Kernel compilation problem with Slackware 3.0

Kernel compilation problem with Slackware 3.0

Post by Nicolas Pettiau » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

        I have installed by ftp Linux Slackware 3.0, including the compilatins tools
and the kernel source code; I try to compile a new kernel as mentionned for
example in "Running Linux" by Matt Welsh. The source a for kernel 1.2.13. I
want to get a zIamge (compressed kernel)
but the only one I get is vmlinux that is approx. 770kbytes, so not compressed.
I do
        make config  , and do the selection
        make dep
        make clean
        make zImage

(checking the Makefile in /usr/src/linux, I see that it refers to vmlinux but
nowhere to vmlinuz or zImage).

        Can anyone help ?

        Thansk and happy new year

        Nicolas

| Nicolas Pettiaux, PhD   Laboratoire de physique biomedicale, CP 613/3 |
| ULB, Campus Erasme      Route de Lennik 808, B-1070 Brussels, Belgium |

Kernel compilation problem with Slackware 3.0

Post by Robert Woodco » Fri, 29 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>    I have installed by ftp Linux Slackware 3.0, including the compilatins tools
>and the kernel source code; I try to compile a new kernel as mentionned for
>example in "Running Linux" by Matt Welsh. The source a for kernel 1.2.13. I
>want to get a zIamge (compressed kernel)
>but the only one I get is vmlinux that is approx. 770kbytes, so not compressed.
>I do
>    make config  , and do the selection
>    make dep
>    make clean
>    make zImage
>(checking the Makefile in /usr/src/linux, I see that it refers to vmlinux but
>nowhere to vmlinuz or zImage).

Look in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot.

If you still can't find it, wait until your cron calls updatedb
(or call it yourself) and then type:

locate vmlinuz

If that *still* doesn't find it, the kernel appears to be gzipped.

I always type make zlilo instead of make zImage to avoid these hassles.
--

Mencken and Nathan's Ninth Law of The Average American:
        The quality of a champagne is judged by the amount of noise the

Kernel compilation problem with Slackware 3.0

Post by Harvey Fishm » Tue, 02 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello,

>    I have installed by ftp Linux Slackware 3.0, including the compilatins tools
> and the kernel source code; I try to compile a new kernel as mentionned for
> example in "Running Linux" by Matt Welsh. The source a for kernel 1.2.13. I
> want to get a zIamge (compressed kernel)
> but the only one I get is vmlinux that is approx. 770kbytes, so not compressed.
> I do
>    make config  , and do the selection
>    make dep
>    make clean
>    make zImage

> (checking the Makefile in /usr/src/linux, I see that it refers to vmlinux but
> nowhere to vmlinuz or zImage).

>    Can anyone help ?

make zImage creates the file /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage.  If you
want to make this the boot image, you must copy it to /vmlinuz and then
execute lilo to have lilo write its absolute location into the lilo image.

Personally, I always make zdisk.  This, in addition to creating that
zImage file, will copy it to a floppy as a bootable image file.  I then
run

rdev -R /def/fd0 1

to have the floppy able to find its kernel.  I will boot several times
from the floppy to be sure that the new kernel is indeed something that I
want before I copy the new kernel to vmlinuz and commit to it by running
lilo.  Remember that if you use LILO, you MUST run it explicitly to set it
to the new kernel.  Else LILO will continue to boot from the old kernel
until the image is overwritten and then it will crash.

Harvey

 Harvey Fishman   |   It is easy to live by the laws that you agree with.

  718-258-7276    |        even the ones that you think are wrong.

Post by Larry Snyd » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

|> > Hello,
|> >
|> >      I have installed by ftp Linux Slackware 3.0, including the compilatins tools
|> > and the kernel source code; I try to compile a new kernel as mentionned for
|> > example in "Running Linux" by Matt Welsh. The source a for kernel 1.2.13. I
|> > want to get a zIamge (compressed kernel)
|> > but the only one I get is vmlinux that is approx. 770kbytes, so not compressed.
|> > I do
|> >      make config  , and do the selection
|> >      make dep
|> >      make clean
|> >      make zImage
|> >
|> > (checking the Makefile in /usr/src/linux, I see that it refers to vmlinux but
|> > nowhere to vmlinuz or zImage).
|> >
|> >      Can anyone help ?
|>
|> make zImage creates the file /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage.  If you
|> want to make this the boot image, you must copy it to /vmlinuz and then
|> execute lilo to have lilo write its absolute location into the lilo image.
|>
|> Personally, I always make zdisk.  This, in addition to creating that
|> zImage file, will copy it to a floppy as a bootable image file.  I then
|> run
|>
|> rdev -R /def/fd0 1

What this command does is to tell the kernel to mount the root partition r/o
so it can be fsck'd.

|> to have the floppy able to find its kernel.  I will boot several times
|> from the floppy to be sure that the new kernel is indeed something that I
|> want before I copy the new kernel to vmlinuz
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You can copy your zImage file to any name.  In fact you can even leave it where
the make put it (not recommended).  I usually have 4-5 kernels lying around in
my  / directory.  One thing you DON'T want to do is blow away your last working
kernel.  You can tell LILO to boot any of numerous kernels in lilo.conf.  Check
out the lilo how-to.

 and commit to it by running
|> lilo.  Remember that if you use LILO, you MUST run it explicitly to set it
|> to the new kernel.  Else LILO will continue to boot from the old kernel
|> until the image is overwritten and then it will crash.
|>
|> Harvey
|>
|> --
|> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|>  Harvey Fishman   |   It is easy to live by the laws that you agree with.

|>   718-258-7276    |        even the ones that you think are wrong.

--
Larry Snyder                                         # (513) 865-6906
LEXIS-NEXIS                                   Distributed Network Eng.

Dayton, Ohio  45401                      ...!uunet!lexis-nexis!larrys

1. Slackware 3.0 a.out compilation problem

LINUX whizzes:

I have just express installed SLACKWARE 3.0.
I have not had linux on my system before,
so my problem is backward compatibility with a.out.  The source is not available
so I cannot simply recompile.  The following is from memory, so there may be
some slight problems.

Trying to isolate another problem, I did the following:

1.  I wrote a "hello world" program which I tried to compile using

        g++ -b i486-linuxaout hello.c

    and got a message (this is from memory)

        Installation problem: cannot find cpp

2.  After checking the ELF how-to, I saw that cpp was in the place it should be
    (/lib, I think), so I added that directory to the path.

3.  Tried the same compile, then got

        Installation problem: cannot find cc1plus

    I may have the name of this one wrong.  However,
    I located *that* file and added its directory to the path.  (It also was
    where it should be according to the ELF howto.)

    Tried the same compile, then got

        as: unknown flag '-Qs'  (or maybe '-Qy' ??)

Any ideas?

Eric

2. mlockall() and root access

3. 3.0 kernel compilation problem Q

4. BSDCon 2002

5. Compilation problems in Slackware 96 Kernel

6. Faculty Position Available at Dartmouth College

7. slackware 3.0 kernel compiling problem: need help...

8. EEPRO/10 problem

9. Slackware 3.0/1.3.20 kernel CD-ROM boot-up problems

10. slackware 3.0 kernel compiling problem: help NEEDED!!

11. Slackware 3.0 kernel compiling PROBLEM: Help needed!!

12. Slackware 3.0 Problem:Can't Find Kernel

13. Slackware Kernel Compilation and missing '..' entries