Ghostscript 5.10

Post by Charles E. Hil » Sun, 21 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I installed RedHat 5.0 from the Linux for Dummies CD-ROM.  (2.0.31 kernel)
I downloaded, configed, compiled and installed the 2.0.34 release kernel.
Ghostscript worked fine from there.  I set up half-a-dozen printers and they
all work (though RedHat's printtool doesn't create the /etc/printcap
properly).

I next obtained the Ghostscript 5.10 rpms along with the Fonts and Other
Fonts rpms.  Using the RedHat package tool in X, I upgraded Ghostscript and
the Fonts, then installed the Other Fonts.

First it complained and I had to install libpng, then it installed/upgraded
fine.

Now every time it is invoked I get "Segmentation Fault (Core Dump)" and
nothing prints.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to get GS 5.10 working properly?

--
Charles E. Hill
SMP Electronics

Ghostscript 5.10

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 22 Jun 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:

> I next obtained the Ghostscript 5.10 rpms along with the Fonts and Other
> Fonts rpms.  Using the RedHat package tool in X, I upgraded Ghostscript and
> the Fonts, then installed the Other Fonts.

> First it complained and I had to install libpng, then it installed/upgraded
> fine.

> Now every time it is invoked I get "Segmentation Fault (Core Dump)" and
> nothing prints.

> Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to get GS 5.10 working properly?

I suggest you try the 5.10 RPMs available from:

http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~typhoon/

In my experience, these are the least trouble-prone of the Ghostscript
5.10 RPMs.  You probably don't need to update the 5.10 fonts you've
already gotten, but you may need to force installation if you don't do
this by using the "--force" switch to rpm.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me