Linux hard disk from Pentium to a 486 ?

Post by Petteri Korkiakosk » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a Pentium 133MHz (64 MB RAM) with two hard disks and Linux (RH
4.1) installed to other one of those (Win95 on the other). Now I will
lose my Pentium computer and have left only my old 486 33MHz IBM
PS/1 (24 MB RAM). Is it possible to just take the hard disk containing
Linux from the Pentium machine and plug it in the 486 and recompile the
kernel there after booting to Linux with a boot disk? I suppose there
might be some trouble with video card and the BIOS, but can I somehow
work around those problems?
Any ideas how I should do this? I don't want to (or actually I don't
have the possibility) install Linux again on the 486.
Please reply by email also.

Thanks.

Petteri Korkiakoski

1. Linux hard disk from Pentium to a 486 - WORKS!

Thanks everyone for help, I tried it yesterday and it worked the first
time I booted the 486 :).I compiled the kernel in the Pentium machine to
suit the parameters of the 486 and just plugged the hard disk in the 486
( as a slave as it was in the Pentium machine).  All this took about 1,5
hours, which is about 10 hours less than I expected :).
Even though the BIOS is from  1993 and the hard disk is 3,8 GB Quantum I
didn't have any problems with the BIOS (well, it gave an hard disk
error, but in running fdisk in DOS showed that everything was OK). I
guess the disk manager that came with the hard disk did its job well
this time.
Now I just wonder, how long it would have taken to do the same with a
win95 disk.....

Petteri KOrkiakoski

- Of course the opionons are mine and not those of Ericsson corporation.

2. typedef

3. FreeBSD (2.1), my old '486, and a 2.5 GB hard disc

4. Problem with a OnBoard Networkcard

5. Installing Linux on 486 from Pentium II using LAN

6. Some clean up of the time code.

7. Benchmarks for Linux, Pentium vs. 486

8. Tracing system call anyone?

9. Linux Kernel built on a Pentium doesn t boot on a 486

10. Linux on top-of-the-line (486 or Pentium) Dell or Compaq computers

11. Linux Kernel Compilation for 386/486/Pentium?

12. Sparc vs. 486/Pentium [WAS:Re: Mail Order Linux Workstation Vendors]

13. Pentium vs. 486 for Linux