.2 section of the ethernet-over-usb howto, it is _really_
simple. Everything is there by default (no need to patch the kernel for
instance) you just have to create a file with some input in it and then
amend another one. Again, all is very clearly explained in the howto.
Links:
Mandrake: http://www.mandrakelinux.com
Howto: http://www.ruault.com/Zaurus/ethernet-over-usb-howto.html

> I have been trying to get my Zaurus to connect Ethernet Over USB on my
> linux box.  I am currently running Red Hat 7.3 Kernel 2.4.18-3 and
> applied a kernel patch to load the usbnet.c driver.  When applying the
> patch I got the following error messages.

> HUNK Failed at 73 saved rejects to Makefile.rej contents of
> Makefil.rej:
> **************
> *** 73,78 ****
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI)      += hpusbscsi.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH)      += bluetooth.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBNET) += usbnet.o

>   # Object files in subdirectories
>   mod-subdirs      := serial
> --- 73,79 ----
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI)      += hpusbscsi.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH)      += bluetooth.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBNET) **************
> *** 73,78 ****
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI)      += hpusbscsi.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH)      += bluetooth.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBNET) += usbnet.o

>   # Object files in subdirectories
>   mod-subdirs      := serial
> --- 73,79 ----
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI)      += hpusbscsi.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH)      += bluetooth.o
>   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBNET) += usbnet.o
> + obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBDNET)        += usbdnet.o

>   # Object files in subdirectories
>   mod-subdirs      := serial
> += usbnet.o
> + obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBDNET)        += usbdnet.o

>   # Object files in subdirectories
>   mod-subdirs      := serial

> and HUNK failes at 90 rejects saved to config.rej
> **************
> *** 90,95 ****
>      dep_tristate '  USB CATC NetMate-based Ethernet device support
> (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_CATC $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
> $CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
>      dep_tristate '  USB Communication Class Ethernet device support
> (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
> $CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
>      dep_tristate '  USB-to-USB Networking cable device support
> (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_USBNET $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
> $CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
>   fi

>   comment 'USB port drivers'
> --- 90,103 ----
>      dep_tristate '  USB CATC NetMate-based Ethernet device support
> (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_CATC $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
> $CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
>      dep_tristate '  USB Communication Class Ethernet device support
> (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
> $CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
>      dep_tristate '  USB-to-USB Networking cable device support
> (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_USBNET $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
> $CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
> +    dep_tristate '  USBD Network (Encapsulated) Host-to-Host Link
> (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_USB_USBDNET $CONFIG_USB $CONFIG_NET
> $CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
> +
> +     if [ ! "$CONFIG_USB_USBDNET" = "n" ]; then
> +                  hex ' USBD Network idVendor'
> CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_VENDOR "0000"
> +                  hex ' USBD Network idProduct'
> CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_PRODUCT "0000"
> +                  hex ' USBD Network Class' CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_CLASS
> "0000"
> +                  hex ' USBD Network SubClass'
> CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_SUBCLASS "0000"
> +     fi
>   fi

>   comment 'USB port drivers'

> I then tried a make menu config, but the option for Network USBD
> (Encapsulated) was not there.

> I have tried placing the unit in the cradle and pressed the synch
> button.  The following is the result in my /var/log/messages file:

> kernel: hub.c usb new device connect on bus1/2, assigned device number
> 4.
> Kernel: hub.c: usb device 4 (vend/prod 0x4dd/0x8004) is not claimed by
> any active driver.
> /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup acm CDCEther for USB product 4dd/8004/0

> ifconfig -a only lists lo and eth0 as available.  If anyone has any
> suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

> Les

 
 
 

Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Post by evil_basta » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:29:59



> I sync my Z with a Mandrake 8.2 (freely downloadable) and, following the
> Mandrake 8.2 section of the ethernet-over-usb howto, it is _really_
> simple. Everything is there by default (no need to patch the kernel for
> instance) you just have to create a file with some input in it and then
> amend another one. Again, all is very clearly explained in the howto.
> Links:
> Mandrake: http://www.mandrakelinux.com
> Howto: http://www.ruault.com/Zaurus/ethernet-over-usb-howto.html


> > I have been trying to get my Zaurus to connect Ethernet Over USB on my
> > linux box.  I am currently running Red Hat 7.3 Kernel 2.4.18-3 and
> > applied a kernel patch to load the usbnet.c driver.  When applying the
> > patch I got the following error messages.

