My Linux box won't power down itself...

Post by OhadB » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi.
Recently I've compiled myself the 2.2.17 Kernel on my RedHat6.2 machine and
ended up
with a fine-working box but the shutdown process which now ask me to
manually power down the machine after shutting down its processes.
The process was always automatic before, of course.
Any suggestions ?
Thx,
~~Ohad.

My Linux box won't power down itself...

Post by Alexander Ecklof » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Recently I've compiled myself the 2.2.17 Kernel on my RedHat6.2 machine
and
> ended up
> with a fine-working box but the shutdown process which now ask me to
> manually power down the machine after shutting down its processes.
> The process was always automatic before, of course.
> Any suggestions ?

Maybe You did not enabled APM in your kernelsetup.
when using "make xconfig" see in section "General setup" and set
"Advanced Power Management" to "Y". Then compile again and test.

Post by Eric » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi.
> Recently I've compiled myself the 2.2.17 Kernel on my RedHat6.2 machine and
> ended up
> with a fine-working box but the shutdown process which now ask me to
> manually power down the machine after shutting down its processes.
> The process was always automatic before, of course.
> Any suggestions ?
> Thx,
> ~~Ohad.

recompile again and pay specific attention to the APM parts in the
compilation procedure . (APM = advanced power management)

Eric

My Linux box won't power down itself...

Post by Greg William » Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:24:38

This happened to me and I tried recompiling the kernel but it still doesn't
work.  Any suggestions?

> > Hi.
> > Recently I've compiled myself the 2.2.17 Kernel on my RedHat6.2 machine
and
> > ended up
> > with a fine-working box but the shutdown process which now ask me to
> > manually power down the machine after shutting down its processes.
> > The process was always automatic before, of course.
> > Any suggestions ?
> > Thx,
> > ~~Ohad.

> recompile again and pay specific attention to the APM parts in the
> compilation procedure . (APM = advanced power management)

> Eric

My Linux box won't power down itself...

Post by CD » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Maybe a switch in BIOS?

> This happened to me and I tried recompiling the kernel but it still
doesn't
> work.  Any suggestions?

> > > Hi.
> > > Recently I've compiled myself the 2.2.17 Kernel on my RedHat6.2
machine
> and
> > > ended up
> > > with a fine-working box but the shutdown process which now ask me to
> > > manually power down the machine after shutting down its processes.
> > > The process was always automatic before, of course.
> > > Any suggestions ?
> > > Thx,
> > > ~~Ohad.

> > recompile again and pay specific attention to the APM parts in the
> > compilation procedure . (APM = advanced power management)

> > Eric

My Linux box won't power down itself...

Post by Vigi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Mine works with this:

CONFIG_APM=y
# CONFIG_APM_IGNORE_USER_SUSPEND is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE is not set
# CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK is not set
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=y
# CONFIG_APM_ALLOW_INTS is not set
CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF=y

claim:

--

.

1. Sparc10 Won't power-on after shutting down through power button

OK, the title says it all. I am running Solaris 8 and I did a system
shutdown (power off) using the power key, rather than just going to standby
or using the power switch. Now the power supply will not come on unless I
remove the CPU card. I guess it could be the power supply, but I think doing
the soft power-off freaked out my unit which has a Ross processor. Anybody
seen anything like this?? Is there someway to force a NVRAM clear via a
jumper or something??

Your help is appreciated!!!!

2. KENTON... does not work... I tried

3. After power failure, RH Linux box won't boot

4. pump taking all CPU power after only 8 hours???

5. init 5 doesn't power down a x86 sol8 box

6. Switch to Console

7. IDE drive won't come back after power down

8. Netscape Calender Server

9. Shutdown won't power down

10. Won't power-down on shutdown...

11. Won't Power down (Was: More about 2.4.3 timer problems)

12. Manually powered down computer, won't boot

13. Noisy HardDisk won't power down