NT4.0+Win95+DOS/Win3.11+Redhat+Linux- all bootable

NT4.0+Win95+DOS/Win3.11+Redhat+Linux- all bootable

Post by C. Perki » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Subject: Multi OS System

Windows 95 + Windows NT + DOS 6.22 + Linux (Red Hat and Slackware)

I use a LILO bootloader that allows me to access Linux (I have two
versions installed), Windows 95 (OSR2), DOS (6.22) and Windows (3.11)
and NT 4.0.

There are no reasons why I did this or used these specific OSs.  It
just made
a good Sunday afternoon project.

I hope this is of some help to somebody somewhere, and if there is an
easier way (without buying System Commander), please let me know, as I
am a linux newbie.

Specs:
The machine I used was a generic 166MMX, 64 MB RAM, and 4.1 GB, 3.5
GB,
4.1 GB Hard Disks and a 32X Teac CD.

1.  Under DOS, and using rawrite, I made installation disks for both
versions of Linux that I wanted to install (Slackware 3.1 and Red Hat
4.2)

2.  I used Linux fdisk and created a /root (100MB) and /usr directory
on
each of the first two hard disks, and a common swap partition (128 MB)
on the
first HDD.  I left all other space unpartitioned.

3.  I rebooted, disabled my primary master in cmos, and installed Dos
and Windows
for Workgroups on HDB3.  I then formatted partitions on HDB4, HDC1 and
HDC2 as FAT16.
I used FAT16 because all the OSs would be able to access them.

4.  I then installed NT 4.0 over DOS on HDB3 choosing the "Leave
current file system
intact".  This gives me the option of choosing NT or DOS when I boot
to this
partition.

5.  I rebooted, re-enabled my primary master, and disabled my primary
slave.
If you do not do this Win95 SR2 will mess with the MBR on the second
hard disk.

6.  I then installed Windows 95 on HDA4.  I had to use FAT32 because
of FDISK 4 partition
limit.  If I used FAT16 I could not use all the remaining space on the
partition as DOS.

7.  I then installed Slackware on HDB1.

8.  I then installed Red Hat on HDA1.

9.  I enabled LILO and customized my /etc/boot.msg and /etc/lilo.conf
(below are the examples)

It all works well, even though to get to DOS I really have count on
the NT Kernel.

Chad Perkins

#/etc/lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hda