> > HUNK Failed at 73 saved rejects to Makefile.rej contents of
> > Makefil.rej:
> > **************
> > *** 73,78 ****
> >   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI) += hpusbscsi.o
> >   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH) += bluetooth.o
> >   obj-$(CONFIG_USB_USBNET)    += usbnet.o

I was hoping for a solution under redhat.  I tried loading Mandrake
8.2 but it didn't have the aicxxx7 patch for the Adaptec 2940UW
controller, plus it didn't like the soundcard on my laptop either.
That is why I stuck with Redhat.  No problem on either the desktop, or
laptop.  Since I can synch it under windows.  I will have to wait
untill a patched kernel is available for Redhat.

Les

 
 
 

Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Post by Eggert Ehmk » Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:44:38



...

Quote:>> Links:
>> Mandrake: http://www.mandrakelinux.com
>> Howto: http://www.ruault.com/Zaurus/ethernet-over-usb-howto.html
...
>I was hoping for a solution under redhat.  I tried loading Mandrake
>8.2 but it didn't have the aicxxx7 patch for the Adaptec 2940UW
>controller, plus it didn't like the soundcard on my laptop either.
>That is why I stuck with Redhat.  No problem on either the desktop, or
>laptop.  Since I can synch it under windows.  I will have to wait
>untill a patched kernel is available for Redhat.

The howto above is not limited to Mandrake. I used it to make it run with
SuSE 8.0, so I would guess it works with Redhat too.

--
Eggert Ehmke

 
 
 

Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Post by evil_basta » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 03:32:28




> ...
> >> Links:
> >> Mandrake: http://www.mandrakelinux.com
> >> Howto: http://www.ruault.com/Zaurus/ethernet-over-usb-howto.html
>  ...
> >I was hoping for a solution under redhat.  I tried loading Mandrake
> >8.2 but it didn't have the aicxxx7 patch for the Adaptec 2940UW
> >controller, plus it didn't like the soundcard on my laptop either.
> >That is why I stuck with Redhat.  No problem on either the desktop, or
> >laptop.  Since I can synch it under windows.  I will have to wait
> >untill a patched kernel is available for Redhat.

> The howto above is not limited to Mandrake. I used it to make it run with
> SuSE 8.0, so I would guess it works with Redhat too.

If you read the original post I did try the HOWTO, The problem was
with compiling the USBDNET.0 into my kernel.  I have no luck in
compiling modules as of yet.  I always end up with some type of error
I can't make sense out of.
 
 
 

Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Post by Bill Michaelso » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 04:29:10


I think if you read his post more carefully, you'll see that he is
talking about a different procedure - one that doesn't require a kernel
rebuild.  But I could be mistaken - I've been meaning to try it, but
haven't gotten around to it yet, as I have ppp working over the RS232,
and will have an 802.3 card soon.

But please, if you *do* try it, report back.  Thank you.




>>...

>>>>Links:
>>>>Mandrake: http://www.mandrakelinux.com
>>>>Howto: http://www.ruault.com/Zaurus/ethernet-over-usb-howto.html

>> ...

>>>I was hoping for a solution under redhat.  I tried loading Mandrake
>>>8.2 but it didn't have the aicxxx7 patch for the Adaptec 2940UW
>>>controller, plus it didn't like the soundcard on my laptop either.
>>>That is why I stuck with Redhat.  No problem on either the desktop, or
>>>laptop.  Since I can synch it under windows.  I will have to wait
>>>untill a patched kernel is available for Redhat.

>>The howto above is not limited to Mandrake. I used it to make it run with
>>SuSE 8.0, so I would guess it works with Redhat too.

> If you read the original post I did try the HOWTO, The problem was
> with compiling the USBDNET.0 into my kernel.  I have no luck in
> compiling modules as of yet.  I always end up with some type of error
> I can't make sense out of.

 
 
 

Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Post by Bill Michaelso » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:29:37


I just tried this recommendation with a stock RH 7.1 kernel.  It works.
  It is less elegant than the ether over USB - operationally, but it
avoids the patch, so is certainly more elegant administratively.  I
suspect any performance difference is negligible.  Hell, maybe PPP
compression makes it faster.

