problem w Linux boot disks

Post by Storm Drag » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I've been trying to make a 2 disk set of boot disks and I've been having a
very strange problem.  First of all, the boot disk works fine but I'm
having a problem with the RFS disk. After I get the prompt to change
disks, I do so and I get a message saying that the RFS was found at sector
0 and that then I get a (VFS) Root Filse system mounted and the system
just hangs. I've tried this by hand many times and on this last try I used
yard but the same problem occurs. Can anyone help?

---
Storm Dragon

Nigel D. Browne

fone: (916) 756-1038

problem w Linux boot disks

Post by Michael » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Please correct me if I am wrong.  My memory system is not quite reliable
due to the upcoming finals.

Here is what I heard:
1..     If you uncompress the root image before write to the floppy,
        please write the compressed image instead.
2..     Just the reverse.  If you put the compressed image on floppy,
        then uncompress it and write to disk.
I can't remeber which one is correct.

: I've been trying to make a 2 disk set of boot disks and I've been having a
: very strange problem.  First of all, the boot disk works fine but I'm
: having a problem with the RFS disk. After I get the prompt to change
: disks, I do so and I get a message saying that the RFS was found at sector
: 0 and that then I get a (VFS) Root Filse system mounted and the system
: just hangs. I've tried this by hand many times and on this last try I used
: yard but the same problem occurs. Can anyone help?

: ---
: Storm Dragon

: Nigel D. Browne

: fone: (916) 756-1038

http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~ngs            - My official no-fun page
http://www.engr.ucdavis.edu/~syng              - My intended-to-be fun page
http://www.engr.ucdavis.edu/~syng/anime.html - My anime page
http://www.engr.ucdavis.edu/~syng/smoon.html - My SailorMoon page

1. Problem while booting linux through LILO or boot-disk

Hi,
I have a SCSI (AHA2740-2840-2940) card for my CD-ROM drive. While doing
the
installation (Redhat 5.2) the program is able to probe and find out the
card and initialize
the CD-ROM to function properly. This helps me in completing the
installation.

When I want to boot using LILO or the boot disk I get the following
error and the
system stops booting:
(SCSI0) found at EISA slot....
(SCSI0) Twin channel....
(SCSI0) Downloading sequencer code... 423 instructions downloaded
(SCSI0) BRKADRINT error (0x8):
Sequencer Ram Parity error

Kernel Panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT
Aieee: scheduling in interrupt 0016d2a0
Aieee: scheduling in interrupt 0016d2a0
Aieee: scheduling in interrupt 0016d2a0
Aieee: scheduling in interrupt 0016d2a0
Aieee: scheduling in interrupt 0016d2a0

 Please help with any suggestions. I have been trying various things
 but it does not seem to work. Have spent so much time just getting
 the system to boot!!!

 Thanks in advance.
 Kumar.

2. Mbuf questions -- thanks

3. Problem booting with Linux boot disk

4. copy from 8mm to 4mm tape across ethernet ?

5. Booting Linux from Dos, problem with boot disk !

6. R5 on french PBG3 WallStreet and desktop OK

7. Linux rant

8. How to config LILO on non-boot disk (b4 using it as boot disk)

9. *NEW* boot disk won't, *OLD* boot disk will!

10. copy boot disc to a replacement boot disc -

11. Starts x86 boot from AHA2940UW disk then says no boot disk

12. Lilo problems ***** Disappearing third disk after booting from second disk