Zip drive (atapi) problem with supermount!

Zip drive (atapi) problem with supermount!

Post by Karim 'Kasi Mir' Senouc » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm having problems getting a Zip drive to work with the supermount
though the problem is more one of the ide-floppy drive which is being
used to handle atapi ZIPs.

supermount works in the way that I can mount a zip drive on bemand (very
much, but not completely like autofs); the problem is that *unlike* with,
say, a CD-ROM drive, I cannot change a disk once one access has been made
to it, as the mount, as usual, locks the drive.

To counter that effect, the supermount filesystem explicitly unlocks the
door button whenever possible. It uses an mediactl() call to do so. This
is the root of all evil in this case: ide-cd.c (for atapi cdroms) contains
a routine that recongizes the call and unlocks the door; ide-floppy.c (for
atapi floppies, including zip drives) simply ignores the call as there's
no routine to handle the request.

I honestly don't believe that the atapi zip drive cannot be unlocked in a
way very similar to the atapi cd-roms. My question is: how can I get this
working? Has anyone build a workaround or kernel patch to do so, or might
there be another solution?

Any help is thankfully appreciated.

bye
Kasi Mir
--

** Tel/Fax: +49 40 754938-75/-30 ----- s-mail: Dahlgrnring 1, 21109 Hamburg

1. ATAPI Zip in Linux (Was Re: ZIP drive parameters)

That's odd, I KNOW that a Zip Disk only has 1 platter,
which means it can only have 2 heads (upper & lower).
The math work out, however, so I can't complain. Maybe
this is some kind of LBA (logical block addressing)
thing?

Next question: Now that I have the Zip Drive connected,
how do I get Linux to mount a disk? I have added the
Zip to my fstab with this line:

/dev/hdc  /zip  msdos  noauto   0    0

When I try to "mount /zip" I get a little activity on
the Zip drive, and the following messages:

mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
hdc: media changed
hdc: packet command error: status=0x51
hdc: packet command error: error=0x50
hdc: code: 0x70  key: 0x05  asc: 0x20  ascq: 0x00
hdc: cdrom_read_intr: data underrun (1 blocks)
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00, sector 1
FAT bread failed
mount: wrong fs type, bad options, bad superblock on /dev/hdc
       or too many mounted file systems

I only have three file systems mounted (/, /home, /proc),
so I know that I don't have too many mounted file systems.
I'm betting on the bad superblock, and I think that it is
caused by some ATAPI wierdness of the Zip drive. Maybe I
need to specify some kind of block size or something? Has
anyone else used an ATAPI Zip drive with Linux and gotten
it to work?

- Jeff Dutky

2. solaris limitation in caching of filenames < 31 chars

3. Atapi zip drive problem

4. pppd ...ISP Connection

5. Problem with ATAPI ZIP drive

6. can normal user run server software?