FYI.




>>...

>>>>Links:
>>>>Mandrake: http://www.mandrakelinux.com
>>>>Howto: http://www.ruault.com/Zaurus/ethernet-over-usb-howto.html

>> ...

>>>I was hoping for a solution under redhat.  I tried loading Mandrake
>>>8.2 but it didn't have the aicxxx7 patch for the Adaptec 2940UW
>>>controller, plus it didn't like the soundcard on my laptop either.
>>>That is why I stuck with Redhat.  No problem on either the desktop, or
>>>laptop.  Since I can synch it under windows.  I will have to wait
>>>untill a patched kernel is available for Redhat.

>>The howto above is not limited to Mandrake. I used it to make it run with
>>SuSE 8.0, so I would guess it works with Redhat too.

> If you read the original post I did try the HOWTO, The problem was
> with compiling the USBDNET.0 into my kernel.  I have no luck in
> compiling modules as of yet.  I always end up with some type of error
> I can't make sense out of.

 
 
 

Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Post by evil_basta » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 19:16:28



> I think if you read his post more carefully, you'll see that he is
> talking about a different procedure - one that doesn't require a kernel
> rebuild.  But I could be mistaken - I've been meaning to try it, but
> haven't gotten around to it yet, as I have ppp working over the RS232,
> and will have an 802.3 card soon.

> But please, if you *do* try it, report back.  Thank you.




> >>...

> >>>>Links:
> >>>>Mandrake: http://www.mandrakelinux.com
> >>>>Howto: http://www.ruault.com/Zaurus/ethernet-over-usb-howto.html

> >> ...

> >>>I was hoping for a solution under redhat.  I tried loading Mandrake
> >>>8.2 but it didn't have the aicxxx7 patch for the Adaptec 2940UW
> >>>controller, plus it didn't like the soundcard on my laptop either.
> >>>That is why I stuck with Redhat.  No problem on either the desktop, or
> >>>laptop.  Since I can synch it under windows.  I will have to wait
> >>>untill a patched kernel is available for Redhat.

> >>The howto above is not limited to Mandrake. I used it to make it run with
> >>SuSE 8.0, so I would guess it works with Redhat too.

> > If you read the original post I did try the HOWTO, The problem was
> > with compiling the USBDNET.0 into my kernel.  I have no luck in
> > compiling modules as of yet.  I always end up with some type of error
> > I can't make sense out of.

How to set up an Ethernet over USB connection between the Sharp Zaurus
SL-5000D/SL-5500 and a Linux machine.

Version: 1.10, 05/30/2002  Author: Charles-Edouard Ruault

Credits: Thanks to Stuart Lynne for allowing me to distribute Lineo's
new driver
  Thanks to the people who sent me remarks and asked questions, they
helped me improve this document !

This Document assumes that the Linux machine is running a Linux kernel
2.4.x, with x>=17
This document describes the setup for a Zaurus ROM version >= 1.10,
for older ROMs versions, check this page.
DISCLAIMER: Use this patch at your own risk, it comes with no warranty
!

To get information on specific distributions, follow these links :
Mandrake 8.2
Suse 7.1 and 8.0

1) Patch the linux kernel
The patch has been tested against kernel 2.4.17 and up.
I've received patches for some specific kernel version shipped with
common distributions, see in the download area listed below if there
is one for yours !
Download the patch corresponding to your kernel version from here

As you can see anything but Mandrake, and Suse require a Kernel
rebuild.  I can't use Mandrake because of hardware incompatibilities
on both my desktop and laptop.

 
 
 

Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Post by Bill Michaelso » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 21:29:40


ONCE AGAIN.  PLEASE PAY ATTENTION.  Eggert Ehmke did NOT refer you to
the ethernet-over-USB HOWTO.  He refered you to the ppp-over-USB HOWTO.
  Different HOWTO.  Get it?

As I reported in a separate post, I tried this with a stock Red Hat 7.1
kernel, and SUCCEEDED WITHOUT KERNEL REBUILD.  I assume you can do this
with RH 7.3.

By the way, thanks Eggert!  I got an 802.3 CF card anyway, but the info
you pointed us at is very handy.  Much appreciated.

Quote:> As you can see anything but Mandrake, and Suse require a Kernel
> rebuild.  I can't use Mandrake because of hardware incompatibilities
> on both my desktop and laptop.

