ThinkPad, boot freeze, lilo.conf append mem

ThinkPad, boot freeze, lilo.conf append mem

Post by Ryan Lovet » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 I noticed that a friend's ThinkPad 770x running 2.2.16 (RedHat 7.0)
detected only 64MB or so of his 192MB RAM so I added
  append="mem=192M"
to his /etc/lilo.conf and reran lilo. Booting froze after restart after
the apmd message and before the RTC message. He has not touched his
installation or built a new kernel or anything.
 Is this a symptom of an incorrect lilo configuration or ...?

Thanks for your time,
Ryan

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I noticed that a friend's ThinkPad 770x running 2.2.16 (RedHat 7.0)
> detected only 64MB or so of his 192MB RAM so I added
>  append="mem=192M"
> to his /etc/lilo.conf and reran lilo. Booting froze after restart after
> the apmd message and before the RTC message.

It may be that the Thinkpad devotes a bit of the memory to some other use.
(This is the case with my 380XD and my 560X.  See whether the bootup
screen really reports 192*1024 kB.)  If so, you can probably make it work
by telling it to try 190M or 191M.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

ThinkPad, boot freeze, lilo.conf append mem

Post by Ryan Lovet » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> I noticed that a friend's ThinkPad 770x running 2.2.16 (RedHat 7.0)
>> detected only 64MB or so of his 192MB RAM so I added
>>  append="mem=192M"
>> to his /etc/lilo.conf and reran lilo. Booting froze after restart after
>> the apmd message and before the RTC message.

>It may be that the Thinkpad devotes a bit of the memory to some other use.
>(This is the case with my 380XD and my 560X.  See whether the bootup
>screen really reports 192*1024 kB.)  If so, you can probably make it work
>by telling it to try 190M or 191M.

>--
>Paul Kimoto
>This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,
>hyperlinks, or the like shown here have been added without my consent,
>and may be a violation of international copyright law.

Yep, "mem=196032k" worked. I found this on a ThinkPad 600 page somewhere.
That person also suggested testing these values out by specifying them at
the boot prompt ('linux mem=196032k') instead of lilo.conf until a working
value was found.

Thanks,
Ryan