Misc questions on a Bully-free computer

Post by Run U » Thu, 22 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm contemplating new hardware and have some questions that
I don't remember having seen answered in my many hours reading
newsgroups like this and web pages like Tom's Hardware.  I
admit that I haven't reasearched the Graphics questions, so
feel free to ignore those if you want.  I'm one of those Bully
Boycotters and have some uncommon considerations as a result
of wanting an uncommon CPU, motherboard chipset, and OS.

1) Do some "jumperless" motherboards require the use of MS-Windows
or MS-DOS to set up the BIOS?  Which ones?

2) The only ATX motherboards I've seen with non-Intel chipsets
have only two ISA slots.  Can I get sound cards and extra-I/O
cards with PCI interfaces?  Are they much more expensive than ISA?

3) Do ATX power supplies blow air into or out of the case?  Any
way to reverse it?  I want all my fans blowing air in thru filters,
even if it cools less efficiently (before things get covered with
dust).

4) Any problems running Linux with the latest SIS or VIA chipsets?
A couple years ago I read rumours that Linux ran slow with SIS.

5) Since Linux doesn't use the BIOS after boot, how is it possible
for Linux to work at all with non-Intel chipsets?  Do these chips
all emulate Intel chipset control regesters, etc?

6) Does Linux support parity or ECC memory?  (Memory is so cheap
now, I'm suprised this isn't more popular.)  If so, what happens
when Linux gets an error indication?  How is the user informed?
Are there popular protocals for handling memory errors such as
saving backup and working files before shutting programs down,
etc.?  Is there any means to report which memory is bad?  Is
there any means to work around bad memory like bad disk sectors?

7) Can integrated printer-scanners be used just as well as separate
printers and scanners under Linux?  When using any of these 3 types
of devices, will many features be missing (without writing my own
programs) which the supplied MS-Windows SW makes available?

------- Bully Boycott -----
8) Do the latest AMD CPUs still have the MS-Windows logo on them?
(In that case, Cyrix will do just fine for my needs.)

9) Just curious.  Do board makers or BIOS makers have to pay
Intel/MS licencing fees to implement PCI, PnP, or a BIOS?

10) When companies advertise using "Intel Inside" or "Designed for
Windows 95/NT" logos, do they pay Intel/MS or does Intel/MS pay
them or is it a "wash"?

------- Graphics -----
11) If I just want to run 2D X-Windows at 1280x1024x24bits, is there
any reason to have more than 4 Meg video memory?

12) Can I resonably expect Linux and/or SW running on Linux to take
advantage of AGP hardware in the next two years?

13) What's the best reasonably priced Linux-friendly video card for
running 2D X-Windows at 1280x1024x24bits (4 meg)?
How about 1600x1200x24bits (8 meg)?

14) Is there any reason to get a typical 3D video card for a pure Linux
machine?  I understand that the only 3D software on Linux for now
requires the rather rare OpenGL compatible hardware.  Is this correct?

Please don't try sending mail.  Thanks.

Misc questions on a Bully-free computer

Post by Brion Vibbe » Fri, 23 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> 1) Do some "jumperless" motherboards require the use of MS-Windows
> or MS-DOS to set up the BIOS?  Which ones?

If they do, it's the dumbest idea I've ever heard... if you*up the
settings so that you can't boot, then you wouldn't be able to fix it ever!
I suspect that they simply have more settings in the ROM-based setup
program than a MB that has jumpers for everything would have.

Quote:> 2) The only ATX motherboards I've seen with non-Intel chipsets
> have only two ISA slots.  Can I get sound cards and extra-I/O
> cards with PCI interfaces?  Are they much more expensive than ISA?

Well, the Ensoniq AudioPCI is PCI. Don't know about cost since it came
with my computer, but it will cost you $30 to get OSS/Linux with the
AudioPCI option fron 4Front tech.

Quote:> 5) Since Linux doesn't use the BIOS after boot, how is it possible
> for Linux to work at all with non-Intel chipsets?  Do these chips
> all emulate Intel chipset control regesters, etc?

As a guess, these chipsets are designed to be reasonably compatible with
the standard Intel chips. Those that aren't would require support in the
kernel for Linux.

Quote:> 8) Do the latest AMD CPUs still have the MS-Windows logo on them?
> (In that case, Cyrix will do just fine for my needs.)

Sounds like you're going just a little too far in your bully protection if
you ask me... I don't really care whose logo is on the chip, it's not like
you're going to be looking at it very often!

Quote:> 10) When companies advertise using "Intel Inside" or "Designed for
> Windows 95/NT" logos, do they pay Intel/MS or does Intel/MS pay
> them or is it a "wash"?

For the "Designed for Windows 95/NT" logo, companies must pay a fee to MS
which pays for the testing of the software to ensure that it follows the
requirements for bearing the logo, but there doesn't appear to be a fee
for using the logo once the product has passed the testing.

Quote:> ------- Graphics -----
> 11) If I just want to run 2D X-Windows at 1280x1024x24bits, is there
> any reason to have more than 4 Meg video memory?

If you pick a card that supports only 32-bit and not 24-bit, then yes. But
for packed 24-bit, probably not.

Quote:> 12) Can I resonably expect Linux and/or SW running on Linux to take
> advantage of AGP hardware in the next two years?

Yes. SuSE's X server for the NVidia Riva 128 chipset will soon have
acceleration support for AGP Riva cards. I think there are some other
chipsets that are currently supported by various servers for AGP, but I'm
not sure.

Quote:> 14) Is there any reason to get a typical 3D video card for a pure Linux
> machine?  I understand that the only 3D software on Linux for now
> requires the rather rare OpenGL compatible hardware.  Is this correct?

Depends on what kind of software you're looking for... GLQuake and
GLQuake2 will run on a card with the 3dfx Voodoo chipset, and cards with
that chipset are far from rare. ;)

1. Novice questions: misc shell questions

Hellow,

serveral very basic questions:

  1.) is there a way to turn echo on for the entire script so that when
you execute it interactively, you can see each line and error come up on your
terminal, like vms's set verify ??

   2.) is there a way to force the script to execute every line and not
abort after the 1st line it encounters with an error? like vms' set noon?

   3.) what is the difference betwen ` and ' in use and meaning, subtelties?

   4.) what is the difference between alias, set, and setenv?
   5.) why sometimes, i see echo `tty` and othertimes echo $TERM ? why doesn't
       echo 'tty' work (normal ' direction)?

  6.) why sometimes, I see if.... fi, other times i see if... endif?
   7.) I saw this line: what that is mean:

     If [ -f /xxxx/xxxx/filename ]; then
             /xxxx/xxxx/filename
      fi
     If [ -x /xxxx/xxxx/filename]; then
             /xxxx/xxxx/filename

       fi

    8.) when I tried to execute the above, I found it would not:

         I had to replace the [ ] with  (), I had to remove the ";",
        and change the "fi" to "endif".

        what goes?

   9.) could you give me some of the finer points in using alias, set, and sset

      and setenv.

      a very confused beginner in unix,
     thanx,

2. Migrate to cde

3. Schoolyard Bullies (was Re: Let Me Explain

4. Filesystem AIO read-write patches

5. CNN Poll: do you feel bullied by Microsoft?

6. mmap - creating a file

7. Solaris 2.4 panic: free: freeing free block

8. How to setup news over Term

9. FREE E-MAIL, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT

10. FREE E-MAIL ACCOUNT, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT.

11. FREE E-MAIL ACCOUNT, FREE DISK SPACE, FREE UNIX ACCOUNT