ps isn't giving me the WHOLE list!?

Post by Bo » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

my process status isn't giving me everything running...

ie: i KNOW there are daemons, etc running in bkgrd -

why doesn't ps show them?

i'm running mandrake 5.3, signed in as root,
and have checked man ps, & tried all parameters...

tia - bg

Post by Matt Starne » Fri, 28 May 1999 04:00:00

> my process status isn't giving me everything running...

> ie: i KNOW there are daemons, etc running in bkgrd -

> why doesn't ps show them?

> i'm running mandrake 5.3, signed in as root,
> and have checked man ps, & tried all parameters...

> tia - bg

Try ps ax

Matt

ps isn't giving me the WHOLE list!?

As matt said, make sure you are in as root and try ps x, or ps ax.

--
Scott Stahl
MIS Asst.

ps isn't giving me the WHOLE list!?

Post by Bo » Sun, 30 May 1999 04:00:00

apologies & thanks to all -

i'm an old sysV 'r - after RE-checking the man page,
and REALLY READING the darn thing - i did find my err...

tx to all 4 the help....

Post by Villy Kru » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

>apologies & thanks to all -

>i'm an old sysV 'r - after RE-checking the man page,
>and REALLY READING the darn thing - i did find my err...

>tx to all 4 the help....

Then you might get a pleasent supprise if you use the new ps that
comes with redhat 6.0 when you try 'ps -ef' and get what you expect.

Also:  'ps l' and 'ps -l' is no longer identical which can be confusing.

Villy

1. 'ps' gives 'Illegal Instruction'

Having installed 1.1.47 and procps 0.96, ps now gives an 'Illegal Instruction'
message on one machine.  Another machine works fine.  I strace'd the 'ps'
and it occurred after a 'brk()' call.

Can anyone think of why this might happen?  I verified that the 'ps' executable
was in order, so it might be something nasty with the proc filesystem.

Please reply to my e-Mail address.

Thanks for any help.   Karl

Vitrociset S.p.A.                               Tel   : +(49) 6151 902041
European Space Agency                           Fax   : +(49) 6151 904041

2. User browsing

3. Ftape gives I/O error, says tape isn't formatted

4. bandwidth monitor?

5. Q: Why does 'netstat' give me this huge long list of sockets?

6. cpufreq: allow user to specify voltage

7. How to list files 'since' given date?

8. Hacking

9. Why isn't all monitor resolutions listed with m64config for SPARC/Solaris PGX64 ??

10. how to get a 'ps' listing for ALL ttys?

11. changing 'ps' listing

12. block on freelist list isn't free

13. 'make dep' gives error - what gives?