"can't find library 'libX11.so.6'"

Post by Who » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Well, I seem to be having a problem with XWindows here.. For whatever reason,
the vast majority of programs I attempt to run under Xwindows give me an
error message of some sort; always it's because it can't find or load some
library file..

First off, I'll give a description of what I'm running (briefly):

kernel 2.0.21
Xfree86 3.1.2
fvwm95 2.0.42a

Now, whenever I try and run any program - "xterm", "color_xterm", "xedit",
"xv", etc.. (files which ARE there, btw), I get either:

xv: can't find library 'libX11.so.6'
xtetris: can't find library 'libXaw.so.6'
xterm: can't load library 'libtermcap.so.2'

Now, the problem here is that those library files actually ARE there, and
ldconfig seems to be able to find them - I've done ldconfig -v, and all of
those files come up in there..

check the newsgroups all that often...
--

                "A man talking sense to himself is no madder
                 than a man talking nonsense not to himself."

"can't find library 'libX11.so.6'"

Post by Bal Soo » Sat, 08 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Well, I seem to be having a problem with XWindows here.. For whatever
reason,
>the vast majority of programs I attempt to run under Xwindows give me an
>error message of some sort; always it's because it can't find or load
some
>library file..

Stuff deleted...

I also had a similar problem. The fix is to get your swap file settup
properly. Thanks to Mark Stewart for pointing it out to me.

--
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Brockville
Ontario Canada
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"can't find library 'libX11.so.6'"

: >
:
: I also had a similar problem. The fix is to get your swap file settup
: properly. Thanks to Mark Stewart for pointing it out to me.
:
: --
: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Brockville
: Ontario Canada
: ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
:
:
:
: Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of my employer.
:
It would be nice if you included what Mark Stewart had in mind in
terms of "setup properly",  Here is a copy of a request for help I
posted earlier:

Subject: Help! xinit: can't load library 'libXmu.so.6'

Hi -

I've just installed XFree86 on my Linux machine, and am going through
the XF86Config.  When I try and run startx, I get:

xinit: can't load library 'libXmu.so.6'

The man page for ld.so says this implies a corrupt library, but it is
the library off the slackware distribution.

Now, my /etc/ld.so.conf file contains:

/usr/local/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib
/usr/openwin/lib

but when I run ldconfig, I get:

/sbin/ldconfig: warning: can't unlink /usr/X11R6/lib/ (Operation not
permitted)

which perhaps has something to do with startx's complaints.  I am able
to run X directly, but if I try and start any X client (eg. xterm), I
get the same error as given by startx.

Can anybody help?  Please reply by email, I'll summarise and post any
useful info.

Thanx,

Menahem

Post by Mark Hea » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: Well, I seem to be having a problem with XWindows here.. For whatever reason,
: the vast majority of programs I attempt to run under Xwindows give me an
: error message of some sort; always it's because it can't find or load some
: library file..

: Now, the problem here is that those library files actually ARE there, and
: ldconfig seems to be able to find them - I've done ldconfig -v, and all of
: those files come up in there..

Sounds like you've got a binary format problem.
Usually because the binaries are a.out format and the libraries are ELF.
I had exactly the same problem whe I upgraded my machine to ELF.  All the
old (a.out) Xapps wouldn't work, I simply re-compiled them, or copied the
binaries off my distribution CD.

hope this helps.

-- mark heath                   | Netspace Online Systems

"can't find library 'libX11.so.6'"

Post by Wolfgang Goette » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I see that you got already two different answers, let me give you a
third one:
Try to make a symbolic link from libX11.so.6 to a library with a
subversion number called libX11.so.6.x (x as integer) if such a
library exists:
   ln -s libX11.so.6.x libX11.so.6
and another one from libX11.so to libX11.so.6 with
   ln -s libX11.so.6 libX11.so
Check it out and see whether it helps.

Good luck!
 Wolfgang

"can't find library 'libX11.so.6'"

Post by Rick Christophe » Sat, 15 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Linux and XFree86 so please excuse my ignorance.

I'm having display problems with XF86. I'm using a Cirrus GD5426 with a
junky Mitsubishi DiamondScan 14. The horizontal scan of the monitor is
30-38.5 and the vertical scan is 40-90 and the bandwith is 30mhz. The
problem I'm having is that the screen is so small that I am able to
scroll vertically by moving my mouse, when I reduce the virtual size in
XF86Config, there is no more scrolling but some applications are too
large for the screen. Xtetris dissappears off the bottom of the screen
as does Xedit.

I know that its possible to configure this setup so this doesn't happen,
since I did have it working at one point (my very first install, when I
just guessed some of the settings)

I would appreciate any tips on how I can resolve this.

Thanks

Rick Christopher

Post by Michael Or » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> : Well, I seem to be having a problem with XWindows here.. For whatever reason,
> : the vast majority of programs I attempt to run under Xwindows give me an
> : error message of some sort; always it's because it can't find or load some
> : library file..

> : Now, the problem here is that those library files actually ARE there, and
> : ldconfig seems to be able to find them - I've done ldconfig -v, and all of
> : those files come up in there..

> Sounds like you've got a binary format problem.
> Usually because the binaries are a.out format and the libraries are ELF.
> I had exactly the same problem whe I upgraded my machine to ELF.  All the
> old (a.out) Xapps wouldn't work, I simply re-compiled them, or copied the
> binaries off my distribution CD.

> hope this helps.

One way to tell for sure is to use the "file" command on the executables
in question.  It will tell you whether you have an a.out or an ELF type
binary, and then do the same for the library.

--
F. Michael Orr
Sr. Systems Engineer