 
 
 

Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Post by Eggert Ehmk » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 23:44:06



>By the way, thanks Eggert!  I got an 802.3 CF card anyway, but the info
>you pointed us at is very handy.  Much appreciated.

Now I got confused myself ...  I stated both howtos in my two postings.
Tried them both, the ppp way seems to be the easy one. Anyway, did you get
it to work by some script that runs on startup ? I always have to start the
connection manually. Did not invest too much time, though ...
Regards

--
Eggert Ehmke

 
 
 

Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Post by Bill Michaelso » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 00:44:20


Your earlier message of June 11 refers only to the PPP proc.  soliscreen
posted a note referring to the ethernet method, and you quoted
evil_bastard's quote of that on June 12, as I can reconstruct events.
Whatever.

No, I didn't place this in the startup scripts, but I did wrap my RS232
ppp solution in a trivial (2-line script)...

:
set -x
pppd ttyS0 192.168.32.1:10.141.240.1 call tyrano
sleep 10
su -c \
        'ssh -l admin 10.141.240.1 route add default gw 192.168.32.1' \                 admin

Note that I remotely execute a command to add default route, by using a
wierd hacky technique to work around problems I found in ssh.  To make a
long story short, I have a dummy user called admin on the "host" system
which is used to work around a problem where the -l option of ssh
malfunctions.  And there is also a dummy user called admin, equivalent
to root, on the Zaurus (tyrano), in order to work around another problem
with ssh.  But it works.  Also, the delay is excessive, and maybe even
unnecessary.

But this all assumes that you want to initiate the connection from the
big computer.  I suppose you want to start from the palmtop, in which
case I think you could reverse the pppd usage modes in the PPP HOWTO,
and probably simply use a defaultroute option on the palmtop
configuration side.  I guess you could run a getty on the host, from
which you could chat into a pppd?  Then the host would always be ready
for the palmtop connection, and you could initiate connection from that
side.



> Now I got confused myself ...  I stated both howtos in my two postings.
> Tried them both, the ppp way seems to be the easy one. Anyway, did you get
> it to work by some script that runs on startup ? I always have to start the
> connection manually. Did not invest too much time, though ...
> Regards

> --
> Eggert Ehmke


 
 
 

Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Post by evil_basta » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 03:09:17



> I just tried this recommendation with a stock RH 7.1 kernel.  It works.
>   It is less elegant than the ether over USB - operationally, but it
> avoids the patch, so is certainly more elegant administratively.  I
> suspect any performance difference is negligible.  Hell, maybe PPP
> compression makes it faster.

> FYI.




> >>...

> >>>>Links:
> >>>>Mandrake: http://www.mandrakelinux.com
> >>>>Howto: http://www.ruault.com/Zaurus/ethernet-over-usb-howto.html

> >> ...

> >>>I was hoping for a solution under redhat.  I tried loading Mandrake
> >>>8.2 but it didn't have the aicxxx7 patch for the Adaptec 2940UW
> >>>controller, plus it didn't like the soundcard on my laptop either.
> >>>That is why I stuck with Redhat.  No problem on either the desktop, or
> >>>laptop.  Since I can synch it under windows.  I will have to wait
> >>>untill a patched kernel is available for Redhat.

> >>The howto above is not limited to Mandrake. I used it to make it run with
> >>SuSE 8.0, so I would guess it works with Redhat too.

> > If you read the original post I did try the HOWTO, The problem was
> > with compiling the USBDNET.0 into my kernel.  I have no luck in
> > compiling modules as of yet.  I always end up with some type of error
> > I can't make sense out of.

My problem with the PPP approach is that when I installed Linux, I
avoided the ppp installation since I am running a cable modem setup.
I guess I will have to try installing PPP and see what I can do.

Les

 
 
 

Synching Zaurus With Linux Desktop.

Post by Bill Michaelso » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 08:09:12


I suppose you only need to 'rpm -ivh ppp-2.4.*', although you might have
to get out of your chair to get the install CD.

But it beats building a patched kernel, IMO.



> My problem with the PPP approach is that when I installed Linux, I
> avoided the ppp installation since I am running a cable modem setup.
> I guess I will have to try installing PPP and see what I can do.

> Les