Please! help a poor LINUX beginner

Post by pmasso » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 23:18:07

Hi,
I'm a brand new Linux user, I've spent all the night "playing" with
partitions and LINUX installation...
In fact , I've got Windows Millenium installed on my PC (no comment...)
and I installed yesterday SUSE LINUX 7.0. At the end of the installation

(about 5 a.m. ...) I was invited to to login, YES! It worked well, then
I decided to reboot on LINUX to check if it was possible. After the
"boot:' and "Loading LINUX......." the system checked my hardware
devices but it kept stopped after that:

 Starting device USB : Loading USB_HCI failed
 Maybe USB or the USB IRQ is disabled in the BIOS, enable it
 usb-uhci:High Bandwidth mode enabled
 usb-uhci:USB UHCI at I/O 0x1400, IRQ 11
 usb-uhci:Detected 2 ports
 usb.c:New USB bus regitered, assigned bus number1
 usb.c:New device connect, assigned device number 1
 hub.c:USB hub found
 hub.c:2 ports detected
 -

and that's it, I wasn't able to do anything...

So, I decided to reboot one more time passing through the BIOS, checking

if my USB controllers were activated and doing "Detect drivers and
Exit". And then, I was invited to login, but my keyboard was off!!! as
it is plugged in the USB port. So I didn't manage to type my login and
password...

6 a.m., I went to bed very upset without knowing what to do.
As I told before, I'm a beginner an now, I really don't know what to do
as I cannot access to LINUX. I think I'm gonna try to use a normal
keyboard PSI to see if LINUX can see it and to be able to type
letters...
But I still have a problem with USB and my usual keyboard .

It would be very kind to you if you could give me some advice concerning

my problems.
I really feel disenchanted... :-(

Thank you

PA.

Post by dbian.. » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 23:52:38

> if my USB controllers were activated and doing "Detect drivers and
> Exit". And then, I was invited to login, but my keyboard was off!!! as
> it is plugged in the USB port.

USB support in Linux is fairly new, so it's not completely tested,
beside that, the stock kernel you installed probabily tried to start
every driver for the USB, maybe you should "tune" your driver for
your specific system.

See on the web site of Suse if they have special advice for USB
keyboards, in the meantime, I suggest you to use a "normal"
keyboard.

Please, in future use a more specific subject for posting... a lot
of people tend to ignore post with "help me" or similar things in
the subject.

Davide

Post by Georg Ortmann » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:18:29

> Hi,
> I'm a brand new Linux user, I've spent all the night "playing" with
> partitions and LINUX installation...
> In fact , I've got Windows Millenium installed on my PC (no comment...)
> and I installed yesterday SUSE LINUX 7.0. At the end of the installation

> (about 5 a.m. ...) I was invited to to login, YES! It worked well, then
> I decided to reboot on LINUX to check if it was possible. After the
> "boot:' and "Loading LINUX......." the system checked my hardware
> devices but it kept stopped after that:

>  Starting device USB : Loading USB_HCI failed

Update to SuSE 7.2, there are lots problems with usb fixed.

--
Regards

   To get my PGP key send mail with subject "Send PGP key"

Please! help a poor LINUX beginner

Post by pmasso » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 23:04:31

Thanks
Now it works with a normal keyboard, so I'm gonna try to discover LINUX and
fix up my USB problems later...

PA

1. Please, please help the poor suffering fool...

This is a *very* bad time for this to happen (isn't it always).

Over the weekend my system locked up, and when I returned to work and
rebooted the problems *really* started:

The kernel loads, but when it goes to mount the root filesystem it errors
out with:

EXT2-fs error (device 03:02): ext2_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for
group 59 not in group (block 491527)!
EXT2-fs: group descriptors corrupted !
mount: wrong fs type or bad superblock on /dev/hda2

[ I just generated this error by booting off an emergency disk and trying
to mount /dev/hda2, my root partition ]

If I do an e2fsck [ from my emergency boot disk ] I get a lot of these
type of entries:

Block bitmap 491527 for group 59 is not in group.
Continue (and relocate)<y>?

Warning Inode bitmap 491528 for group 59 not in  group.
Continue<y>?

Warning Inode table 491529 for group 59 not in group.
WARNING: SEVERE DATA LOSS POSSIBLE.
Continue<y>?

this repeats for group 60, 61, 62 and 63 then proceeds to:

/dev/hda2 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks and sizes
Deleted inode 248271 has zero dtime.
Set dtime<y>?

Relocating group 59's block bitmap to 491527...
Relocating group 59's inode bitmap to 491528...
Relocating group 59's inode table to 491529...
[ this repeats up to group 63 ]
Restarting e2fsck from the beginning...
Block bitmap 491527 for group 59 is not in group.
Continue (and relocate)<y>?
[ this is as before, up to group 63 ]
/dev/hda2 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
e2fsck: %s: Can't allocate directory block information

[ note: a newer version of e2fsck says the same thing, but exits with:
  e2fsck: A block group is missing an inode table. while doing inode scan ]

then it exits.  This seems to be an error in the code for fsck, but the
greater problem is: Can I ever mount this disk again (even in read-only)
to recover some data! :(

I can access the inodes with debugfs, and have determined that "groups"
59-63 have the "Wrong" inodes listed (they're out of sync with the
others...

How do I reset where these groups are "located" manually?

Help, please help... :(

Help!  Help!

Emailed responses gratefully appreciated! :) :) :(

Thank you in advance...

Simon.

Atomic Energy of Canada, ITS Dept.   | on /bin/sh.  Any questions?
             I do not speak for my company, only myself!

This message has been sent without using Microsoft Exchange Server 4.0

2. sed: deleting lines from a file

3. Please, Please help this poor fellow...

4. kdm: font for real user's name

5. Calling all Linux Guru's - Please help a poor soul.

6. Newbie Q: Where do I go with iptables?

7. PLEASE HELP THIS POOR SOUL [linux newbie]

8. What is Metro X?

9. A question from a Linux beginner (please help!)

10. Beginners help with linux please

11. Beginner to Linux, Mail server, Please Help

12. LINUX instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!Subject: LINUX , instalation problems, PLEASE HELP !?!

13. Please help this poor newbie...Install problems!!